PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter what country you obtain your JAR-FCL?

paul k
11th Oct 2007, 21:07
Hello, I was told today that it matters a great deal in which country you obtain your JAR-FCL (F)ATPL. I inteneded to do mine in Greece because it was much cheaper there. But someone had told me that I'm better off obtaining a CAA (F)ATPL. Some companies in EU won't hire you if you have a JAR-FCL from say Portugal or Spain (etc...) unless the company that is hiring you is of that country. I just want to keep all my options open.

Can anyone confirm this?

Paul K

Speed bird 002
11th Oct 2007, 21:14
Stay away from Egnatia Aviation in Kavala, Greece!......trust me. :)

veraviametro
11th Oct 2007, 23:01
Once you do your Atpl in a JAA authority has equal value with an english one,the only one cares MAYBE is British Airways so in this case you pay some 400 pounds to make convert it to an english...

A guy finished 6 months ago his Cpl and IR flying in egnatia,Greece he flies now avro regional jet in a well-known company and even before he started flying the avro 2 different airlines with 320s offered him a job.(he also did a type rating in 320 before he got into avro)

So as you see it doeshnt make much difference where u finish as long is a jaa country

Jetfive
12th Oct 2007, 05:23
veraviametro, you're full of s:mad:t.

stop telling lies on this forum.

(if anyone wants to read about veraviametro's bias, check his other posts :rolleyes:)

wbryce
12th Oct 2007, 12:04
Vera, it may not make a difference in terms of getting that little book but thats not the only objective. Alot of people consider standard and type of training as a main factor and thats why the likes of me avoid places like Egnatia.

This training lays the foundation for your career ahead.

paul k
12th Oct 2007, 18:11
I was thinking of doing a distance learning course for the (F)ATPL through a company in Rhodos.

I was told by a guy working for a JAA/CAA approved FTO in the U.S. that it can matter greatly which country issues your JAR-FCL. But he may have been telling me that so I spend my money there instead, or not. I want to be carful before I spend the big money for the conversion that I am not closing any doors.

Thanks to all those who have responded so far.

PK

dimitris_m
18th Oct 2007, 09:03
If you are thinking about FAS in Rhodos, doublecheck everything they offer you before making a decision.

anacortes
29th Nov 2007, 06:26
Details? Some hints?

paul k
7th Mar 2008, 21:34
i want to re-open this topic... my original question wasn't really answered and some how got on the topic of egnatia.

all i want to know is will an air operator perfer one jaa licence's country of issue to another? is it in my best interest overall to just go for a caa licence and that way all my bases are covered because the caa is the highest regarded of all jaa licences. if this is logic is wrong please correct me.

pk

LH2
8th Mar 2008, 11:48
This seems to be one of those favourite points of discussion amongst student pilots.

I see your profile says you're from Canada, so I take it you're looking to train somewhere in Europe for a JAR-FCL?

Surely if you ask active pilots of any nationality they'll all tell you their licences got them a job. OTOH, the answers you will get here in an anglophone, mostly UK-centered forum full of students and wannabes (hence by definition, people who have not got the t-shirt), I doubt they will carry much authority.

But in any event, I'm not sure you are focusing on the right issue. Perhaps finding a place to train that you like, can afford, and feel satisfied with, is more important? At the end of the day, your competence as a pilot is exclusively down to you and the effort you put into it, the only difference being that making whatever choices are right for you may help you realise your potential. Remember those choices are not universal.

FWIW, I know that some continental pilots do their training in the UK as a way to improve their English skills. I suppose that is an advantage. However, not sure how much that'll help if English is your mother tongue in the first place...

In any case, from my personal experience, I would not say a UK-issued licence is generally considered any better than that of any other JAA country... except by the Brits themselves, of course, but that's the way they are. :)

I'm saying this anecdotically because I had problems hiring aircraft in the continent with my British PPL... people assume you've trained in one of the Florida schools and therefore can't fly. Best case, they're amused by the sheer volume of it (it's a DIN A-5 sized book), but that's all.

As for the CPL, if I were to do my commercial training again, I would not choose to do it under the CAA. Too expensive and too full of themselves. The only advantages being that there are exam sittings every month and they're reasonably quick with the paperwork (again, you pay for the privilege).

And to put things in perspective, remember that if you intend to make a career out of it (unlike some of us), getting the licences is not even half the battle. All it does is gives you the right to send a CV. So you might want to start thinking on a plan for after you become qualified--the licences, you just throw money into it and you eventually get them.

Anyway, it's all been said before, but the blurb above is to help substantiate my answer to your question:

all i want to know is will an air operator perfer one jaa licence's country of issue to another?

I do not know. I doubt anyone here can answer with any authority. It might not be a very relevant question to start with.

Hope this has helped. Best of luck whatever you do :ok: