PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructing in Australia - Need Some Help...?

tropaco
12th Oct 2007, 17:25
Thanks for reading the post I need some help as I am now looking into the possibility of flight instructing in Australia.

I have researched long and hard and looked into a number of flight schools in Perth, Adelaide and Sydney. I am a UK resident and British passport holder and understand that it would be somewhat easy to come across and do an instructor rating in about 9 weeks or so. However my question is how easy would it be to gain sponsorship from a flight school to train and then gain employment for a foreign pilot such as myself? Won't most flight schools want to train an instructor themselves so there are less standardisation issues? I believe that flight instructors are in short supply but does this apply to foreign pilots as well...? If so what is the best way to go about it as I want to do it in one shot - i.e -instructor rating then instructor job straight after as opposed to catching that long flight home and having to re-apply for a visa!?

I have around 280 hrs or so incl around 60 hrs Mutli (which I believe is partially required to move onto becoming a grade 2 instructor -I think I need to also have 100-200 hrs instruction given but not sure correct me if I am wrong?). I willing to commit the time and energy required (my proverbial pound of flesh!) in return for a steady flow of hours, a decent wage, an excellent training environment and some sunshine!

I have looked at the China Southern West Australian Flying College in Perth, Adelaide Flight Training, Johnstone Aviation Services and one or two others any other suggestions would also be appreciated...?

Thanks for reading this post - I look forward to your responses.

Regards
G
:ok:

chief wiggum
12th Oct 2007, 21:15
standardisation

and

a steady flow of hours, a decent wage, an excellent training environment

Instructing you say ?

Paper Planes
12th Oct 2007, 22:01
I believe that flight instructors are in short supply but does this apply to foreign pilots as well...?

The biggest understatement I have heard all this month!

It's worldwide mate. :D

a decent wage
Well I wonder why there is an instructor shortage with a decent pay of 15,000 pounds a year? :rolleyes:

training wheels
12th Oct 2007, 22:47
However my question is how easy would it be to gain sponsorship from a flight school to train and then gain employment for a foreign pilot such as myself?

If you're looking for a training organization that will sponsor your flight instructor's rating and then give you a job after it, contact Beijing Pan Am (http://www.panamaviation.com/en/Enrollment/index.asp). It's not quite Australia, but close enough.

echelonq
12th Oct 2007, 23:55
Try flight Training Adelaide, they will possibly do it, they sponsor a fair amount of South Africans to man their ranks.

Aussie
13th Oct 2007, 00:00
I think china southern offered something similar not long ago! Thats in Perth by the way.

bushy
13th Oct 2007, 00:37
Someone is advertising what you want in yesterday's Australian newspaper.

Berner
13th Oct 2007, 09:23
It was Singapore flying College offeing sponsorships for return of service, not China Southern. They're also in Perth. Basair in Sydney just advertised a free Gde 3 rating for 2 years return of service. If you want to give your pound of flesh, basair's the place. Everyone wants instructors right now. You also don't need the twin time for upgrades, just a min 50 command and 10 on type before you can get multi training approval