PDA

View Full Version : Cabair Equipment

FMSData
11th Oct 2007, 08:38
Morning all,

Could someone who is currently on an Integrated course at Cabair (or someone who has finished) let me know what equipment is provided to Integrated students. I'm starting on 2nd November and am wondering whether you guys recommend any additional bits.

Cabair aren't the best at replying to emails!

Many Thanks

FMS

matt_hooks
12th Oct 2007, 00:50
FMS.

All the equipment you require is pretty much supplied. The only bits you'll need to splash out on are:-

Loads of pencils. I recommend the retractable self propelling type, nothing worse than trying to use a blunt pencil on a CRP-5, or having to sharpen them every five seconds.

Loads of pens. I got through at least one biro every couple of days, and I'm not a big note taker.

Loads of paper. Normal pads of lined A4. You WILL take lots of notes, even though the course notes are provided. I suppose hard backed notedook type books would work too.

Lots of A4 ring-binder files (the big lever arch kind). You will need at least one per subject. Some more than one. My method was to have a "working folder" in my flight bag with the last couple of lessons notes for each subject in, and then separate subject folders at home which the notes were transferred to periodically. Saves you having to lug hundreds of kilos of notes around and gives you an opportunity to study, cogitate and inwardly digest the notes as you file them.

A couple of packs of A4 dividers, for notes again.

A set of highlighter pens. Good for highlighting important pieces of information, and great for making pretty pictures in those boring law lectures!

And that's really about it.

I would recommend getting yourself a set of the super fine permanent marker pens for your chart when you start flying, but that will be a way away yet.

So, in terms of expensive stuff, very little to buy, though you WILL spend a fortune on stationery.

Actually, the most important purchase on your list will be a subscription to the Bristol Groundschool website. Cabair are developing a CBT package, but in the meantime judicious use of the Bristol site will help to consolidate the work done in the classroom. Hell I got through Performance, P of F, ops and law almost entirely because of Bristol!

Good luck with the course, enjoy!

Oh, and I'll have the inevitable can of beer out of your flight case in payment for this sage advice! :}

Matt

Edited to add, buy yourself a good, big hole punch. The bigger the better! You will be punching a LOT of holes, and your classmates will love you forever! :)

FMSData
16th Oct 2007, 20:18
Thanks alot Matt, that is very helpful info. Only 2 weeks now!

Are you still at Cabair?

FMS

A and C
17th Oct 2007, 07:29
MATT_HOOKS states that when on a Cabair course he subscribed to the Bristol goundschool website and that he past a number of subjects due to the input from the Bristol website!

It is time for you guys to start thinking about spending your money with Cabair if the fully approved integrated course that you are paying for requires more money and input from another training provider to bring you up to exam standard.

This and the fact that Cabair are not replying to emails raises questions about the quality and value for money of the course.

It would seem to me that in the light of the post by Matt_Hooks the place to spend you money should be Bristol............. I bet you dont have to buy extra training when you buy your training from Bristol !

Keith.Williams.
17th Oct 2007, 11:36
If I may quote you A and C,

"............. I bet you dont have to buy extra training when you buy your training from Bristol !"

Unless things have changed recently, that is exactly what the BGS students have to do. Having paid for their training they are then required to pay extra if they want to use the BGS online database.

matt_hooks
18th Oct 2007, 09:51
A and C, my post was perhaps a little misleading regarding the Bristol ground school.

I, and several others, decided to subscribe to the BGS website in order to maximize our chances of achieving good grades.

I could have passed the exams purely using the Cabair information and feedback questions. All the information is there, I just found the online presentation easier, horses for courses.

The cost of the BGS subscription, £50, is a small price to pay for the convenience of a clear, concise online format.

I did state, I believe, that Cabair are developing a similar setup. What form that will take I'm not sure, but it will almost certainly be provided free of charge to students on the integrated course.

biaeghh
18th Oct 2007, 11:01
It looks like cabair are more efficient at responding to threads on pprune than emails sent to the company by their customers, enough said.

chris-squire
18th Oct 2007, 12:33
Hi Guys,

I passed the Cranfield assessment 2 weeks ago today and am now waiting for my parents to help me sort out the funding with a view to starting up there in March 08.

Be good to hear form any past or present students. Or even anyone looking to also start in March.

Cheers

Chris

ryanbarker747
20th Oct 2007, 21:52
Hey Guys
new here to the forum
Im a UK Citizien but living in the u.s, i also plan to go to cabair but at wellsbourne, if im correct there intergrated right? can someone tell me if the New Bucks Aviation course advertised on the cabair site is worth it? its about 40,000 pounds for the 3 years and it gets you to MCC but on the website it doesn't mention Multi Engine(uni website that is), any info would be great on cabair and the university
Cheers
Ryan

t.ogden
22nd Oct 2007, 09:09
ryan are you talking about the new buckinghamshire university course?if so im currently on the 2nd year of the course and must say lovin it atm....although not specifically mentioned on the website you do get your multi engine and also night rating.

and other questions regarding the course feel free to ask.

kpd
22nd Oct 2007, 22:28
t. ogden delighted to hear you are enjoying course-met their rep. in Dublin and he seemed very enthisiastic. What do you think major benefits of having a degree will be in future?

matt_hooks
22nd Oct 2007, 22:43
biaeghh, if you are implying I'm cabair staff then you are wrong. I'm currently a student with them (albeit only for one more day, final day of sim for the MCC tomorrow! WOO HOO!)

Ryan, the only integrated course that Cabair do is at Cranfield. The Wellesbourne course is modular, as is the BCUC course.

I know a lot of the guys on the BCUC course and most of them seem fairly happy with it.

t.ogden
23rd Oct 2007, 07:59
kpd i think that the degree is useful to gain a better understanding of the industry that you are aiming to work in..it also serves as a back up should anything go wrong or in later life your medical prevents you from flying.

i feel it also is attactive to airlines as the degree covers managerial skills making you more flexible for an airline and hence more useful.