PDA

View Full Version : Netgear router modem USB connection?

ShyTorque
11th Oct 2007, 20:42
Today I've bought a Netgear wireless router, a WGT624 v3, to share my PC's broadband connection with my laptop.

Having gone through the setup CD (initially couldn't get it to run and in the process of getting it to work I deleted my ISP settings, which took a bit of sorting out), I find the diagram shows a separate cable connection between the modem and router, in addition to the LAN cable. The problem is that my modem (Thomson Speedtouch 330) only has a single built in USB cable (which goes directly to the mother board) and the cable connection to the telephone wall socket. There is no way to connect a USB cable to the new router. I'm using a built-in LAN connector on the motherboard, btw.

Am I missing some thing very numptily obvious here, or do I need to buy a non-USB modem, which would presumably mean an older model? I'm more than a bit disappointed, as I thought everything was simple USB these days.

Saab Dastard
11th Oct 2007, 20:54
If your modem has no ethernet, and your router has no USB, you are stuffed, my friend!

You might find it possible to get hold of a USB - ethernet adapter dongle, I don't know for sure - maybe someone else can advise?

What you may be able to do is to use the wifi router as just a wifi / wired switch, then use Internet connection sharing (ICS) to well, share the internet connection. The PC connected directly to the modem provides the internet connection via USB, and the PC also has a wired connection to the Netgear, to which your laptop is connected wirelessly, so you can then use the PC as a bridge to the internet from your laptop.

A bit of a pain to set up, but possible - and obviously the PC has to be on to allow the laptop to connect.

SD

Saab Dastard
11th Oct 2007, 21:14
Forgot to add that you could simply buy a combined ADSL modem / wifi router / firewall device, such as the Netgear DG834G WIRELESS-G ADSL MODEM ROUTER.

Nothing like getting the right tool for the job!

SD

Background Noise
12th Oct 2007, 06:40
It might be worth trying to exchange it?

Out Of Trim
12th Oct 2007, 12:06
I think the Model you purchased is for Cable Broadband and not for normal BT line type ADSL use.

I would try and exchange it for one with built-in ADSL modem and just disconnect the old Speedtouch 330 modem. That is what I did and no major problems setting that up.

ShyTorque
14th Oct 2007, 20:34
Thanks for the answers, I have now returned the item to the shop and obtained a refund as "unsuitable for the purpose sold".

Even better, I have just signed up for Sky TV which includes a faster Broadband connection than my present one and a modem equipped wireless router!

Saab Dastard
14th Oct 2007, 22:21
Good result! :ok::)

SD