PDA

View Full Version : What's it like in other ops dept's?

DVR8M
7th Jan 2001, 03:42
I'm curious to find what it's like in other airlines's ops departments. I've only ever seen ours.

Not sure what i want to know really?

Same problems? Low pay?

JB007
7th Jan 2001, 14:31
Give us all a brief run-down of your Ops Dept and we'll let you know our comparison's.
Let us know which sector of the business you are in Charter/Low-Cost etc etc

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

BONDMAN
8th Jan 2001, 02:43
007, ours has got 4 walls, 3 windows, nice view of the ramp, a few PC's..can you remember that far back?

JB007
8th Jan 2001, 09:05
Bondy,

You cheeky monkey !!!!

See you later,

------------------

BONDMAN
8th Jan 2001, 12:37
007, not on shift and posting at 0505 !!!!

Bondy

paperpusher
9th Jan 2001, 12:35
JB007, what are u doing that time in the morning? are the books keeping u up?
Christmas was a waste, and I can't remember New Year..

------------------
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.

JB007
9th Jan 2001, 15:14
Pp,
Yep...exams in a few days !!!

In Essex on Friday if your around ?

------------------

Jump Seat Rider
9th Jan 2001, 16:30
DVR8M - ask Kelly Aviation. They know everything http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

lalapanzi
10th Jan 2001, 03:44
Ah JSR - back from the sands of Dubai then :)
Brought any camel dung back with you.

DVR8M check http://www.aviationjobsearch.co.uk if not done so already, or drop me your CV via e-mail as might, only might be some ops positions in the very near future.

Jump Seat Rider
10th Jan 2001, 15:31
Lala - it was Jeddah actually, but close enough. Whats your opinion on Kelly then ??

Daifly
10th Jan 2001, 20:58
Same **** as your Ops Dept, but a different view out of the window...

DVR8M
11th Jan 2001, 03:45
-lalapanzi-
Thanks for your consideration, but i'm very happy where i am at the moment. I work for a good company.

Thanks for the web-site info as well, hopefully should'nt be needing it for long time.

Wolf-In-Sheeps Clothing
12th Jan 2001, 15:34
I personally think that each Ops room is dependent upon your Ops manager/Director and if your computerised or not......
Dark Ages....Stone Age....again this is dependent on your Manager/Director
I've used R.M and now Acrobat as Rostering and Ops/Flight Watch systems and Air Data and Jeppesen for planning/weather.
Anyway how about an Ops/Crewing Union?

------------------
Watch Out....

lalapanzi
13th Jan 2001, 03:52
JSR - ummmm, now didn't we discuss this before http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/guus/drunk.gif on the forum about kelly.
Anyway keep partying

http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/net8/partytime.gif

SNOOPY 22
17th Jan 2001, 01:26
DVR8M,
in response to your question, whats it like in other ops depts?
well I work for HeavyLift Ops at STN and can safely say its pretty good - obviously you get the blame for most things and as im sure other guys from other airlines will say ' its just the nature of the job'
Shifts are good - loadz of time off
12 hour jobs - rolling 24 roster ( example below)
2days, 2 nights 5 off
3days 2nights 5 off
2days 3 nights 4 off
work is certainly varied and you learn a lot.
Pay could be improved - not great & not too bad.
hope that partially answers you question

Albert Slong
17th Jan 2001, 06:43
SNOOPY 22
HHHmmmmmmm Ive been looking at your threads.. I take it you didn’t take the job in the portacabin for 23K + grief did ya.

That is if you are who I think you are...

[This message has been edited by Albert Slong (edited 17 January 2001).]

SNOOPY 22
18th Jan 2001, 00:13
Albert Slong,

in response to 'atke it you did'nt take the job in the shed for 23k a year & grief'

well yes I did but now im off very shortly - back to happylift -
it's funny - u dont reallly realize a good ops dept until your gone

Just got bored of the grief and the shifts at 'the shed'

vipero
18th Jan 2001, 21:29
Italy here:
1) low pay;
2) many troubles ("the chairman's doughter missed that flight in Australia...can you do something?" at 3am friday with a couple of AOG's in progress in nice and fully assisted places like RockSound, Bahamas and CayoLargo, Cuba);
3) flight planning system outage when pilots report in the office;
4) same vhf call "we missed the slot 30min ago, can you arrange a better one?...";
I love it! I swear

OSMA723
18th Jan 2001, 22:47
Yea we've all been there and I bet it was the crew complaining of a 10min slot delay

As one Ops director I knew kept doing in stressful times - was to lie flat out on the floor shouting f*** it....numerous times

He says he felt much better afterwards

Keep em flying.

OO-AOG
19th Jan 2001, 15:50
snoopy22

How are doing your Belfasts these days?
I remember an interesting jumpseat on Fox Tango while working at TNT...

Rgds from GVA busy ops.

The Groover
19th Jan 2001, 20:12
Grief at the Shed ??????????????????
Well snoopy, the only stress I ever experienced at the old shed was whether or not to have another pint in the Grafton at 03:00 before a shift !!!
Surely it cannot have changed that much ???? I felt like Dick Turpin when my salary was paid in each month, £24,000p.a for doing next to nothing, and you call that grief ???? Not once did I ever experience any any real grief in the shed, sure there was a bit of ranting and raving, but did you not think it was really funny ??? Then again I suppose it is how you deal with her, my advice is be firm, she likes that !!!!!!!
Anyone would think it was Geko Industries rather than a small regional with F*****g good pilots, F*****g good engineers, F*****g good hosties (ooo yes !!) and a damn fine social scene.
Why did I leave ??? Pure greed !!!!!

The Groover, with his tounge firmly in his cheek (makes a change!!)

Iceman80
21st Jan 2001, 18:28
I agree with Wolf, the environment is dependent on who the Ops Manager is and whether your computerized or not.

We have a great (and knowledgable) Ops Manager as well as having a refurbished office with new phone system and nice TFT screen monitors (anti-cancer!). The Ops crew in general (apart from one or two DO's) make the environment very relaxed!

Same s*** different day is a common thing across all Ops as it would seem. Being Ops Asst don't get too much though! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif)

------------------
Thats a fine thing!

Rapid_Climber
22nd Jan 2001, 17:04
Nice too see Snoopy 22 has gone back to suckle on the dark teat of mother HeavyLift. I used to be an ops officer @ Heavylift but have since moved. I always found that their ops dept was always behind the technology drag curve, and the back up was mostly not even 80%, but the guys you work with make it worth while, they had too the money was terrible. I feel if it wasn't for the team spirit I would have left there a long time ago...

------------------
Sit on your hands for 10 mins and it will all get better!

[This message has been edited by Rapid_Climber (edited 24 January 2001).]

BONDMAN
26th Jan 2001, 02:55
Hey Rapid-Climber, I see your getting the hang of this pprune thing! I agree with your post that money at happylift is not good but team spirit amoungst ops was/is excellent, but unless they do somthing about the cash people will start to walk, no matter how good the environment is.

12many
26th Jan 2001, 22:53
I must agree with Rapid-Climber & Bondman, the pay at Happylift could be better, but the team spirit is the one good thing in ops. Speaking of which whats happening to the Ops Beano ?

Rapid_Climber
27th Jan 2001, 06:08
Nice thread 12many, but I'm sure that my sign on your notice board would be enough. Currently looking good for AMS, now that will be a moral boaster, poss for Snoopy 22's birthday again. Maybe you can lose you virginity!
I now moral after you pay reveiw is an all time low, so get your CV draw up now.

------------------

BONDMAN
27th Jan 2001, 06:57
12many, Ops Beano last seen in 'Cyril the taxi' travelling east to CGN, but seriously get yourself a F/M on that new bus you got- cos you won't know what busy is until all the bods in back start ringing 150 times a day!

12many
27th Jan 2001, 15:28
Bondman, I wish I knew what they were doing with this pax bus! You see, you may recall, we in ops are the last to get told anything of any importance.

BONDMAN
28th Jan 2001, 04:59
12many, speak to the cleaners..they seem to be the first to know what's happening.

Rapid_Climber
28th Jan 2001, 17:08
12many, not ness to ask the cleaners, just put the right questions to your new ops manager, once started he tells you everything!(in Irish accent "Can you tell me about the force?").
I have said a number of times now, I'm willing to sort out the hostess' for you, could even do some rostering, BARK, BARK!

------------------

BONDMAN
29th Jan 2001, 03:03
Rapid-Climber,
'I'm willing to sort out the hostess'
unquote
oh my goodness..dream on! they'll show you and the billericary kid no mercy :)

If I can revert for a second back to the thread, Wolf-in-sheeps-clothing posted reply about a computerized ops room vs a manual one. These are my experiences in the last 3 Ops dept. I've worked in,
Ops A / was manual then went computerized but in both cases was a nightmare, as not enough back up support or organization, we went from one crisis to another.
Ops B / all manual, the dept. was well organized and had plenty of support staff, life was relaxed and it ran well.
Ops C / all computerized, again plently of back up and well organized.

Ops B at the time had the most a/c of all three and still worked ok with manual systems.So IHMO as long as the management set up a good structure then you're ok either way.

Cheers Bondy

[This message has been edited by BONDMAN (edited 28 January 2001).]

groundclown
30th Jan 2001, 03:53
Working in SNN. Office in Kind of ok.

Don't do flight planning. Leave airlines do their own stuff.
Local Met office does the Weather. Just pick the fax's up off the tray and hand them out.
Manual on 24% of the airlines we handle.
1 airline load controlled from LGW. Spend a lot of time running to a/c with bits of paper.
Money Sucks, but it's better then pushing cans around a Hi-Lo at 2am :-)
Training depends on the airline. Only eight on the roster to provide 24hr coverage. 4 needed on the am shift so the overtime is quite freely available.

GroundClown

PiperChauffeur
4th Feb 2001, 01:05
The environment in the dispatch office??
Doesn't it all come down to how close the office is to the passengerdepartments office (and thereby the chicks)?? <G>
PC