PDA

View Full Version : Flight Dispatch

djb
17th Apr 2001, 02:41
Hi
I am considering going to the states to do a faa flight dispatchers course but I am just curious to know what sort of opportunities are available in the uk for people with the above license?

thanks.

Shed
20th Apr 2001, 03:08
If all you want to do is work in this country then you do not need a FAA licence. Some airline dispatch departments may ask for it, but handling agents wont. I work for Gatwick Handling (GHI) as a flight dispatcher and load planner. It is all in house training. Its a fantastic job that allows you to learn so much about the industry. The pay is not the best in the world but the fun of it all makes up for it. Other handling agents use the same method so I would recomend you get in touch with either GHI, Servisair, Ground Star, Globe Ground there are others at airports through out the country. An FAA licence is asked for in other countries where a dispatch job is payed about three times more and takes on a whole different meaning

vipero
20th Apr 2001, 13:59
FAA courses in USA are fantastic for flight planning, a/p plates interpretation etc...
But do not teach you anything about flight coordination.
In USA they don't care it very much, Fligh Dispatchers make flight plans and that's all...In Europe we generally prepare the flight plan, brief the crew, care the slot, arrange the overflight permissions, call the crew-bus, do the dishes, ask captain's wife to allow him to report on time, check the C class seat availability for the CEO's trip to Australia, pray that after an "A check" the a/c is still able to fly etc...

A FAA license helps, but I would suggest some aspirin instead...

Ciao
Paolo

"Flight Dispatchers tell Pilots where to go"
(this is the motto of the International Flight Dispatcher Academy, Dallas TX).

Speedjeans
21st Apr 2001, 14:24
So Shed is Gaz on the Gaz shop still in "Bach"
And Syrup still in the hot seat?
And is Seb still hauling his arse around the joint?
I worked for GHI down in Despatch for 6 years and left a while ago but will be back at the airport in a couple of days, so so rock on with the "Dudlies" and Tovey would say " Twist u bad boy"
Cheers

------------------
Catch you on the flip side!

romeo747
23rd Apr 2001, 18:31
If you wanna go for a FAA licencse, then I recommend you go to Dubai to the Emirates Training Centre.

The courses there are a joint venture between Emirates Airliens and the Flight Dispatch Training Centre in Dallas. The exams and examinours are the same as in the US - the only difference is, that they are much better, better staff, better atmosphere and the most important - closer to reallity then the ones in Texas.

People who have been there, do get jobs all over the world (as well in Europe).

If you need any futher details - drop me a line.

ETOPS MAN
25th Apr 2001, 03:35
Romeo747

How do you know that the FAA Dispatch course in Dubai is better run than the one in Texas?

I would be interested in your reasons for saying this. I would also be interested in a cost comparison. If you were to include accomodation and living expenses surely it would break the bank!?

I have been looking at various schools for an orgainsation/group on airline dispatchers and your info on Dubai would be greatly appeciated.

EM

------------------

romeo747
25th Apr 2001, 14:27
Etops Man

I have been to both schools in Dallas / Dubai.

The one in Dubai has the better equipment and possibilities, as it is located in the Emirates Training Centre, where you have the Flight Operations Department nearly next door for example.

As well you have the chance to go see things like aircraft engines and so on live in house in the mechanics classrooms.

None of this is possible in Dallas. They will make a tour with you to the American Airlines Dispatch, where you will make a quick tour and you will have time to go to the museum to see some engines.

In regards to the instructors - the ones in Dubai are people with many years of airline experience.

The Director of Training in Dallas for example is a guy, who passed the course a few classes ago and was hired into the position!!!

In regards to the cost - depends from where you come to attend. Flight and so is always in issue. So it might work out the same - or Dubai might be a bit more expensive with the accomondation.

Quality of training is better in Dubai and closer to reality.

If you need more details drop me a note and we could exchange more details via e-mail.

vipero
26th Apr 2001, 13:46
I've been to Dallas (it was Euless actually) in 1995...the best instructor was a belgian guy well experienced. I realize that American Airlines has got a wonderful stadium full of dispatchers and an even more better Crisis Room from where you have a nice view of the dispatcher's stadium...

Anyway I repeat: the FAA courses are very good for flight planning, but never seen or heard anything that can make you learn a drop of ops control.
Hey, what about opening a training center for operations controllers?? It could be a good business...

Ciao
Paolo

djb
29th Apr 2001, 17:54
Thanks for all your replys they have been very usefull in considering my future. I am currently working in flight ops and in a few years I will be looking for a new job around the Manchester area and I just want to be prepared. If anybody could reccomend any other courses though I would very much appreciate it (apart from the city and guilds course in flight ops and dispatch as I am already doing it). Thanks again.