PDA

View Full Version : advice please...re atpl

flyer17
12th Oct 2007, 23:21
hi all , any advice on 40 year old ppl 300 hours inc multi with class 1 going down the atpl training route, at my age?? job prospects?? etc ...thanks...

CAT3C AUTOLAND
13th Oct 2007, 12:07
There are quite a few threads regarding this subject mate, it might be worth doing a search, this question has been asked numerous times.

Good luck with it.

flyer17
14th Oct 2007, 07:58
thanks for reply cat3

Treadstone
14th Oct 2007, 15:18
Hi

A mate of mine has just got a start with a regional, he's 55....

Nozwaldo
15th Oct 2007, 11:55
I'm giving it a go & will be 41 when looking for work. The way I see it is if I don't try I'll regret it, I may be better off financially sticking with engineering but what the hell! Hopefully employers will look at the positive attributes a slightly older candidate has to offer. There is a risk element in wether or not you'll get a job, but in my opinion that applies to all wannabees not just the older ones. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Noz

bluenose81huskys
15th Oct 2007, 12:18
Yee haa...go for it pal. I'm 33 now with ppl, but wont be fully trained until im about 36/37 .....But go fast! The market is good right now but things do change quickly in this game. But if you wake up wanting it and you go to sleep wanting it, then do it!!

Look at it as if having "life experience" that may be benificial and just plain different than the many other young guns going for the same interview. It also makes for interesting conversation on the flight deck when the Captain says "So what did you do before aviation?".

The age of real concern is the mandatory retirement age of 60. Mandatory for 121 operations that is. It helps me figure out best case scenario career earnings, seniority and pay if I stay put, move on, etc. Of course after 60 there are still plenty of job opportunities outside the 121 industry for a pilot with 20 years of experience.

Basically,don't feel held back or at a disadvantage because of age.

flyer17
15th Oct 2007, 22:10
and l very much going for it......just get the odd dout eery now and then...lol.....thanks again everybody for taking the time to reply....

parris50
16th Oct 2007, 18:16
Did my PPL aged 41. Finished MEP/IR aged 42. Got my first commercial job aged 46. Yes go for it!