PDA

View Full Version : Start Age Discrimination Legal Action

CYRILJGROOVE
11th Oct 2007, 16:25
Surley an Age Discrimination case must be looming against CX.

IT is taking a few days to digest what CX may have opened themselves up to with their latest fiasco Cos 08.

It initially appears that all pilots except for all line pilots based Hong Kong are able to work pretty much on their current contracts until age 65. Bad luck for those A or B scale Captains in HKG it seems, but actually the discrimination is going to include just about all FO’s as well, no matter where they are currently based.

To me, and hopefully lawyers around the world, this COS 08 has got to be the purest example of discrimination based solely on age that one could ever cobble together. One can only see calamity ahead for CX if they insist on this crazy path of blatant age discrimination, they even admit in print they are Age Discriminating and will only stop it if the law requires them to. Well AOA let’s get cracking on the legal aspect!

The bases for Captains will obviously fill quickly with senior crew as a result of this ill conceived, but typical CX styled, imposed offer and few if any Captain bases will be available in the future. Lets assume a FO on say a LHR base decides to bid his rightful command slot in seniority in HKG on the Pax fleet (forget the queue jumping cheap Freighter Capts) The FO has just given up the right to work to 65 that he had on his existing base in LHR and he is going to be forced to retire in HKG at 55 . All First Officers will by default. choose to retire at 55 if they wants to be a Pax Captain in Discriminatory Hong Kong .

The FO’s are going to get royally doubly screwed, not only are pilots staying beyond 55, slowing command with zero compensation, the FO, when becoming a Capt will have to retire at 55 because he is in good old discriminatory HKG, where CX don’t care for discrimination issues and where the retirement age is 55!!!. It is going to be a very short command career for the current FO’s. They said commands were going to be quick in CX but I don’t think they meant it that way!!

I guess the silks in the UK and elsewhere would have to decide if the only way to progress to command means moving off the base and giving up the right to work to 65 is fair and reasonable. Yep move to HKG, get promoted and cut your career by 10 years??? Seems Fair!! Well Cathay fair!

So, as mentioned on other threads, age 65 retirement is only available to a select few current Captains on (or going) a base and predominantly everyone else has to retire at 55 unless you are C & T. It is just not fair and reasonable let alone legal in most places. For those who been around a while, this the company punishing the AOA and employees for not accepting the first offer and I for one are fed up with their bullying methods

The membership must force the AOA to act on this, it is just a sick joke that the company can propose such age discriminatory policy to suit themselves, hanging all of the First Officers and all of the HKG line Captains out to dry on this issue. Shame on CX.

The membership must push the AOA to rectify and initiate legal and media action on this blatant case of age discrimination. As for the non member bludgers, don’t worry the weak ones will pay for you, devote time and effort and you just hang on for the free ride puss balls.

404 Titan
11th Oct 2007, 23:24
CYRILJGROOVE

Very good point and well said.

Numero Crunchero
12th Oct 2007, 01:19
There are too many half truths and outright lies in GMA's message to comment on. Let me explain the original intent of RA65/CoS08.

The original intent was that you could sign over now or later on when you want to go on a base. There was NO intention of restricting HKG to 54 and under.

HKG base remaining with RA55 has been done to scare people into signing over to CoS08. There is no need.

An example.
Lets say you join on 31/12/07 (CoS99) as a 35year old SO. You will get bypass pay within about 18months and continue to receive it until you are upgraded to FO at 3-4year mark. You will spend about 9-11years as an FO(in HKG) but for the last 3-4 years you will get command bypass pay due to all the geriatrics on bases. You then get your HKG command at age 47-50. You then bid for a basing and due to ongoing retirements you will get one by the time you reach 55. Of course it is possible that HKG may introduce age discrimination in the next 15 years but I wouldn't count on it.

So there is no need to sign over to CoS08 for many years to come unless you think you will never get a basing this side of 55.

I realise that many senior SOs and FOs will bid for a basing now that command time will blow out. There is no legal reason why CX can't pay bypass pay to FOs on a base. This was one of the more contentious issues of the 'offer'. CX is gambling that SO/FOs will want a basing more than they want over $1-2million HKD each in bypass pay.

Mr. Bloggs
12th Oct 2007, 01:55
Ahh, NC. I have asked this question before but no answer. Why does one have to sign COS 08 if they go on a base? Surely COS 99 and the Permanent Basing agreement will cover that, why switch?:confused:

If you go on a base your current contract states retire at 55. So if you want to retire at 55, don’t sign COS 08. At 55, sign over, there is no need to sign COS 08 to get a base. Must be missing something? The GMA would have you think you need to sign hoping you or the AOA will not take them to court.:rolleyes:

Again, this on-shoring is a red herring. They are clouding the waters only to confuse you. No reason what so ever to sign over to COS 08.:ugh:

CX does not like by-pass pay so they try to swindle the F/O’s to sign over to get a base and they don’t have to.:rolleyes:

How can you stop CX from implementing a unified pay scale? That will continue the rot.:=

How does ASL come to the bottom of the list and receive Direct Entry Captains slots. Surely those slots must come up for proper bidding? It that a breach of contract?:yuk: