PDA

View Full Version : ATPL theory in UK and Practical training in another JAA state

Salmon
9th Oct 2007, 09:01
Hello,
I need some informations about finishing my IR. I hold a german JAR commercial Licence with the ATPL theory passed last year in UK. Is it possible to do the practical flight training for the IR in another JAA state or not?
Are there any other german students who have done the same?
Thanks for your help

IRISHPILOT
9th Oct 2007, 22:01
slightly tricky:

License and theory course need to be done under one JAA state, so, unless the LBA accepts the UK JAR ATPL theory credits, you will need to transfer your state of license issue to the UK, thus giving you a frozen ATPL. (Or is this what you meant and already hold??) I understand that the LBA can be flexible at times...

The IR is different, and I suppose it will be ME? this is a rating and thus can be done under any JAA jurisdiction. Lots of Germans doing it here (in PRG), then add it to their German license and in Croatia, where you can do a straight German IR at a school that is well known to German pilots.

cheers IP

Salmon
10th Oct 2007, 10:42
Thanks for reply IP. Yes I already passed the UK ATPL Exams 2006 and the commercial checkflight. Then I changed the state of issue of the licence to germany and now they say here in germany that I have to do the IR theory again in germany. So with the change from the UK licence to a german licence my ATPL credit is gone !?

IRISHPILOT
11th Oct 2007, 23:10
I have been out of training for a while, but a couple of years ago that was the case, I'm afraid. I believe you lost the ATPL theory. You may try to convince the LBA to accept your UK JAA credit for a German JAA credit, but they don't have to accept it.

Before you now do all the theory again, check with the UK CAA if they would give you the theory credit if you changed your state of issue back...
Doing the IR theory is quite pointless: it will still not give you frozen ATPL, just a CPL IR, which will make finding a job harder and you'd need to unfreeze your ATPL one day anyway. The ATPL theory includes the IR theory. Can't believe the LBA did not advise you of loosing the credits at the time!!

good luck! IP