PDA

View Full Version : Married rosters

Winston
13th Aug 2001, 22:07
Just wondering what the married roster system is in other airlines. The airline I work for does have a system but it doesn't work at all in fact I see less of my good lady than I did before. If anyone has any experience with co-ordinated rosters for example how they are put together and if they work I would appreciate any feedback. Ta

Mr Angry from Purley
13th Aug 2001, 22:44
I'm sure if I speak to my other arfs firm they will arrange her roster pattern around my roster.......

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Disruptive
14th Aug 2001, 10:41
Winston, the current rostering system we use at the airline I work for has a buddy bidding system available to Cabin Crew, but if crew use this option they are unable to request specific trips or days off. The system can provide a 100% success rate of flying together for a whole month, but can drop comsiderably depending upon company requirements. Crew can also buddy bid with different grades. ie CSD with a junior. :)

JB007
14th Aug 2001, 11:46
From a rostering point of view, I think it's easier just to try and pair up the days off rather than the entire roster, especially if your shorthaul.

Either way, when I was rostering I usually pre-assigned the married rosters myself rather than letting the computer do it, kind of depends on the size of the organisation etc etc.

Winston
14th Aug 2001, 14:47
Thanks for the replies. As far as I'm aware the rosters in my company are all hand written and they don't use a computer (but I could be wrong) I'm an F/O and my girlie is junior CC and the married roster system worked for 1 roster and then they seemed to forget about it. I flew with a management pilot and he acknowledged that the system didn't work and said that if I could come up with a better system then it would be looked at, but coz I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer not sure where to start......

Disruptive
14th Aug 2001, 15:41
No, it's very simple really, just takes a bit of effort on the part of the people doing the rosters. I hand wrote rosters for years and we had a number of Husband (pilots) and Wife C/A's) teams. Identify the trips and days off, pre assign the same to each couple and away you go. There has to be a little understanding especially from other crews, and the couples don't pinch all the good trips or weekends off.

JB007
14th Aug 2001, 15:56
Ditto with DoneThat!!
Just a bit of effort from Rostering...

Winston
14th Aug 2001, 16:58
Just for info we went onto to the married roster scheme about 2 months ago, when the next roster came out we had the same days off but since that roster we've hardly seen each other. It just goes to show that they can do it when they try but since then it feels like they aren't even trying. I do appreciate that it must be a really hard job organising all these crews and people like me must make it a lot harder.
Thanks again for all the input I think I might have to pop in to rostering and have a chat.

Big Tudor
15th Aug 2001, 00:56
Winston
Definately recommend a personal visit (depending on how busy they are). If you are flight deck and better half (sic) is C/A then it is highly likely that it is two different people doing rosters. I've been to about 10 different rostering / crewing depts in the last 12 months (work not pleasure, honest) and they all say they welcome visits from crew. I know it has been said a million times before but rostering is very often the overlooked and rather neglected cousin of the airline planning world. Remember, they are human too (well most of them anyway)!!!!

Mr Angry from Purley
16th Aug 2001, 00:43
Winston

When you visit the Rostering team then don't forget the chocolates as this has a tendancy
to remind them what a spendid bloke you are.
:mad: