PDA

View Full Version : GAPAN Fail?

TheoAD
12th Oct 2007, 13:56
I was wondering to see whether there are many on here or people know of others who have failed to pass the GAPAN aptitude test. Yet go on to successfully complete an integrated ATPL course.

I attended the GAPAN test on Thursday and sadly failed. Making my complete answer 80 / 180 (90 is a pass). I understand the test we did are a fairly new battery of tests and things have been changed.

Anyone care to comment? :)

rick0
12th Oct 2007, 14:15
imo if your 100% determined to get there you shouldnt worry too much.. yes it gives an indication.. but arent the tests like spatial awareness, numerical + verbal reasoning etc? if you didnt prepare too much then ok but FTE etc use pilapt (right?) and I know you can prepare for them with tests (pilapt prep) and books like speed mathematics.

so uh yeah, dont get too down about it :ok:

Gav28
12th Oct 2007, 16:28
If you don't have it already you could have a go at doing your PPL and see how you get on with that, if you find that a struggle then maybe its time for a rethink. Its expensive but if it saves you blowing 60k+ on an integrated course it may be worth it. At least you will get some indication of your ability to fly a plane.
Or have another crack at the tests in 12 months just to make sure.
I've spoken too a few people who take the tests knowing they will carry on regardless of the result, and just hoping they may score highly enough to use the letter as leverage in getting themselves a loan for an integrated course.

I also took the tests on Thursday, from what I understood the last test was a new one, and I also thought the hardest one of the lot. But not sure how it compares to previous test batteries. Out of interest were you given your score, I thought they weren't allowed to tell you? The guy hinted at mine but I would have been interested to know the exact mark out of 180.

Blinkz
12th Oct 2007, 16:53
you could just try sitting the assessments for one of the integrated schools, OAT or Jerez etc and see what score you get on those. If they fail you too then you probably need to reconsider...

nickyjsmith
14th Oct 2007, 14:57
Hi There,

The tests are thr RAF'S latest pilot tests, they are hard as they are looking for people for Euro fighter, etc. The RAF pass is 100, 115 for fighter pilot as a minimum.
I took them in April and passed, they are not supposed to give your scores but if you can upside down read or read through the back of the interviewer's notes you can see your score sometimes! Anyway, I completed the OAT tests, they are not as hard as the last three tests at Cranwell, as long as you had the basic co-ordination in the early tests, give it a go, as some have said it's better to spend £200 finding out if you have got what it takes for intergrated.
Also, getting your ppl asap would be a good move if you don't go the intergrated route, you can ask your instructor then.
Many people have gone on to be good pilot's after failing these kind of tests, they are looking for high standards of capacity to learn, not just fly. If you go modular it can be at your pace.
By the way get a class 1 medical before you start if you are serious and i guess you are if you paid for GAPAN.
If you want it go for it, determination is some thing they don't measure but it make's all the difference!
Start early, i have only a few years left to get started as i'm 41 but i am determined.
All the best.

TheoAD
14th Oct 2007, 23:58
Thanks for the replies guys.

I managed to find out the result by looking, I too was told they are not allowed to tell the score. :=

As I have 0 hours under my belt (with a class 1 medical). My plan is to go have a shot at doing a PPL before starting an integrated course. Sure, I am determined and understand that with a given amount of £££ and hard work - licenses can be gained. It's more a case of whether or not the position can be sustained with regular OPC's. :ugh:

nickyjsmith
15th Oct 2007, 11:56
Hi,
Thats what the squadron leader told us at the pre test briefing, using these latest tests. 120+ is what is needed for fast jet. by the way the RAF upper age limit is 23 now where as the RN is still 26. Due to problems with mental capacity reducing with age, the RAF lowered it as they are having big problems getting people for Euro fighter with all of its systems, in-helmet,etc. Even current tornado pilots are having issues is what we were told.
I sneeked in with 140, so not everything old is passed it !!

All the best.