PDA

View Full Version : MSc in Air Transport Management

Crabo
5th Apr 2001, 19:06
Has anybody completed or is anybody carrying out the MSc in Air Transport Management at the City University London?

If so, what do you think of the course and what jobs did it lead to or are you hoping to go on to?

benjamin
5th Apr 2001, 23:26
I am just completing my dissertation having been sponsored by my employer....overall the course is very good with lots of interesting stuff and lots of room for some lively debate! However, you will need to be committed as there is a lot of work involved particularly towards the end (where I find myself!) I will have completed in 2 years but you can take up to 5 if necessary.

There is also a good mix of professions with pilots/ops/atc/engineering all well represented. On the job front prospects look good without committing myself to far!

If you want any more info then let me know on here and I will let you have my email to discuss further.

SPIKE.

Having just looked at your profile should add that a few of your comrades are taking part (F3 drivers/ATCO's) although most doing it with an eye to civillian employment...I followed similar path after life of crime in FAA.

[This message has been edited by benjamin (edited 05 April 2001).]

waco
6th Apr 2001, 07:23
Is it possible to do the course part-time and how do I go about getting the details.

Thanks in advance for any available help.

Regards

benjamin
6th Apr 2001, 10:13
the course is all part time. modules last for 3 days and each one is usually held atleast twice a year so that you can plan it around most shift patterns.

see www.city.ac.uk/engineering/atm (http://www.city.ac.uk/engineering/atm) for more details.

Crabo
6th Apr 2001, 15:22
Benjamin,

Thanks for the info, I am definately going ahead with my application and hope to start this year.

At present I have no definate idea on the exact type of job that I would like when I leave the RAF, other than remaining aviation related - I hoped that the course might throw up some options whilst providing all round value for future employment. However, I am particularly interested in finding out more about flight ops or airport ops/management. Do you have any advice on how I can find out more about jobs in these areas?

Finally, did you have to attend an interview prior to being accepted for the course?

Thanks again and good luck with the final project.

[This message has been edited by Crabo (edited 06 April 2001).]

Crabo
6th Apr 2001, 21:00
Have just found out that Southampton University also offer a similar course but have no details yet.

Low_and_Slow
7th Apr 2001, 01:40
Anyone offering a Distance Version of this course?

waco
7th Apr 2001, 07:41
Ta benjamin

benjamin
7th Apr 2001, 14:00
My understanding of the Southampton course is that while it is similar in content it is far less flexible than the city equivalent...when I originally started looking the Southampton course was a mandatory weekend a month for a year, although this may have changed in the meantime.

Crabo to answer your questions - I did not have to do an interview. They will request a copy of your c.v. on application and then consider your experience. ATPL or ATC licence is normally not a problem - although I think they reserve the right to interview and refuse, as they have to maintain a required academic standard!

Airport management is tricky...very closed shop about the only way of getting into BAA is via security and big pay cuts unless you are entering at a very senior level. Airline side of life is again quite difficult to get into especially if you want to earn decent money.

Most jobs/best money centred on LHR/LGW but LTN and MAN worth looking at. A lot of jobs never reach the press but you need to keep a careful eye on Flight etc also www.aviationjobsearch.com (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com) is good.

To Low and Slow the only distance learning options that I know of are from US and Australian Universities. Embry-Riddle in the States and NSW University in Aus...don't know anything about costs/reputation.

Interestingly City are now running modules for their course at the Aviation College in Dubai as they now have significant numbers of students working out in that part of the world, several other students all commute in from Hong Kong, Singapore and beyond.

SPIKE

Low_and_Slow
7th Apr 2001, 23:17
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">To Low and Slow the only distance learning options that I know of are from US and Australian Universities. Embry-Riddle in the States and NSW University in Aus...don't know anything about costs/reputation. </font>

Thanks. I guess ER isn't too bad (especially since I'm a Yank living in LA) but I'd rather it with a british University (I've got enough US paper on my wall already). Maybe I'll just join a DE MBA (London or Warwick).

Oh well.

-me