PDA

View Full Version : RAF eyesight tests

ItsAWingThing
10th Oct 2007, 14:57
Hi people, i badly want to be a pilot and to have a commission in the RAF, but my eyesight wont allow for pilot. So...i am considering WSO instead, as this would allow me to get my RAF commission and be in the air. My eyesight when tested at a highstreet opticians comes out to be, +0.25 (left) , -0.25(right) with about 2D astigmatism in both. But one day i had my eyesight tested with this scary laser equipment and it said my eyesight was a lot worse (even though i can hapily get by without glasses)...oh dear!

My question is (finally), how do the RAF test eyesight. Is it like a standard highstreet optican...or......

Thanks for your help

bowly
11th Oct 2007, 21:40
IAWT,

Try posting in the Military Section of Pprune. There are some very helpful people there but be prepared for some banter as well regarding being a WSO. Top tip.....check your grammar and spelling before you post.....there are also some 'Queens English' dinosaurs lurking!

Best of luck with your flying career...it really is great fun :ok:

Re-Heat
11th Oct 2007, 21:48
If you want to fly, then fly - great job as a WSO, but do you really want to sit in the backseat if flying itself is your passion...

Regarding the eyesight test - you won't find out truly until you apply - what is reported by your high street optician needs to be verified and tested by the RAF. Apply (for pilot, WSO second), and see where you get to. The worst that could happen could be 2 years on the UAS before a civilian career instead...