PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Distance Learning-Opinions?

Robbo0885
12th Oct 2007, 11:56
Hi all. Very much due to work commitments (i.e. i need to work or else i have no money for flying) I am intending to do my ATPLs distance learning. Does anyone who has done ATPL distance learning have any brief comments about how they found the workload? (Presumably those who did distance were probably working full time too?)

Also, I believe the ATPLs must be done within 18months of starting, even D/L, correct? I was wondering if there would be an advantage to buying the ATPL manuals and reading through them before starting the actual D/L course. I say this becuase I will not be starting the ATPls for at least anotjher year. In the meantime, I'm thinking get a head start?

Thanks for all comments.

Frankly Mr Shankly
12th Oct 2007, 12:18
Hi Rob, just from my own experience of distance learning with BGS a few years ago, took me about a year to complete the course and pass the exams, and that was with about 3 hours a night study average (ok, sometimes less when I really wasn't up for it) and usually at least one fairly busy study day at the weekend, whilst working a 9 to 5 job.

But if you disciplined in your approach to the study, and set regular goals for your progress (in fact BGS kinda did that for you), then Id say a year or so is probably about right, whilst working full time. I'm sure it could be done a tad quicker, but that suited me.

As for any advanced reading, if it was me, I wouldnt necessarily try and race ahead with ATPL stuff, simply because without being on a course and having a timeline and structure to it, it could appear a bit daunting...however I would really read things like the PPL Thom books again and get a very thorough understanding of subjects like met, nav, if you have a very good PPL level grasp of these things, it really does help at ATPL.

Good luck.

bluenose81huskys
12th Oct 2007, 13:28
You Have Pm Robbo!!

Lazy Gun
12th Oct 2007, 17:02
Also, I believe the ATPLs must be done within 18months of starting, even D/L, correct?

Yes that's right. As stated in the LASORS 2007 you have to complete your study with an approved FTO within 18 months. You also have 18 months to finish the exams from the date of your first sitting. So basically you have two time limits at work here.

LG

bluenose81huskys
12th Oct 2007, 20:53
I Thought it was 18 months from the day you take out the

Distance learning course with a school??????? which

includes 18months to study and take the exams

ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE?

davey147
12th Oct 2007, 21:16
No, You have 18 months to pass all the 14 exams from the first sitting. Not from when you enroll on the course.

helimutt
12th Oct 2007, 21:19
AFAIK, you start studying. Then, when you sit the first exam(s), you then have 18 months to completely pass them all.

That's more than enough time to pass them all if you want to pass. I did them all in about 10 months DL without pushing it too hard.

PS, I am thick!!!;)

Lazy Gun
13th Oct 2007, 08:18
Link:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=90&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591

LASORS 2007 section G:
The aim of this course is to train pilots who have not yet received the theoretical knowledge instruction during an integrated course, to the level of theoretical
knowledge required for the ATPL(A). Applicants will be required to complete 650 hours of ATPL theoretical knowledge instruction at an Approved FTO within a period of 18 months. An applicant shall be the holder of a PPL(A) (excluding NPPL) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1.

LASORS 2007 Section J:
A candidate must complete all required written examination papers within 18 months of their first sitting, using a maximum of 6 sittings and no more than 4 attempts at an individual paper within the 6 sittings. The papers can be attempted in any order. A Pass in an examination paper will be awarded to a candidate achieving at least 75% of the marks allocated to that paper.

I hope this helps to clarify things. But no matter what it's clearly best to complete them in as short a time frame as you can! I do not suggest rushing through the study to the point of not actually learning anything properly- everyone will have their own pace set by personal circumstances, commitment, work etc...

LG

matt85
13th Oct 2007, 17:30
Im doing Bristol GS and finding it really, really good. I obviously have no basis for comparison but its very thorough and I must know dozens of people who have used it and no-one has yet has had a bad word to say about it, which is obviously pretty unique in flight training!

Irish_Stu
17th Oct 2007, 16:55
So the pass mark is 75%, anyone know how much attention an airline will pay to your overall average when applying for jobs? I know a lot of FTOs brag about their 95%+ average, do you need to be getting these sort of scores to be looked at?

Mercenary Pilot
17th Oct 2007, 17:31
anyone know how much attention an airline will pay to your overall average when applying

None at all. :ok:

I once saw it asked on an application form a few years back but it's since been removed from said airlines form. It's far more important to a potential employer that you understand a subject rather than question spot a 95% score.

You will get asked a few technical questions at interview, and A,B,C or D is NOT an available answer. ;)

Turbine King
19th Oct 2007, 07:09
The students get the +95% mark not the FTO :)

gmac1977
19th Oct 2007, 07:26
I'm on my last few exams using the CATS online package (cranfieldaviation.com)

Everything has been included. groundschool, progress tests, FREE jaa question bank if you need it.instructors are v. good

it was only £999. As far as i know, there are no benefits of buying a £2500 DL course from elsewhere.

Look after your money!:ok:

dartagnan
19th Oct 2007, 12:02
I doubt we can find a cheaper & better course than Bristol.
if I had to do it again, I would go to Bristol this time.

Firestarter7
19th Oct 2007, 12:39
And I spent the money I'm saving on hour building

The courses are so good you do not need to spend more

Save it!