PDA

View Full Version : Applying for cadet pilot?

Zipster1
9th Oct 2007, 02:26
Hi, I am posting to ask questions about applying to be a cadet. I have no 20/20 vision, can I still apply or should i go for Lasik first? I'm 24 this year and going 25 in Jan. Whats Flt ops cadet pilot? I'm applying for SIA btw.

Gregbih
9th Oct 2007, 03:05
As far as I know.you cant have LASIK surgery or you'll neva get an airline gig especially as a cadet!as for most airlines the 20/20 vision requirements are with correction(glasses) but I think SIA has a strict requirement that you have 20/20 uncorrected vision(so no glasses or lasik).Thats why, SIA SUCKSSSS

MAS Guy
9th Oct 2007, 03:24
MAS Cadet also 20/20 w/o glasses

Zipster1
9th Oct 2007, 04:51
so I am screwed? can anyone confirm this? cus i was selected for the air force fighter pilot test and they allowed lasik

MAS Guy
9th Oct 2007, 05:47
Then fly the air force first. No war what, so it is almost as civil flying. Get your hours then join SQ!

Zipster1
9th Oct 2007, 06:17
No i got dropped so i wanna take my chances again

pendekar
9th Oct 2007, 06:43
i have spoke to at least 2 SQ pilots who know of crew with lasik done. I think there is a stabilisation period required between the time the op was done to the medical. I'm not sure if one year is sufficient but more research is needed.

A question to ask yourself is, would you be devastated is you were subsequently rejected after lasik. If you are able to accept that possibility then I think it is worth a go. After all (discounting the risks involved) you'd have improved vision, minus the pesky contacts/specs

Gregbih
9th Oct 2007, 06:56
"i have spoke to at least 2 SQ pilots who know of crew with lasik done. I think there is a stabilisation period required between the time the op was done to the medical. I'm not sure if one year is sufficient but more research is needed."

Yes most airlines allow lasik if you've been employed with them as a Pilot for a long period of time.But not before you enter the company

Thermal Image
9th Oct 2007, 07:32
Hi, I am posting to ask questions about applying to be a cadet. I have no 20/20 vision, can I still apply or should i go for Lasik first? I'm 24 this year and going 25 in Jan. Whats Flt ops cadet pilot? I'm applying for SIA btw.

If you refer to the website, the requirements for eyesight are stated clearly.

If you can't be bothered to check, here it is:
Medically fit with visual acuity of at least 6/60 without optical aids, correctable to 6/6

6/60 is damn near blind, it means that you have to stand at 6m to see what normal people can see at 60m.

Read the rest of the thread(s) on Cadet Pilots for what the situation is regarding Lasik (you probably don't have to do Lasik, now that you know for a FACT that 20/20 vision is NOT required, contrary to the **** that is being stated by some.

BTW, MAS cadets also need only 6/60 vision uncorrected.
The proof is here:
http://hq.malaysiaairlines.com/mys/eng/about_us/careers_with_us/employment_career_paths/cadet_pilot/cadet_pilot.asp

Quote: Must be physically and metally fit with good eyesight (visual acuity of at least 6/60 without optical aid, correctable to 6/6) and not colour blind.

They need someone to proof read their job advertisements for spelling mistakes, but that's another matter.

Zipster1
9th Oct 2007, 07:43
does this mean i can apply? I have about 500 degrees each eye. Before or after Lasik should i apply? yr answers confuse me even more and whats FLT ops?

MAS Guy
9th Oct 2007, 08:04
Wow the requirement went down a lot compare when the time I was a cadet. No glasses was allowed last time. You can wear glass when u complete your CPL (That time no req for ATPL yet). Eat lots of carrot. Luckily till now I still dont need glasses. Beta carotene also is good.

Zipster1
9th Oct 2007, 09:44
so I am allowed to apply and I meet all the requirements? I'm 500 degrees for each eye.

cougar77
9th Oct 2007, 10:15
I understand that for Singaporeans, the minimum age for application to join SIA is 26 years old...unless it has changed.

Knightwhosays_NI
9th Oct 2007, 10:28
**** that is being stated by some Ha! I couldn't agree more.

Zipster1
9th Oct 2007, 10:34
by the time I have finished the cadet course I would be 26-27 right this is the way they calculate

overmars
9th Oct 2007, 11:23
Wrong, you should be 26 (or at the very least, 25 1/2) when you sign on the dotted line.

overmars
9th Oct 2007, 11:27
... although, you may get some dispensation since you got rejected by the airforce. I am not very sure about this, but you can ask SIA HR or some of the other readers on this thread.

NinerVictor
9th Oct 2007, 15:01
For applicants below 25.5 years old, even though you are 'chopped' (sorry to be using this umpleasant word) from the RSAF, it doesn't mean that you will be accepted by SIA. SIA's HR still has to check with RSAF to confirm that you have been 'released' before they will consider your application. Some guys, even though they have been chopped by RSAF, are not 'released' before they turn 25.5 years old.

Regarding visual acuity. The worst that will be accepted is 6/60. Put it simply, if you are 6/60 (without optical aid) and can be corrected to 6/6, you've met the requirement. But if your visual acuity is worse than 6/60, you are NOT considered to have satisfied the requirement even if you go for LASIK to get it corrected to 6/6. So the magic number is 6/60. Why do LASIK then? Maybe less restriction on your license to carry a spare pair of glasses? I can't think of any good reason really.

Hope this helps.

9V

cougar77
10th Oct 2007, 00:06
by the time I have finished the cadet course I would be 26-27 right this is the way they calculate

Sounds very similar like : by the time my HDB flat is completed I would have already signed the papers at ROM

Zipster1
10th Oct 2007, 02:27
I actually have 6/60 vision stated on my health book but that was 9 years ago. I wonder whats the difference when u have higher than 6/60 vision and get it lasik to 6/6 and lower than 6/60 vision and get it to 6/6. Nvm I will try the application and hope for the best, I see no reason why I am qualified for fighter planes and not good enuff for commercial planes. BTW no one knows whats Flt Ops cadet? whats the difference?

SIA300
11th Oct 2007, 14:48
Basically, there's no diff. Flt Ops stands for Flight Operations. I think they're just using this title to sort out those who are RESIDING in Singapore (as stated on the first few lines) and those who are applying from elsewhere (i.e. Penang, KL)
BTW, you can't really choose to go to SIA nowadays although you will be asked for your preference. It can be SIA, SIA Cargo or Silkair and you're basically at their mercy.
I see no reason why I am qualified for fighter planes and not good enuff for commercial planes
:=:=Whoa there flyboy, you're comparing apples with oranges. Fighter planes and fighter pilots are expendable as long as the MISSION is accomplished. Commercial jets and 300 plus fare paying passengers are not. As a commercial pilot, you don't just fly the plane and complete the mission.

dream747
12th Oct 2007, 06:07
Is the RSAF - SIA thing an internal agreement or something like that? Because I've heard all this while like what you guys have said that you have to be around 26 or older to be able to join SIA after RSAF has 'released' you. Previously SIA did state this age requirement on their website but now it's no longer there for quite sometime already.

Does the RSAF automatically release you at the age of 25 or so? How do they decide whether to release you or not? I was offered an interview with the RSAF but I declined, would they still have you "in their list"?

Just wondering how all this works. Thanks!