PDA

View Full Version : Operations Employment

Ferrett
2nd Aug 2001, 03:42
I am considering moving from Australia to the UK.

I have been in the aviation / operations industry for the past seven years and was wondering if anyone could provide any information on gaining employment with a UK based operated and any idea of the salary's on offer.

Thanks

Clare_Write
2nd Aug 2001, 06:18
Are you sure you're going in the right direction?

Ferrett
2nd Aug 2001, 12:08
CW

The grass isn't always greener on this side of the world.

Can't be that bad...can it?

TicketyBoo
2nd Aug 2001, 22:34
Ferret-

It can - imagine New Zealand without the vibrant economy and competent government - and you'll have a good idea of the UK!

TicketyBoo

fullthrottle
3rd Aug 2001, 17:29
ferret,

funny old thing, I am just about to start the paperwork to move from UK to Australia. Perhaps we could job swap? Any advice you have for me?

TicketyBoo
3rd Aug 2001, 22:34
Ferret,
More practically, for vacancies look on www.aviationjobsearch.com (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com) or www.totaljobs.com (http://www.totaljobs.com)

Salaries here vary enormously, I suppose the industry standard must be round about £20k, but there are companies paying as little as £12k, and of course companies paying more (Don't know what this works out to in Oz money).

Bear in mind living costs here also vary enormously - the nearer you get to London, the more expensive the property.

If you're determined to come here, Good Luck!!

TicketyBoo

CIV5C
3rd Aug 2001, 23:11
Same for me as for Fullthrottle, Ferrett.
Moving Europe > Australia beginning of next year.
Any ideas on where to get a job (preferably in QLD - NSW area) and on salaries?
Could you drop me a mail?
Tks

Nearly Christmas
4th Aug 2001, 02:26
If you want the big buck’s then head to the London area Stansted and Luton average for a ops controller is about £23,000 sterling that’s about 625.00 AUD if you want to work around Heathrow or Gatwick then add another £2,000 to it but the cost of living is much higher in those areas. However if you want cheap accommodation and good beer then up north is the best place to be….

Good luck
:D

ETOPS MAN
6th Aug 2001, 06:15
For those of you looking at moving to Aussy, try Ansett in Melbourne. They have been recruiting Flight Despatchers (Licence not required)in recent months as expansion is on.Money is around $55,000 AUS plus range. Only prob is that there is an ownership chess game going on at the moment with Air NZ/SIA/Qantas, could get exciting!!

GroupWatcher
6th Aug 2001, 19:32
Suppose the Ansett job is only interesting in case you have citizenship or an immigration visa, right?

Cat-Club
6th Aug 2001, 19:52
Hey, nearly christmas - did ya hear from Golden Wonder ?? :eek:

Nearly Christmas
6th Aug 2001, 20:13
Cat-Club
Not heard a thing from GoldAir I recon they read these threads and put two and two together.... A bloke from Manchester who wants to move 200 miles+ South to work for a GA operator, cant be to many of them applying for the job.
Why the interest are you an employee or did you apply as well.

rgds NC

:eek: :confused:

Cat-Club
7th Aug 2001, 12:02
NC - I have plenty of contacts in this business ;) Don't worry too much about not hearing back. Nothing lost :rolleyes:

Ferrett
9th Aug 2001, 07:10
Thanks for the responses guys.

Who is Air Atlantique and what do they operate / where do they fly etc?

Ferrett
9th Aug 2001, 07:27
Fullthrottle / CIV5C

Nice idea on the Job swap, however not really something that can be achieved for various reasons. Would make life easy though!

Australia is fairly limited in the areas of employment in the operations area. The biggest players in Australia are:
1. Qantas (mainline)
2. Ansett Australia (mainline)
3. Virgin Blue (mainline)
4. Kendell (regional)
5. Hazleton (regional)
6. Sunstate (regional)
7. Eastern (regional)
8. Southern (regional)
9. Airlink (regional)
10. Air North (regional)
11. ****** (regional)

Qantas and Ansett are very hard to get into as people make their careers from these airlines and the turnover is very small. The other issue is that they tend to employ internally rather than going to the marketplace.

The best options are actually Virgin Blue and National Jet who run the operations for Airlink (QF regional).

Virgin Blue (Brisbane) have been recruiting for some time now and are paying about AUD$50 k. National Jet (Adelaide)pay around AUD$40 k plus overtime. Both Brisbane and Adelaide are great places to live.

The work is good and the turnover reasonably high. If you want contact details for the relevant people at National Jet or Virgin, let me know.

Good luck

[ 09 August 2001: Message edited by: Ferrett ]

CIV5C
10th Aug 2001, 21:32
Very interesting, Ferrett!
Would be very interested in the contacts at Airlink (got the one for Virgin Blue) and - given the reply to this topic above - also for Ansett if you happen to have that one.
If you'd like some contacts - although non-UK - over here please drop me a mail.
Thanks

Lifeguard27
16th Aug 2001, 00:14
Ferret

There is a position open with IJS in the LHR area for a Operations Manager money is good but a lot of work, mostly admin.

The ops "GUYS" are real good to work with.

LG

Lifeguard27
16th Aug 2001, 00:32
Ferret

Gidday

The website for the Ops position mentioned earlier is : http://www.ijsltd.co.uk

CIV5C
26th Aug 2001, 21:55
Ferret,
Where are ya? Would still like to get the contacts at Airlink. Heard some stories about them from a couple of pilots and it seems to be a nice company.
Got time to post them?
Thanks

ladyboy
27th Aug 2001, 00:34
Maybe someone can help me.
Does anyone know how to go about getting a FAA Dispatch Licence? :rolleyes:

moufflon
28th Aug 2001, 04:55
"ladyboy"

this topic has been totally over-cooked recently - look back a few weeks, you'll find all the info you need.

M

Ferrett
28th Aug 2001, 05:50
CIV5C

Sorry about not providing the information earlier regarding NJS (Airlink) Operations in Adelaide.

The Operations Control Manager is Chris Dinnison. I spoke to him this morning and said I was going to pass his contact details on. Give him a call if you wish to discuss aspects of the job.

+61 8 8238 7200 Phone
+61 8 8238 7112 Facsimile
[email protected]

If I can help you out at all, please let me know.

Good luck.

CIV5C
1st Sep 2001, 13:38
Thanks a lot Ferrett
I am currently on a holiday but will get in touch with him as soon as I get back.
Appreciate your help.
Thanks

The Groover
5th Sep 2001, 13:24
All this blatent job advertising i dont know, if you can't beat em, join em.
Any Ops Assistants looking for a step up, or someone with a good knowledge of GA, maybe in exec handling etc should go to www.flygama.com (http://www.flygama.com)
or e-mail me direct.

TG

GWYN
7th Sep 2001, 03:58
Just for info: Ansett have a freeze on all employment at present.