PDA

View Full Version : American Carriers in the UK

Mad-Dog11
19th Dec 2000, 02:37
Hello people,
Does anybody know of any American Carriers that employ dispatchers in the UK?? I know that most, if not all, have centralised OCC's at their home bases. Im currently working in the corporate sector for a 125-carrier but would like to move to one of the big boys. If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated!

------------------
There she goes........

scrummer
20th Dec 2000, 02:17
Hello Mad Dog,

All i know is that American are recruiting despatchers and that you don't need an FAA. Until I get further info cant't tell you alot.

Scrummer

Out Of Trim
22nd Dec 2000, 06:50
Hello Mad Dog, Only know about the situation at Gatwick - American & Continental employ the services of Servisair Despatchers and Delta, Northwest, US Airways use GHI (Gatwick Handling)Despatchers. ;-)

mutt
22nd Dec 2000, 19:16
Have a look at some of the Middle Eastern carriers in LHR, they employ local dispatchers/assistants and in some cases require a FAA dispatchers ticket.

Mutt

SKYYACHT
22nd Dec 2000, 21:39
If its any help, I used to work for AA out of LHR and all despatch functions were conducted by FAA certified despatchers operating out of SOC in Dallas. The LHR Flight Ops Department perform flight ops administrative support functions and are heavily involved in stand planning, and putting together flight plan packages (Come in off the computer at about 0400 YUK!). I think that you will find they get involved in performing weight and balance functions for some third party contracts, but otherwise, unless you is a Yankee or have the Green Card your chances are slim! Good luck.

Tailwinds,. Merry Christmas

papafox69
25th Dec 2000, 23:18
Chaps - (Scrummer/Mad Dog/Mutt & Co.)

AA Ops at EGLL works (usually) like this:
"Main AA" Flt Ops look after all N registered AA aircraft for stand allocation (working in tandem with UA during the previous night to arrange a semblnace of a smooth op. re towing on/off for the days' movements) as well as all the needful work -(slots with CMFU/contact with BRU for AA European flight depts. / crew hotels / crew transportation to hotac ("That place is next to an excellent/terrible bar!") / Co-ord of the turn around with the Ramp Department / Load Inputs who physically input into SABRE (AA's system equiv. to B.A.'s BABS etc.)for the "load house" in DFW who monitor / agree the W & B for each flight - as well as crew briefing of all the AA flight deck dept. LHR (some 15/16 flights a day) / as well as co-ordinating cleaning / catering / push back etc. of the a/c.

As well as AA, Main Ops also look after NH (All Nippon) and all other contract a/c not covered by Dispatch "next door"(Aircraft Dispatch, AA Flight Ops LHR ) such as AA Maintence contracts ( Equiv. of Engineering Dept. UK speak)e.g. Varig who fly MD11 equipment into EGLL (as AA do).

Now we get into the interesting stuff.

Some 6/7 years ago, B.A. had a complete monopoly on a/c handling at LHR. It was called Contract Handling.

It did everything from Red Capping to W&B to Ramp to Crew Briefing/flight plans for those airlines who were their customers.

The powers that be,wanted, and did, get rid of it.

That left a void that was welcomed by Aer Lingus, Air Canada, United, British Midland (which was at Terminal 3 due to its contract with Virgin Atlantic)as well as other "3rd party airlines" including AA.

They all tendered for the contracts,and all came away with a fair share.

As far as AA is concerned, it has been going for some 6/7 years in the form of Aircraft Dispatch.

It performs the same function as B.A. did, that is to say flight planning,working out MZFW of a/c, meeting / departing of a/c, full manual and automated W&B using some 5 systems, crew briefing, METAR/TAF's, MEL's, CMFU functions, slots,co-ordinating the whole turn around of the aircraft vis-a-vis everything...including Dangerous Goods and the like.

They also deal with arrival/dept. movements etc.

It is completely seperate from the Dallas Load House, which is a central location for all AA flights, in regard to W&B and flight planning.

AA Aircraft Dispatchers do the same function as 4 AA "main line" personnel - Flight plans (DFW/ LHR for crew briefing of AA Crew);W&B (DFW Load House);RED CAP (Departure Co-ordinator AA);and DOT form signing for baggage (Security Lead Agent at AA) - they are extremely busy professionals as can be imagined.They also hold some licences for their functions - including W&B / Loadsheets and Jetbridge driving.

AA currently handle Gulf Air (A330,A340,B767)GF LICENCE REQUIRED - Type Rating endorced ;Turkish Airlines (B737-500/400/800,A310,A340)B.A. course required, Cyprus Turkish (B737-800, A310) same as previous;Korean Air (B747-400,MD11,B777,A330) in house course required but usually deferred a few months...;Cathay Pacific (B747-400,A340) CX Licence Required, Type Rated endorced ; all licences expire after 2 years.

In addition, AA also carry out crew briefing only (as opposed to the full monty handling wise) to EVA AIR (B747-400,MD11 freighter)and they used to handle Air Namibia
B747SP,B747-400 Combi) and Turkmenistan (B737-400(to Ashkabad via Kiev) and B757).

British Midland has now developed into "Plane Handling" which still handles VS.

Lufthansa developed into LH UK LTD and is now Globe Ground Handling - a good training course is to be had at the beginning,although the shift pattern is a little rough...

Contract handling being what it is, every couple of years you get a sort of a "musical chairs" where a couple of months before the contract is up, the customer airline says unless the agent (i.e. AA, UA, etc.) does not improve x,y,and z it will sign on with another carrier.

Management being how they are, tend to agree just to get the contract signed, then consult Dispatch, not to see if what they have agreed is possible, but to pass them the "fait accompli"!!

The licences required by GF and CX are gained by a course by the customer airline and usually comprises a 4 day intensive manual and computerised course followed by an exam which must be passed.
GF use a DCS (B.A. derived) system called Falcon, and CX use a system called Cupac.Manual loadsheets for W&B are used whenever the automated system fails (about 4 times a year) a manual Loadsheet is needed.

AA has just increased its pay to around GBP22000 pa without profit share, 13th month etc. for its Aircraft Dispatchers - still wide off the mark compared to B.A. but comparable to other UK based companies.

The shift pattern is 4 on 2 off 8.5 hours per shift.

Premiums are paid for early starts and late finishes and weekends.

If an a/c goes teq. the dispatcher is expected to stay until a departure is attained or a handover is completed.

It will be interesting to see what happens if and when JAA require Dispatch Licences for Europe.

AAs Human Resources office is located in Hounslow,Middlesex but they tend to recruit within AA for Flt Ops and AA Dispatch.

Hope it has been of help - give me a shout if any further info on Dispatch in LHR is needed.

Happy Landings,
Short Finals.

------------------

Out Of Trim
30th Dec 2000, 05:49
Papafox69 Don't think your statement about British Midland Handling becoming Plane Handling is correct. Plane Handling is part Virgin Atlantic and Part GHI - Gatwick Handling Group. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Mad-Dog11
30th Dec 2000, 13:47
Cheers everyone for the info! Much appreciated! I will definatly look into the Middle East carriers as well. I have my FAA ticket so that should be okay. Does anyone have experience of working for Saudi or Emirates based in London?? I'm looking to do a couple more years over here then maybe work in the MiddleEast - i know DHL Bahrain are looking for dispatchers.

Anyway people, have a great New Year

------------------
There she goes........

papafox69
30th Dec 2000, 14:17
Out of Trim -

Quite right, Plane Handling at T3 LHR is made up of ex-BM chaps as well Gatwick Handling (as is their equipment).

Virgin have a "traffic" section at T3, but I believe their loadsheets are still done at LGW.

AFSL have also had a presence at T3 for about 14 months or so, - at T2 they have their own dispatch section - even handling those classic Russian heavies!

Latest on main AA Flt Ops at T3 LHR, SOC in DFW will now look after the slots for the whole of Europe (inc. LHR,LGW)- meaning the AA CFMU section at LHR will close down - and the AA Flight Deck crew will do their own pre flight briefing, as they do in all other stations.( North Atlantic plotting charts, Cabin Maps, WX / Notams, fuel uplift checks, etc.)

The AA Main Ops role will develop (change) into more of a general ops - such as BRS (baggage recon. system)and the like.

After TWA left, the ops chaps at AA have been doing a stirling job,and, as you can imagine, they feel this is not the right way forward.

Efficiency and positive downsizing to increase profits and decrease expenditure is what Dallas have in mind - with the Brass at LHR agreeing.

What they are missing, of course, is the vital minutes saved by having the slots updated in LHR by ops, who know exactly what is happening in very real time, with a very sharp picture of a moving situation, as ops always is, rather than SOC in Dallas, who will have everything a vital few minutes too late.

Oh, well. If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined ops I guess...

The AA Aircraft Dispatch section remains unchanged - but certainly more people from the main op will want to slide across with these changes.

Hope all ops / dispatch sections across the globe have a smooth New Year operation.

Happy Landings,
Short Finals.

31st Dec 2000, 01:38
Out Of Trim

Your right about British Midland, they did not become Plane Handling, although I believe a lot of guys left BD to go to PH because BD used to handle VS, got that!
British Midland Handling became British Midland Airways (again) although not for long now I believe!! They are selling it off, I wonder if Plane Handling will buy them?
Ironic!!

simshield
2nd Jan 2001, 20:09
Mad-Dog11 do you have contact details for DHL, and which 125 operator are you with?

mutt
3rd Jan 2001, 09:23
Mad-Dog 11

Dont know what the pay/conditions for Saudi in London are, but they are/were looking for people. Try contacting:
Manager Flight Dispatch - Doug Aspinall 0181-7454391
or the Human Resources on 0171-7989859, Jenny Cope or Anne Marie Carmody. (sorry i dont have the new London area codes.)
As they have dispatch responsibility for Europe and part of the Atlantic, you would get to work with one of the most diverse fleets around....

Good Luck.

Mutt

offload
5th Jan 2001, 17:20
Mad-Dog11
Firstly, why a US carrier? BA and VS pay OK money now and the leave is probably better on a UK carrier.
Ditto re Plane Handling - owned by VS/GHI.
VS Traffic Officers c20K - Centrallised load planning at LGW by GHI (computerised and on occasions when the system has gone tits-up the GHI lads/lassies are not always able to complete manual loadsheet so VS T/O has that ability. T/O does some briefing then mainly t/round co-ordination and dispatch. They employ externally. You would always find one or two that moan about anything and everything but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Broke my little heart to relocate.
Good luck,
Giz a job