PDA

View Full Version : His Honour Judge Flying Lawyer

Legalapproach
10th Oct 2007, 16:49
From todays Times our very own Flying Lawyer has been elevated to the ranks of the judiciary.

JUDICIAL APPOINTMENT

HM The Queen has appointed Tudor Wyn Owen to be a Circuit Judge on the advice of the Lord Chancellor.

The Lord Chief Justice has assigned him to the South Eastern Circuit, based in Snaresbrook Crown Court London with effect from Monday 29 October 2007.

His Honour Judge Owen is 56. He was called to the Bar in 1974. He was appointed as a Recorder on the South Eastern Circuit in 1991.

Many deserved congratulations Tudor :ok:

Farrell
10th Oct 2007, 16:51
Congratulations! Great news!

maxdrypower
10th Oct 2007, 17:03
Just remember then Your Honour , should I ever appear before you as a profesional witness , I always agreed with you and think your sterling fella ,
Congrats

Say again s l o w l y
10th Oct 2007, 17:14
Well Done Mi Lord........

At last someone with a sense of reality! I'll bet the CAA are pleased until they end up up in front of you!

lexxity
10th Oct 2007, 17:42
Well, very many congratulations to you!

CR2
10th Oct 2007, 17:46
Well done indeed! Congratulations!

:)

PingDit
10th Oct 2007, 17:49
Very well done and congratulations! :ok:

Whirlygig
10th Oct 2007, 17:49
Congratulations Tudor! I'm thrilled for you! :D :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

Basil
10th Oct 2007, 17:52
Wait a minute!
Could be bad news if he is no longer permitted to plead. Don't know and lawyer nephew is out.

Nevertheless, Hearty congratulations. :ok:

Tom the Tenor
10th Oct 2007, 18:17
Nice one. Well done! There'll be a vacancy for a tipstaff now!

Sir George Cayley
10th Oct 2007, 18:31
What a delicious scenario...

You, up before His Honour accused by CAA Plod of low flying, say your Hawker Hunter, over I dunno - the Isle of Black.

CAA put their case, towit you were seen proceeding in a westerley direction a tad lower than usual.

Your defence. Afternoon Tudor, Good flight wasn't it?

Case dismissed! Costs? Er about £48,000. Agreed:ok:

Oh if only.........

Sir George C

green granite
10th Oct 2007, 19:22
Many congratulations Me Lud. :ok::D

High Wing Drifter
10th Oct 2007, 19:27
Our very own Judge John Deed :ok:

BEagle
10th Oct 2007, 20:33
Heartiest congratulations to Tudor Owen, the well-known PPRuNe 'Flying Lawyer':

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Aviation/ULAS.jpg

(Taken a few years ago when we flew Chipmunks together at the University of London Air Squadron)

'Flying Lawyer' is to get some circuit time in - as the 'Flying Judge'!

Congratulations, Tudor. Your terrific contribution to the good of aviation and the well-being of aviators in trouble is well-known and much appreciated - all the best for your new responsibilities.

Sorry I can't make it to your celebration shindig - but have a great time.

vaqueroaero
10th Oct 2007, 20:33
Congratulations FL! :ok:

Unwell_Raptor
10th Oct 2007, 20:36
Well done, Your Aviating Honour.

Life will be different for Tudor from now on, as he will have to take the judges' vows of silence. It can sometimes be a bit lonely on the Bench, apart from working with brother judges, because everything he says and does will be subject to scrutiny by the Press in particular. The CAA will probably be glad to be rid of a thorn in their side though, because he habitually made mincemeat of their prosecutions.

I shall resist the temptation to say anything about motoring offences, since he will only see a few of the very worst, other than on appeal from the lower court.

Good luck HHJ Tudor Wyn Owen, and I wish you well in dispensing justice to the rough folk who live in and around Snaresbrook.

Clarence Oveur
10th Oct 2007, 20:43
Does a PPRuNe membership give you a discount?

I am only joking. I realize Tudor is Incorruptible.

TBirdFrank
10th Oct 2007, 21:00
All shades and classes contribute to Ppprune - could there be more eloquent proof? - I do trust this won't mean less of the erudite contributions!

Wedge
10th Oct 2007, 21:16
Many congratulations, Your Honour. ;) I'm sure you will make an excellent Circuit Judge.

I wish you well in dispensing justice to the rough folk who live in and around Snaresbrook.

And that's just the Barristers.

West Coast
10th Oct 2007, 21:16
Congrat's. You'll fit in well with all the other judges in La Jolla.

What Limits
10th Oct 2007, 21:23
Rotorheads veteran and scourge of the CAA Enforcement Branch, Flying Lawyer is now a Judge!
Well done Tudor
More info here
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=295673

RAT 5
10th Oct 2007, 21:24
Tounge in cheek, and not wishing to put a dampener on matters, but have not many others been castigated for identifyling aliases, or was this one well known hitherto?

Well known hitherto.
PPRuNe Admin

Bellerophon
10th Oct 2007, 21:39
Tudor, Many, Many Congratulations,

I'm sure there will be those within the CAA legal department also celebrating your elevation to the Bench, although a few of them, just possibly, for slightly different reasons!

Anyway, I'm delighted for you, and I hope you find your new position both interesting and fulfilling.

Best Wishes, Your Honour,

Bellerophon.

John Farley
10th Oct 2007, 21:51
Don't you just love it when something sensible happens!

Sincere congratulations Tudor

John

P.Pilcher
10th Oct 2007, 22:03
Yes - Congratulations. It presumably means an end to the many learned posts we have had the pleasure of reading and which have improved our legal knowledge so much over the years. It would be nice to think that a new poster may appear with a similar grip of legal matters and whose real identity will remain totally confidential - purely to discuss aviation matters of course........ I'll say no more!

P.P.

flugholm
10th Oct 2007, 22:07
I take it, a circuit judge can only deal with air law things happening within the traffic circuit of EGXY aerodrome, right? :E

Anyway, big congratulations from me! :ok:

treadigraph
10th Oct 2007, 22:16
It's great to hear some good news :ok:

Many congratulations FL, and I do hope that your new duties will still leave you ample time to indulge in some aviating and PPRuNing.

Treadders

Lord Mount
10th Oct 2007, 22:20
And from one who catches, investigates, charges and puts the miscreants in front of Your Honour may I add my congratulations.

As I work within the catchment area of SNCC will I now have to declare a conflict of interest if any of my cases come up in front of yourself?

LM

3top
10th Oct 2007, 22:23
Doesn't a judge have the right or even obligation to do right!
So when the CAA and/or defendant come up with hogwash he should/could just throw 'em out - literally?!!

Just an idea, probably saw to much Law&Order stuff on TV...

Congratulations Sir!!

You're goin' to change your call sign now?

3top:cool:

PS: Funny thing is that a lawyer is supposed to do the best possible for his client, whether it is right/just or not....
He is a Lawyer not a Judge...

Now it is the other way around for "Flying Judge"...
I assume you have some "discretion" available...

mini
10th Oct 2007, 22:44
Congratulations FL, I'm sure you will find some way of staying with us here.

Lord Mount, surely that should be "investigates" then "catches"... :E

FL will have you if you get muddled on that one. :ok:

Granite Monolith
10th Oct 2007, 22:49
His Honour Judge Owen is 56

Looks more like 66:p

paco
11th Oct 2007, 00:23
Oh Gawd! I'd love to be there when the first ANO prosecution comes before him! :)

Congratulations, and well done. At least there will be someone on one bench who is in touch with modern life (without prejudice to any others that might be there!)

Phil

Tinstaafl
11th Oct 2007, 01:00
Well done! Wonderful to see such a knowledgeable, rational & thinking person appointed to such a position.

Does this mean you can ask your own searching questions directly to the CAA's lawyers & witnesses to determine where the truth may lie? Or must you only consider what defense & prosecution present?

BTW, if I should ever be up before your beakiness, will a simple "It wasn't me, your Honour" do for me to be acquitted?

Loose rivets
11th Oct 2007, 05:16
So are we all invited to a bash in New Hall ? ;)

Mac the Knife
11th Oct 2007, 05:25
Congratulations FL - damn good show.

:ok: Mac

soggyboxers
11th Oct 2007, 05:40
Hearty congratulations Tudor. Most of us only get called to a bar to partake of something which makes us then do stupid things. You were called to a different bar and have moved on to something which will at times call for you to exercise the judgement of Solomon. If your previous experience and your many wise posts on here are anything to go by, I'm sure you'll do a great job. Very well done yer Honour :ok:

haughtney1
11th Oct 2007, 05:40
well done FL :ok:

Parapunter
11th Oct 2007, 06:20
Congratulations Tudor, may your gavel always be noisy!:ok:

VfrpilotPB/2
11th Oct 2007, 06:47
Very well done Tudor,

Must make you exceptionally proud,

Peter R-B
Vfrpilotpb

VfrpilotPB/2
11th Oct 2007, 06:47
Very well done Tudor,

Must make you exceptionally proud,

Peter R-B
Vfrpilotpb

Unwell_Raptor
11th Oct 2007, 06:48
No judge or magistrate in England and Wales uses a gavel in court - ever!
That's the Americans, you see.

mfaff
11th Oct 2007, 08:41
Well done FL.

Very impressive for sure. I hope you can retain your clarity of thought, expression and overall sanity in your new role.

All the best.

CRAN
11th Oct 2007, 09:10
Many Congratualtions Tudor,
All the Best,
CRAN
:ok:

GrumpyOldFart
11th Oct 2007, 09:27
Look at them all, kissing up to hizzoner! Just in case, I suppose.

Case - geddit? Oh, never mind.

And spare a thought for how lonely poor bjcc is going to be now.

Seriously, though - Congratulations, FL!

:ok:

scruggs
11th Oct 2007, 09:29
Nice one Tudor - many congratulations :ok:

Cheers

S

John Eacott
11th Oct 2007, 10:13
Congratulations, Tudor :ok:

Taildragger67
11th Oct 2007, 10:21
Well done, HH Judge Owen I look forward to reading your judgments. :ok:

Rat 5,

You raise a good and valid point, but FL has been known to - and his achievements much admired by - the PPRuNe community for some years now.

Sleeve Wing
11th Oct 2007, 11:49
Heartiest congratulations, Tudor.
How choice to have a man of conviction (!) and common sense on the Bench.
Very well deserved.

......................but what do we half-wits do now if we need a hand ?
As suggested, new callsign ? :ok:

FLI
11th Oct 2007, 12:04
Tudor, very many congratulations on your well earned appointment.

We really are honoured to have you amongst the Rotorheads community

I know that you will keep your keen humour and sense of fair play when you are Sitting. Just go easy on the barristers!

FLI

Slopey
11th Oct 2007, 12:08
< doffs cap respectfully

:D

PilotsPal
11th Oct 2007, 12:33
Snaresbrook is, I believe, the largest court complex in the country, dealing with everything from naughty little toerags to some of the most dangerous people in the country. I've done jury service there three times and thoroughly enjoyed the two or three week escape from work on each occasion. I reckon I'm about due for another summons and will certainly make an effort to see our old friend ensconced on the bench.

VeeAny
11th Oct 2007, 12:52
Tudor

Congratulations on your appointment.

Gary

rotorboater
11th Oct 2007, 12:56
Congratulations Tudor, well done.

Are you still able to do defence work as well?
(Hopefully never need your services though!)

MarkD
11th Oct 2007, 13:04
Who's going to keep the Campaign Against Aviation honest now?

A Magistrate writes (http://tinyurl.com/274q9y) about His Honour's appointment:He is a long way from the judicial stereotype, being a qualified pilot of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft and an expert aviation lawyer. He has regularly come out on top in courtroom tussles with the Civil Aviation Authority. Last time I heard, he had a part share in a WW2 aeroplane and a Gazelle helicopter, but if he has to live on his salary, they may have to go! He is also a devotee of fast cars and fast driving - the latter may also have to go.

SASless
11th Oct 2007, 13:17
As we wander through life, we sometimes run into a person that makes the trip a bit more enjoyable. Our man FL is just one of those rare folks that stand out amongst the crowd. I consider it an honour to have been allowed to know him and have the distinct pleasure to have shared a cockpit with him.....my last helicopter flight actually.

All the best in his new endeavour...."it's your Honor" now.:D:D

DozyWannabe
11th Oct 2007, 18:08
I've never been part of a discussion that you have sir, but every post I've seen of yours I've regarded somewhere between respect and awe.

Cap doffed.

Ripline
11th Oct 2007, 20:32
Lemming-like, I hasten to add my congratulations to all of those above. Every now and again the Establishment does something of which all right-thinking citizens can heartily approve!

I only met you once and sat enthralled by your gentle lecture that expanded our understanding of the Law and the CAA......

Best Wishes, Your Honour. I fear that the nom-de-plume Flying Lawyer will not grace this forum again and I understand why this might be so, but we will be the poorer for it, and I thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience with us.

Soft Landings!

Ripline

Wedge
11th Oct 2007, 21:09
JUDICIAL APPOINTMENT

HM The Queen has appointed Tudor Wyn Owen to be a Circuit Judge on the advice of the Lord Chancellor.

The Lord Chief Justice has assigned him to the South Eastern Circuit, based in Snaresbrook Crown Court London with effect from Monday 29 October 2007.

His Honour Judge Owen is 56. He was called to the Bar in 1974. He was appointed as a Recorder on the South Eastern Circuit in 1991.

Great news, but now that he is a fully fledged Judge he will be subject to the scrutiny of the press and the public gaze; and the heavy duties and responsibilites of his new job mean that sadly for us we will no longer have the benefit of his eloquent and learned posts here in JB.

You'll be missed around here, Tudor. Well done again and best of luck in your new appointment. :ok:

Granite Monolith
11th Oct 2007, 21:18
Pfft!

Already we're all mere mortals - hasn't even bothered to acknowledge this thread, has the new Judge. Looking down on us all, he is!

:}

3top
11th Oct 2007, 21:37
THE FLYING JUDGE

...doesn't that sound good!

NO copyrights attached - go for it!

3top:cool:

kevmusic
11th Oct 2007, 22:30
I have read and learned from your many sage and learned posts, and am now toasting your success. Sober as a lord, my judge! :} :)

Kev.

con-pilot
12th Oct 2007, 01:07
Great news, but now that he is a fully fledged Judge he will be subject to the scrutiny of the press and the public gaze; and the heavy duties and responsibilities of his new job mean that sadly for us we will no longer have the benefit of his eloquent and learned posts here in JB.

You'll be missed around here, Tudor. Well done again and best of luck in your new appointment

What, no tea or coffee breaks? If true about your soon absence thank you for all of your insightful posts and the calm voice of reason in this non-intellectual vast waste land known as Jet Blast. :ok:

Bahn-Jeaux
12th Oct 2007, 06:59
doffs cap respectfully

and respectfully tugs at forelock whilst bowing and scraping.

Congratulations.

Flying Lawyer
12th Oct 2007, 07:09
Granite Monolith
By coincidence, someone accused me of ‘looking down’ on him only a few weeks ago – a defendant with a long history of mental health problems facing trial for murder. He added, as he dispensed with my services, that I was useless – which some might say showed that his mental health problems weren’t quite as severe as the medics thought. (He was, in due course, convicted of murder.)
I see you haven't posted much. I hope in time you enjoy PPRuNe as much as I have.

Thank you all so much for your (far too) generous comments; they’ve meant a lot to me.
After two years flying Chipmunks in the University of London Air Squadron (when the picture posted by BEagle was taken), it was a difficult choice between continuing with my original plans and applying to the RAF. Although I've loved my time at the Bar, I think I would have been just as happy as a professional pilot. Luckily, my aviation practice has enabled me to combine both interests - although I can't help notice that friends who went the RAF-BA route have either recently retired on handsome pensions or will do so in the next few years so maybe I made the wrong choice. ;)

Being sacked by that defendant deprived me of finishing my career at the Bar with one final murder trial, and meant a case I did in a magistrates court the previous week turned out to be my last. However, for various reasons, I wasn’t disappointed by that. It brought back memories of cutting my teeth around the mags courts more than 30 years ago - a challenging experience for young counsel learning how to defend - and, best of all, we demolished the prosecution witnesses' allegations, won the case and were awarded costs. The thrill was as great as winning my very first case all those years ago - and with the added satisfaction that the client was a professional pilot accused of low flying (in a Hunter). I’m going to miss cross-examining witnesses.
Sir George Cayley (post #11), obviously knows about the case - and that I had a very enjoyable 45 minutes in the Hunter a few weeks later. :)

I’ve learnt a great deal from PPRuNe over the years which has not only helped my learn more about flying but, on occasions, helped me in aviation litigation cases. I’ve always found professional pilots to be extremely generous with their time when I’ve wanted help, and if I’ve managed to put something back into the pot in legal threads, it's only a small contribution compared with what I've been given.

Sadly, one of the consequences of the new job is that I won’t be able to post about legal matters again. I’ve enjoyed taking part in PPRuNe, and I’m going to miss it.

Thanks again for your very kind comments.

FL

kemblejet01
12th Oct 2007, 07:16
An honour to know you FL.

Is it true that you have NEVER lost to the CAA?

KMB01

Howard Hughes
12th Oct 2007, 07:50
He may not be able to post, but I bet he'll be lurking!;)

Congratulations, thank you for your wisdom over the years and I wish you all the best.:ok:

WeatherJinx
12th Oct 2007, 08:11
Congratulations FL - well deserved.

Vankem Spankfaart
12th Oct 2007, 08:30
FL,

It's a shame that you'll no longer be able to post about legal matters - to people like me (non legal) your clear interpretation of the points of law, regardless of whether you agree with them, has been enlightening.

Hopefully, you'll still be able to contribute, and have some fun, but under the "Flying Judge" moniker.

Good luck.

V

pitot212
12th Oct 2007, 08:37
Very well done Tudor, fantastic achievement.

Best regards,

Bill

Brilliant Stuff
12th Oct 2007, 11:45
You learn something new every day.

Well Done Tudor!!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:
Congratulations!!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

LowNSlow
12th Oct 2007, 12:34
Many congratulations Tudor, at least you get to spend your time in Court sitting down now. :ok::ok:

Davaar
12th Oct 2007, 12:50
Transatlantic congratulations.

Graviman
12th Oct 2007, 13:15
Congratulations, Flying Lawyer! Albeit more modest achievement, i just got my quantum physiscs exam out of the way. Nearly a certified physicist, as well as chartered engineer.

brickhistory
12th Oct 2007, 13:25
Well, I guess if one is going to be 'outed' on Jet Blast, this type of announcement beats many other scenarios....................

Well done, sir!

Binoculars
12th Oct 2007, 13:31
Not the first time I have thanked FL online, but his unsolicited, wise and free counsel to me at a time of anguish will not be forgotten.

Congratulations, sir.

moosp
12th Oct 2007, 14:22
A well deserved elevation for one whose objectivity and dogged research has done so much to support aviation law in the United Kingdom, against those who would use it for their political advancement.

On a personal note, make it a goal to fly as many different helicopters as you can. It's a tip I got from pprune and it is amazingly accurate in its perception of the wealth of knowledge and skills that you will gain from each type.

Rotorbee
12th Oct 2007, 14:33
Ok, congrats .... but could somebody please enlighten me, how the English system works and how becoming a judge is such big step in a lawyers career?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

tigerbatics
12th Oct 2007, 17:14
Many congratulations Tudor. We have done the odd case together over the years and flown together at Redhill many years ago.

I hope you enjoy your new appointment and would only add that when you say you will miss cross-examining witnesses I'm sure that is right. Just make sure you do!

Thud_and_Blunder
12th Oct 2007, 18:06
Rotorbee,

The best, and arguably the most enjoyable, way to answer your question would be to recommend that you read John Mortimer's "Rumpole of the Bailey" stories. You'd also learn where most of us who use it picked up the phrase "She Who Must Be Obeyed" - ie not from the original H Rider Haggard.

Colonal Mustard
12th Oct 2007, 19:06
Congrats Mr Owen

We`ll meet in your court some day soon i`m sure, (and i`ll be on the correct side of the room)

CM:ok:

RETDPI
12th Oct 2007, 19:23
Brilliant Tudor!
Sincere congratulations on such an achievement.
Will be in contact via other means.
RETDPI

Capt.KAOS
12th Oct 2007, 19:46
A Circuit Judge? Does that mean that FL is now sentencing people for overtaking under yellow? ;)

No doubt a gain for Snaresbrook Crown Court London, yet a loss for PPRuNe...

frostbite
12th Oct 2007, 20:08
Wonder if he celebrated with a glass of legalade?

arrow2
12th Oct 2007, 21:02
Congrats Tudor - from a newly appointed member of the part time judiciary!

We shared a beer some 4 or 5 years ago at the Old Bank of England.

A2

VP959
12th Oct 2007, 21:08
I too wish FL well in his new role, but am filled with deep regret that he will no longer be able to act in defence of those aviators that will found themselves in the courts in future, as he has done in such a distinguished way for so long.

His loss as a highly respected defender of those who participate in our chosen interest will be very deeply felt by some, including me and a particular acquaintance.

My hope is that there are more like him, with a similar firm commitment to seeing the law applied wisely, fairly and in the public interest in the sphere of aviation that will rise up to take his place.

Tudor, if you are reading this, as I am sure you must be, then please accept my heartfelt thanks for all you have done.

VP

PS: I hope that you've still given up the smokes, too - you know it makes sense.............

TheMonk
13th Oct 2007, 00:01
Wow! What an achievement. I am in awe... Congratulations your honor! :ooh:

Monk

MaximumPete
13th Oct 2007, 09:56
Congratulations on your recent appointment

MP;)

4PON4PIN
13th Oct 2007, 18:31
Hi Tudor
We communicated in regard to Chas N. and I thank you again for yr advise/info in that regard. I would like to publicly express my happiness in learning of your recent appointment and offer my sincere congratulations. I fail to see why your erudite contributions to these fora cannot be continued, but maybe I am missing something. Doesn't everybody have freedom of speech!!?;)

Up & Away
13th Oct 2007, 20:20
Thank you for your assistance in the past.
Your personal offer of help was very reassuring
well done and best wishes:ok:

llondel
13th Oct 2007, 21:22
Why does the term "circuit judge" bring up visions of a man in a funny wig and tights, sitting in a deckchair with a pair of binoculars somewhere under the downwind leg of an airport, checking the quality of the flying overhead?

Tigs2
13th Oct 2007, 21:26
FL
Great news. You probably know that for £10 pounds you can change your surname by deedpoll to 'Pickles':} Off with his head!!

LProuse
14th Oct 2007, 09:30
I first came into contact with FL during the discussion about pilots who were in trouble drinking. To be more specific, I was the first airline pilot ever arrested and sent to prison for having flown a commercial airliner while impaired (drunk) and I submitted a fairly open and naked account of that event. That event became known as "The Flight 650 Incident" and occurred on March 8, 1990.

After having gone broke, shamed and disgraced nationally and internationally, my sobriety eventually allowed me to return to flying some years later...as the President and CEO of my airline reinstated me to full flight status. He took an enormous risk and gamble on me - and I did my best to vindicate him for doing so. I retired honorably as a 747 captain a few years later.

I am a recovering alcoholic although I didn't know it until my event occurred...which ultimately saved my life and opened the door for recovery and some (now) seventeen and a half years of sober living and a new and wonderful life.

In the aftermath of it all, I've had the wonderful opportunity to work with nearly all of the major carriers in America as they implemented their own programs for recovering pilots. I continue to work with those struggling, both in aviation and out, and I've been blessed with those opportunities.

In the midst of some rather hot and volatile comments on this topic, which were more of an emotional and visceral reaction than studied and informed input, FL's comments were always those of a level and reasoned observation.

So it's no surprise to me that someone of his caliber is appointed to the bench and I believe it is to the advantage of the system itself that this appointment takes place.

Congratulations to you, Tudor, and may the hand of justice always be tempered with mercy and compassion - even as those of us who transgress accept responsibility for having done so and acknowledge our willingness to deal with our consequences.

All the best to you, sir.

Blue skies,
Lyle Prouse
Retired Northwest Airlines Captain, former US Marine Corps captain and Vietnam vet...and former federal prison inmate.

Self Loading Freight
14th Oct 2007, 12:07
Just another "thank you" to Flying Lawyer for his contributions to Pprune.

For better or worse, Pprune is the public face of aviation in the UK. Your presence here has provided an underpinning of common sense, good humour, proportion and reality, Such things are at a premium anywhere, in the legal side of the game doubly so.

Selfishly, I look forward to the day when you hang up the robes and can return to the fray online. For the sake of the judiciary and the realm, may that day be a long way off.

If I ever find myself in your court and I've done nothing wrong, I'll be very pleased to see you... otherwise, I'll bring my toothbrush.

R

Rotorbee
15th Oct 2007, 18:12
Do you still wear those funny wigs? .... And as a judge, you get a longer wig? Or just other curls? How many times you change the wig in a career? Has the number of curls anything to say about the status? Can you buy them at Harrods’s?
I can't help it, but I watched Rumpole once in a while, when I still lived in a more civilized part of the world and I always found those wigs funny. And since TaB said that Rumpole is rather accurate, you guys must have a hell of a time ....
... ah, ok you don't .... you mean that is rather serious ... and elsewhere lawyers and judges lack credibility due to not wearing a proper outfit ... and stiff upper lip and all that…
:=
:}

Flying Lawyer
15th Oct 2007, 22:30
Rotorbee

Do you still wear those funny wigs?
Yes, but for how much longer I don't know. I think they'll disappear in civil cases very soon, and in criminal cases in the foreseeable future.
On balance, I favour keeping them but no longer hold strong views about it.

And as a judge, you get a longer wig?
Yes, but they are worn on ceremonial occasions only.
A judge's 'working' wig is similar to a barrister's wig.

Or just other curls?
All my other curls grew naturally.

How many times you change the wig in a career?
Never, unless you become a judge. (Or unless, as in my case, some thieving git steals your wig as a souvenir.)

Has the number of curls anything to say about the status?
I suppose so, in that judges' ceremonial wigs are long (shoulder-length.) However, IMHO, earning respect when doing a job is much more important than the 'status' that comes with it.
The colour of a wig (judge or Bar) is a good indication of experience - unless he/she bought it second-hand(head). They are made of white horse-hair and go darker with age.

Can you buy them at Harrods?
Not as far as I know.

I always found those wigs funny.
I can understand that, but the Brits love tradition and, contrary to the belief of those keen to abolish wigs (including some judges and barristers), most court users of all categories appear to like them.

TaB said that Rumpole is rather accurate.
I think TaB meant the barrister/judge hierarchy.

You guys must have a hell of a time.
I've enjoyed being a barrister (apart from the ridiculous hours), and hope I'll enjoy being a judge as much.

Elsewhere lawyers and judges lack credibility due to not wearing a proper outfit.
That's not my opinion, nor that of anyone I know.
See above under British love of tradition.

Tudor

redsnail
16th Oct 2007, 22:29
Congrats. It's nice to be recognised by one's peers.

Still got your bike?

Darren999
17th Oct 2007, 01:10
Hello Tudor,

I did post earlier but seems to have 'gawn your honour' :D

Anyways very well done! The Snaresbrook area my now be a safer place! I know the place very well from my younger days with The London Fire Brigade, also growing up in Dagenham, please don't hold that against me. A bit of a commute for to work I assume too. I wish you very well in your new carreer, very well done :D:D:D:D
Darren

DennisK
27th Oct 2007, 20:20
May I join our ppruners in congratulating Tudor Owen.

Akin to making AVM rank at least I imagine.

On a personal basis I met Tudor professionally on just two occasions and all I can say is his presence in a maelstrom of turbulent water was a most welcome sea of calm.

Feeling overwhelmed by a list of CAA charges arising from a simple violation ... Tudor Owen's advice cut through to the essence of a successful defence in an instant, and I'd like him to know his support lifted a massive weight from my mind at a difficult time.

Thank you Tudor and God bless you Sir.

Dennis Kenyon.

ca, t

Justiciar
30th Oct 2007, 11:43
I have just noticed this thread. Congratulations Judge. Your posts on PPRuNe will be very much missed.

Unwell_Raptor
1st Nov 2007, 11:20
Judge Tudor Owen

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/quantic/Chambers600.jpg
Day to day robes worn in the Crown Court

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/quantic/SwornIn.jpg
Being Sworn In (ceremonial dress and full wig) - note the glass!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/quantic/RoyalWarrant_600.jpg
With Royal Warrant (also ceremonial dress)

I have posted these to reassure anyone from the CAA who reads this that Tudor Owen really has given up defence work!

Buster Hyman
1st Nov 2007, 11:23
The wig's a bit obvious...I think you'd have gotten away with a comb over.

Congrats anyway!:ok:

frostbite
1st Nov 2007, 13:12
For some strange reason this brings back memories of a cartoon with one prisoner saying to another "I think you might have got a smaller sentence if you hadn't said 'Who's the old spaniel?'"

digidave
1st Nov 2007, 13:57
Congratulations Tudor.
Well deserved.

P.Pilcher
1st Nov 2007, 22:21
Yes indeed, congratulations again.
One does wonder, however whether our now Flying Judge's promotion and therefore removal from the defence benches was in some way influenced by the Chaps who were so fed up of loosing to him!
I do not wish however such a comment to detract from his fully deserved promotion.

P.P.

Tallguy
29th Jun 2009, 08:45
Would anyone happen to have an email address for the Flying Judge they could pm me please?

Ta

TG

Captain Airclues
29th Jun 2009, 10:56
TG

Why not pm him (Flying Lawyer) and ask? I doubt that it is PC to give an e-mail address without the owners permission.

Dave

Tallguy
29th Jun 2009, 11:39
My bad, I did think just that when hitting post, I can only put it down to poaching my brain in the sun, and it being a monday morning.

Thanks