PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice: How many hours to do MECIR?

PlankBlender
10th Oct 2007, 07:03
Hi, I am trying to budget for my MECIR.

Who can give me some advice as to how many hours I would realistically need to do in ME/SE/sim to get there? :confused:

..just trying to get some ball-park figures to work with, cheers. :8

I have a PPL(A) with about 160hrs total time (around 120 of those in SE planks, rest rotary), just north of 50 PIC.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe :ok:

Lasiorhinus
10th Oct 2007, 08:32
You need a minimum of 40 hours instrument for a CIR.
20 of those are permitted to be in an approved simulator.

Cap'n Arrr
10th Oct 2007, 08:33
You are aware, I assume, that you require 50 hours navigation PIC to do the CIR? Other than that you can expect a budget or between $10,000 and $15,000 depending on where you do it and in what.

go_soaring
10th Oct 2007, 08:51
To help you get through the CMEIR or any flight test for that matter on the minimums, the trick is to pass your theory first. Then set your exam date before your first lesson, that way it puts the flying school under pressure to perform. Fly Monday to Friday, with the weekend off for however you want to spend it (for some, study will be best, for others, going surfing or whatever to relax will help).

You'll find that you'll ace your flight test, as you'll be practicing the theory and the skills required daily. I got through my CMEIR this way in 40.1hrs in 2003 (2.5wks) for around the AU$10-12k mark in a PA34.

Regards,
W3

PlankBlender
10th Oct 2007, 09:11
Thanks everyone, I have had a look at CAO 40.2.1 and started reading Bob Tait's book.. seems there's a bit of work ahead of me :8