PDA

View Full Version : help me out here

cometwins
11th Oct 2007, 04:21
Hey everyone
I have a dliemma with choosing an airplane for my ppl.
My loca FBO costs $119 for cessna 152 1978model
$134 for eclipse da-20 2004 model
$135 for cessna 172 1983 model
$97 for J3Cub 1941 model
$112 for citabria 1974 model
I want to get trained in eclipse but it's so damn expensive and for cessna 152 it is still expensive for an old model of 152.
Should I get trained in J3Cub even though it is for a sport flight?
Would I get a same training in J3Cub as I were trained in cessna?
Since J3Cub is old, I assume that it lacks new technologies.
does it matter at all??
All the local FBOs around here cost pretty much same as this one
sucks too live in OC, california
anyways
any help would be appreciated

matt_hooks
12th Oct 2007, 01:06
134 dollars an hour expensive? You have NO idea how lucky you are to be able to say that!

I guess the answer is, decide which type of aircraft you're gonna want to fly and learn in it.

Not much point pootling around in a cub if when you get your licence you're going to want to fly something with all the mod cons. Might be ok for the basic stuff, you know, push forward houses get bigger, pull back, houses get smaller again, keep pulling back houses start to get big again REAL quick, but not much use if you'll be moving on to something that goes twice as quick so you have half the amount of time to do things.

I guess the school and instructors would be the best people to talk to about which aircraft is right for the type of flying you want to do. Jst remember take their advice, but you need to decide. Don't be bullied into flying the most expensive aircraft if they can't give you good reasons why it's better to learn in that than one of the cheaper options.

Still think you're a lucky fecker though. We pay that much in pounds sterling per hour, for a clapped out old PA28 that just barely starts!

A and C
12th Oct 2007, 14:59
If you can fly the Cub well you will be able to fly any of the other aircraft with no trouble at all !

Untill very recently the Israeli air force used Cub's for primary training and they have the reputation for producing some of the worlds best fighter pilots.
It was not lost on the IAF that basic "stick & rudder" skills are the building blocks of being a good pilot and only once you have mastered these skills you can go on to the new technology.

Over the course of training using the cub will save IRO $1400 that you can use to learn to button push in the other aircraft.