PDA

View Full Version : Controlled Rest

Fenwicksgirl
12th Oct 2007, 09:39
Hhmmmm, am i being cynical but....why now????
Wouldnt have anything to do with new FTLs and agreements with CAD would it???
FYI new Vol2-2 amm 409, Oct 11. Controlled rest can be taken with the approval of the commander and only as a last resort to combat fatigue. Words to that effect..
Maybe it went something like this, "Sure NR, 3 man to Europe is ok and 21 hours total duty, but you guys dont advocate controlled naps that we know help combat fatigue, we think that would help your cause."
Naahh, thats a bit far fetched!!!

Buttie Box
12th Oct 2007, 09:51
Three man ULH to Europe, three times a month with three days off in between each one. I mean, one of those wouldn't be so bad on it's own but the cumulative fatigue is already palpable. I cannot help feeling that this will only lead to an increase in genuine sickness levels.

For an airline that purports to be one based on safety, addressing a need to expand the airline by formally allowing one to take a nap at the controls is nonsense. It should be addressed through proper AFTLs, not with what amounts to sticking your finger in a dyke....oh God, that didn't quite come out the way I had intended.

moosp
12th Oct 2007, 15:22
Buttie you're a very naughty boy and should be covered in honey and thrown to the... whatever.

Back to the thread. Controlled Rest is such a spinned phrase, meant to sound comforting and in control. It is neither.

It is a state where because of the excessive flight time rostering of pilots, they become so fatigued that sleep is required in the control seat of an aircraft that is licenced for operation with two crew.

That this should be even written into legislation to extend duty days is appalling. That it was never written into legislation to assist pilots to mitigate the wretched fatigue of the present flight time limitations is worse.

When will management learn? Tired pilots crash.

Buttie Box
12th Oct 2007, 19:45
Now why couldn't I have said it like that the first time?

cpdude
12th Oct 2007, 22:24
When will management learn? Tired pilots crash.

During publication of cause factors following an accident.:rolleyes: