PDA

View Full Version : QF in BKK, Grammar Lessons and OZ attitude to Sport & Beer (Merged)

Skipness One Echo
8th Oct 2007, 15:26
QANTAS safety is very impressive, particularly the B747-400 that trundled off the runway at Bangkok a few years ago.......

Centre cities
8th Oct 2007, 16:25
Isnt't this tread in the wrong place.

Centre cities

PaulBoeing
8th Oct 2007, 23:06
Oh crap i thought i put it in the Airlines, Airports & Routes (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85) section.

Yeah that Bangkok incident was caused by pilot error. The first officer had his wife in the cockpit and wanted to prove he could land it tough conditions. Im pretty sure he got sacked as well.

Did you hear about the door opening when they were on approach at about 7,000ft.

Anyway i think Air New Zealand's service is good and that has shown, this year being their biggest profit ever.

RedTBar
8th Oct 2007, 23:10
Skipness One Echo....So BOAC or BA never had a mishap?..

Nahhhhhhhh

Mr_Hippo
8th Oct 2007, 23:11
Which Bangkok incident?

Rollingthunder
8th Oct 2007, 23:16
Lordy, lordy, not this thread again and from someone who thinks "there" is just fine to replace "their" and "they're" in any circumstances. What grade?

RedTBar
8th Oct 2007, 23:17
A BA crew were eating down at the Thai room at Patpong and then went to a show and then a massage.

Apparently a few of the BA crew got food poisoning but they don't know if it was from dinner or the show.:E

Mr_Hippo
8th Oct 2007, 23:39
Lordy, lordy, not this thread again and from someone who thinks "there" is just fine to replace "their" and "they're" in any circumstances. What grade?rollingthunder

I think that we are fighting a losing battle! People are bound to say-
'It's only the internet so it doesn't matter' but it does!
'I was in a hurry!'
'You know what I mean.' - We do but that is no excuse.
'It's a typo.' - Yes, there are typos that slip through but we are talking simple English.

Rainboe
9th Oct 2007, 00:44
PaulBoeing- please don't be insulted, but it is hard reading your post and understanding what you are trying to say without having to read it a second time because of your free interchange of spelling of 'their' and 'they're'. It's not just a typo, it's carelessness and it is harder to understand.

Qantas, fine airline that it is, has the fortune of flying in the best weather known in the world, apart from maybe South African Airways. A major cause of accidents is bad weather. There is nothing miraculously clever about Qantas safety figures, and nothing to brag about. For a fairly small airline, it is up there in the first rank, but Virgin have never had an accident either. For instance, far larger airlines like United, BA, AA, Lufthansa, Northwest etc have operations that absolutely dwarf Qantas, and very, very rare accidents, so who can say that their operations, in vastly more difficult weather conditions than Qantas normally experiences, are any 'worse' or unsafer?

And why did you get sacked because of the Bangkok incident?

As for favourite airlines, I think I like the one that pays me and lets me play with their toys every so often.

roamingwolf
9th Oct 2007, 00:50
rainboe mate i must be wrong but i thought qantas flew to europe and north america and have done so for years.and if you think thats not flying in lousy weather try landing in a place like cairns just before a cyclone arrives.****e weather is not only in europe.

btw this is not an english lit tutorial.

PaulBoeing
9th Oct 2007, 01:19
PaulBoeing- please don't be insulted, but it is hard reading your post and understanding what you are trying to say without having to read it a second time because of your free interchange of spelling of 'their' and 'they're'. It's not just a typo, it's carelessness and it is harder to understand.ok.. so i just start to start a post and it turns into a English literature class. I think you can figure out what i'm trying to say. But i do think saying that "i got sacked" was a stupid mistake.

rainboe mate i must be wrong but i thought qantas flew to europe and north america and have done so for years.and if you think thats not flying in lousy weather try landing in a place like cairns just before a cyclone arrives.****e weather is not only in europe.To right Qantas pilots do have to land in tough conditions and have done so for many years, and for being a small airline? Although they may not be a huge airline they are not small having 34 747's, i wouldn't call that small.

"Qantas and its subsidiaries operate a total of 213 aircraft." 115 Being Jet's for Qantas (not including JetStar).

Also mate about spelling, its not Rainboe its Rainbow.

Rollingthunder
9th Oct 2007, 03:08
"Also mate about spelling, its not Rainboe its Rainbow."

Sorry mate. Rainboe is Boeing's proprietary name for their rain repellant used on aircraft windshields.

Buster Hyman
9th Oct 2007, 03:14
(Sorry, can't help myself...)

QANTAS has been flying jets for almost 50 years! They've never had a hull loss. When Virgin get to the same record, give me a call & I'll join the party.

Ask anyone on Dunnunda & they'll tell you I'm no fan of the flying rat but, credit where credit is due. Maintenance in Oz was second to none up until recently but, as beancounters the world over have discovered, it costs a lot more than some management types are willing to pay.

it is hard reading your post and understanding what you are trying to say

BTW...what does "unsafer" mean???:confused:

B A Lert
9th Oct 2007, 03:57
Ask anyone on Dunnunda & they'll tell you I'm no fan of the flying rat but, credit where credit is due.

Onya Buster!! :D:D:D

Give the bloke a gong for his fairness and objectivity. :ok::ok: :ok:

PaulBoeing
9th Oct 2007, 04:45
rain repellant? that makes it even more funny.

Buster Hyman -
QANTAS has been flying jets for almost 50 years! They've never had a hull loss. When Virgin get to the same record, give me a call & I'll join the party.

Thats what im talking about!

Rainboe. Even if you think they might have easier conditions to fly in (which they don't) they haven't had one bloody loss! Virgin formed in 1984 and only have 38 aircraft. Most airlines that size haven't lost one either. But Qantas having 115 jets over 50 years and not one crash. I think thats a great achievement and good on them!

ArthurR
9th Oct 2007, 06:25
PaulBoeing you quote: "To right Qantas pilots do have to land in tough conditions and have done so for many years", is this the spiders, snakes or drop bears?

My fav, any that get me to my destination, on time and in one piece :E

Rainboe
9th Oct 2007, 07:38
Well the spelling is actually 'Rainboe' that I want chaps, but you don't understand why. It is not actually anything to do with 'Rainbow'.
I take it you're students, but if you write to employers like you write here, I'm afraid your response will be 'so long Sucker!'. Somewhere along the line, the education system of the English speaking Western world seems to have let go rather sadly, and your contributions here demonstrate that sometimes, even the ignorant will not take any education. Do you really think I was giving an English Literature lesson? I don't know where to begin.

Well the Bangkok was a pretty close try. My understanding at the time was that the hull was repaired to flying condition at great expense, and flown back to Sydney after the accident. I was led to believe at the time, this was in order for it not to be declared 'a hull loss'. The word was it never flew again. So did this repaired wreck carry passengers again or not? If it never flew passengers again, then academically I suppose it doesn't count as a hull loss in that it actually got airborne again physically, but it's a bit of a crook, isn't it? And if it ever did carry passengers again, not me please! I saw it at Bangkok and I would not like to fly in that plane, thankyou! So I think that is one thing to crow about that is really not worth mentioning anymore.

Bad luck about the rugby chaps- it's only a game. And the cricket. Losing is good for the soul now and then.

PaulBoeing
9th Oct 2007, 07:45
well Rainboe what is it... rain repellent or something?

Bad luck about the rugby chaps- it's only a game. And the cricket. Losing is good for the soul now and then.Theres no chance you will even make the finals in the RWC, lets say you do win the RWC and everyone can quote me on this i will leave these forums forever if England win the 2007 RWC.

And for the cricket who won the world cup again?

Rainboe
9th Oct 2007, 07:53
The best team will win, and good luck to them! Watching will be enough pleasure. If England win, it will be 'well done chaps!'. The difference in attitudes with us up here is: if England lose, it will still be 'well done chaps!' It's not some severe blow to our manhood, or national pride, or desperation to rub the other side's face in the dirt like attitudes 'Dannunda' are- I've seen the TV advertising and comment before sports games down there and there's something I really don't like about it.

Instead of firing off postings about airlines while you're a student, why don't you take ten minutes to appreciate the subtle differences between: there, their, they're and your, you're? That alone could mean the difference with getting a job. You'll thank me in the end!

PaulBoeing
9th Oct 2007, 07:54
why don't you get a life and leave me alone. Your so pathetic telling where im going to go in life dont you have better things to do with your time?

Judging by how much time you spend on here you've probably don't have a social life or a job. You need to get out and go spray some rain repellent on planes.

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Oct 2007, 08:13
Rainboe (A monicker can be spelled any way you like. We're talking about standard use of English here....:rolleyes:)

You've never experienced African thunderstorms and 600 mile long squall lines then?:E;)

Rainboe
9th Oct 2007, 08:14
Oh, I just don't know where to start......so I won't. My social life is fine, my professional life is a full time B737 Captain in the UK. May not be much, but it's 'ome! What do you do, young man?
You've never experienced African thunderstorms and 600 mile long squall lines then? You jest? I spent my career thumping across the African/Indian Ocean ITCZ, usually at night, seat belts on, passengers screaming (not as loudly as me). I have done monsoons in India, cyclones in Mauritius and Hong Kong, skirted around that cyclone that took out Darwin, hurricanes in Florida, Cat 3 fogs in the UK, snowstorms in Detroit and Chicago and Alaska, severe squall in Perth. Believe me, African Cbs and 600 mile squall lines- bring 'em on! What's special about them?

PaulBoeing
9th Oct 2007, 08:15
Oh Well Done :D

I'm a student who minds his own business

Rainboe
9th Oct 2007, 08:22
No you're not. You are yet another Aussie who opened this thread to try and crow about Australia, Qantas, probably Freddos, Castlemaine 4x, and Fosters Beer too, etc. and all I can say is thank goodness you didn't win the rugby as well or you'd be crowing about that too!

It's only a game. It's not a blow to national pride. Just a game.

SXB
9th Oct 2007, 08:46
It's simply not possible to compare the safety records of airlines like BA and LH to one such as Qantas. BA and LH are global airlines operating hundreds of flights a day to all corners of the globe, Qantas are not.

Australians can be extremely annoying when it comes to sporting events and national pride. I've also yet to come across one who has anything positive to say about the UK, this is surprising given how many of them actually live there.

I will watch the France v England game with some of my French friends. We will eat together before the match, watch the game in a French rugby bar and then drink together afterwards. Whatever the result the victors will be congratulated and then we'll watch the final together the following week. It's only a game.

SXB
9th Oct 2007, 08:55
You are yet another Aussie who opened this thread to try and crow about Australia, Qantas, probably Freddos, Castlemaine 4x, and Fosters Beer too, etc

On the subject of beer the likes of castlemaine and fosters are probably the worst beer I have ever tasted, on a par with such rubbish as the heinekin sold in Europe. Is this the same stuff they sell in Australia ? Australians are always saying how great their beer is but the stuff sold in Europe doesn't seem to support this.

Personally, I'm glad I leave on the German border and have access to hundreds of high quality beers, none of which taste or look like Castlemaine 4 X

PaulBoeing
9th Oct 2007, 09:57
Mate your the one that brought up sport... and now where onto beer?

Maybe i shouldn't have started this thread and im not just raving about Qantas because i'm aussie its because it has good service and safety.

Also SIA is outstanding and Emirates.

Buster Hyman
9th Oct 2007, 13:11
The word was it never flew again. So did this repaired wreck carry passengers again or not? If it never flew passengers again, then academically I suppose it doesn't count as a hull loss in that it actually got airborne again physically, but it's a bit of a crook, isn't it? And if it ever did carry passengers again, not me please! I saw it at Bangkok and I would not like to fly in that plane, thankyou! So I think that is one thing to crow about that is really not worth mentioning anymore.

http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/Images/homer_simpson_doh_02.gif

Heathrow, July 27, 2007
http://www.jetphotos.net/img/2/4/5/9/41462_1185833954.jpg

Looks in pretty good shape to me.

Do try to keep up.

(PS...still wondering what "unsafer" means...):confused:

DrKev
9th Oct 2007, 15:12
I will totally agree with Rainboe - a little grammar goes a long way. The standard of grammar among native English speakers is horrific. A little pride in your own ability to communicate effectively, please!

Australians can be extremely annoying when it comes to sporting events and national pride. I've also yet to come across one who has anything positive to say about the UK, this is surprising given how many of them actually live there.

Scots and Aussies are great and with my job (musician) I've done enough late night post-match gigs in Paris over the last month to know. The French (and I do love 'em, living here for eight years now) are actually very reasonable and pleasant when they lose but can be the most intolerable winners I have ever known. Sorry, will definitely be cheering on England on Saturday.

Returning to topic, and bearing in mid that all airlines and crew have good days and bad days...

...in my limited experience of Air France they are very bloody good indeed, BA are nothing short of spectacularly fantastic, Royal Air Maroc were a very pleasant surprise, and EI would be much more enjoyable if they'd get some decent sandwiches and just stop serving Lyons Tea! Worst brew on the planet. Even worse at FL350.

Rainboe
9th Oct 2007, 15:35
Buster,
Great photo of the INTERIOR of the 747 cabin after it landed, and GRAPHIC and VERY scary details on what happened inside to the terrified passsengers:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/0104/26/pageone/pageone2.html Sorry -link doesn't work- is this a conspiracy?
Qantas spent $100 million repairing this old 747-400 - WAY above its current full sale value. WHY?? So they could continue to claim in advertising they had never lost a jet aircraft in a crash.
The transcript above indicates it has been deemed by authorities it was misjudgment by the pilot to insist all pax and crew stay on board for 15 mins after the crash, with fuel leaking from the badly damaged plane, rather than order immediate evacuation. Pilot was one of Qantas most senior, and THAT is the worry to me. He made a chain of possibly fatal decisions, not just one.
A little Googling brought out more- I shall investigate further. I suppose you could take bits of a crashed aeroplane and stick them on replacement bits for the really bent bits and call it 'repaired- not a hull loss!'.
'Unsafer' is a lot 'unbadder' than some of the grammer monstrosities contained in this thread, mostly from PaulBoeing, whose reaction to a plea to try and write 'more better' English was to get abusive, like all ignoramuses who show no desire to learn. In his favour is the lack of text speak (but that's all).
More here:Qantas faces tarnished record after Bankok crash report
KERRY O'BRIEN: It is the proud boast of Qantas that it has never lost a passenger in the jet era of flying.
But on 23 September, Qantas Airlines flight QF1 crashed on landing in Bangkok and went about as close as you can go to the edge of disaster without loss of life.
Today the Bureau of Air Safety released its interim factual report on the incident and it provides uncomfortable reading for air travellers.
It now appears the accident occurred through a combination of poor weather information, crew miscalculation and questionable flying procedures.
At this stage, Qantas is not disputing any aspect of the report.
So how did this happen?
Already former Civil Aviation chief Dick Smith has warned Qantas needs to look at the balance between profit and safety.
Mark Bannerman reports.
http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/qf1/8.shtml
http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/qf1/7.shtml

I'm not trying to denigrate the airline in any way, but people must stop this willy waving 'our airline is the safest in the world!' thing. As professionals, we're all trying to do our best and the right thing, and its rather insulting to have people waving statistics like this under your nose when it's not altogether borne out by experience.

Flapping_Madly
9th Oct 2007, 21:11
Please could you try to use "try to" and not "try and" which makes no sense except when you try and sentence a criminal. Thanks:):ok:

Buster Hyman
9th Oct 2007, 22:17
One mans willy waving is another mans w@nking! :rolleyes:

A little Googling brought out more- I shall investigate further
and its rather insulting to have people waving statistics like this under your nose when it's not altogether borne out by experience.
...yet, you are clinging on to one "incident" to negate the argument. Ironic. Would it satisfy you to compare fatalities perhaps???:=

Indeed, its an unwritten law that airlines never compared safety records...("There but for the grace of God...")...and I can't recall any airline breaching that rule. All PB said was that they have an "outstanding safety record", and over 87 years (50 with jets) I'd have to agree with him. That was his, & a few others' opinion.

Rainboe
9th Oct 2007, 23:00
Flapping Madly (and Grammar Badly),
Please could you try to use "try to" and not "try and" which makes no sense except when you try and sentence a criminal. Thanks
Oh....my.....God! Another one for the 'Remedial Grammar for Dolts' class!
QUESTION MARK boy! And end sentences, even one word sentences, with a full stop. DETENTION!
(At least we are all trying now!)

SOTV
10th Oct 2007, 14:47
Well, I spent some four months cruising around OZ in '79 and I must say I found the Australian men to be well dressed, quiet, unassuming introverts. They were modest when telling me about their favourite sports teams and I found little in the way of nationalistic fervour. The young ladies I encountered were shy, sweet, sophisticated and guarded their chastity zealously. Most were chaperoned by maiden aunts when we asked them to take afternoon tea with us.

I thought the beer was tasteful and thoughtfully flavoured and served at just the right temperature in charming public houses which had no sign of bad behavior. Profanity and blasphemy were virtually unheard of.

Or was that Cheltenham?

:}:}

Tolsti
10th Oct 2007, 15:20
Please also note that it is ''too right'' and not ''to right'' which has a totally different meaning.

I thought the word ''cobber'' came after ''too right"?... if you're going to speak the lingo at least have the decency to do it correctly :ugh:

RevMan2
11th Oct 2007, 09:03
Mate your the one that brought up sport... and now where onto beer?
Maybe i shouldn't have started this thread and im not just raving about Qantas because i'm aussie its because it has good service and safety.
Also SIA is outstanding and Emirates.

Seriously, PaulBoeing - unless you take steps in remedial spelling and grammar, you WILL have problems finding quality employment.

Good businesses (which - perhaps not coincidentally - are frequently also good employers) are very sensitive to communication skills, because they know that their customer base will read something similar to what you've written in this forum and think "Crikey, this sounds like a dodgy outfit", even disregarding the fact that misspellings and randomly sprinkled punctuation can be the cause of severe misunderstandings.

Do yourself a favour: realise that you've got a shortcoming in this area and get it fixed.

You'll thank your uncles Rainboe and RevMan2 in the long run...

Like This - Do That
13th Oct 2007, 05:44
I've also yet to come across one who has anything positive to say about the UK, this is surprising given how many of them actually live there.

Well then consider me your first. I have plenty positive to say about the UK.

On the subject of beer the likes of castlemaine and fosters are probably the worst beer I have ever tasted, on a par with such rubbish as the heinekin sold in Europe. Is this the same stuff they sell in Australia ? Australians are always saying how great their beer is but the stuff sold in Europe doesn't seem to support this.

Too right. The tasteless lager that masquerades as beer is an insult. It might be 90% of the market, but it isn't the whole story. Thank heavens for the growing spread and influence of small craft breweries.

Frankly my favourite beer is Timothy Taylor Landlord. OH BUGGER I'VE SAID SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT THE UK :}

SOTV :ok: love yer work!