PDA

View Full Version : National insurance

i.Plane
10th Oct 2007, 14:22
I know this doesn't acutally fit in this forum but I'm a bit worried. I'm a mainland resident doing a contract job in the UK. Tax and NI contributions are being paid through my umbrella. I was told that since I was making these contributions I would fall under the UK health scheme after I have received my NI number.
Now, since I'm not living in the UK I can't get a NI number apparently. Is there anybody with similar experience who can help me?

Additionaly, where I live, you go to a doctor, pay his fee and claim part of it back from a certain office. How does it work in the UK? Do you have a similar office returning these costs?

If anybody can help me?

Loose rivets
11th Oct 2007, 05:23
90 days resident outside the UK and you do not qualify for National Health...and by 'you', I mean anyone, even those that have paid all their lives.

This has been the case since around 1948.

However...a citizen may repatriate themselves and be entitled almost right away.

wiggy
11th Oct 2007, 17:52
Loose Rivet
Um,,do you mean "National Health" as in Doctors, Hospitals or "Benefits" e.g. pensions or both?
I've been overseas (Europe) for 5 years, but work for UK Company, paying NI, have a valid NI number, am covered in Europe by the E106 (and nowadays various reciprocal European agreements). If you are right I'd better not fall ill or have an accident whilst in the UK......

i. Plane
Hi again..confusing, isn't it?