PDA

View Full Version : DESO 744 Pax vs. Freighter flying

canadianna
8th Oct 2007, 21:23
I was recently offered a DESO on the 744 in the pax fleet and noticed a section in the employment offer regarding signing an authorization pertaining to flying the freighters.

What's this about? Should I sign it or not? If I don't will there be any repercussions? I really want to do Pax flying, and not too interested in cargo.

Any light on the matter is greatly appreciated

marbles1
8th Oct 2007, 22:40
Without getting in to detail, it comes from the freighter crewing agreement formed a number of years ago. Pilot's at the time had the option of opting out of freighter flying. However, more recently they have changed the cos for new hires to say that you may be required to fly the freighter. Although the company can roster you to fly the freighter as an SO, I don't believe this is a common occurrence. When you upgrade it will be on the 330 or 777, again not an issue for freighter flying. The only time this will come up is if you transfer over to the 744 as an FO or Captain.

geh065
9th Oct 2007, 08:19
...for the time being yes.....until the 777s or A330s are eventually converted into freighters!

scanscanscan
9th Oct 2007, 14:40
When you get a bit of time in on the hassle of flying passengers and their problems you will relish the chance to fly freighters and complain free freight.

fire wall
10th Oct 2007, 05:16
geh065, the 330 as a freighter....give me a break. The bloody thing cannot do a circuit without it being zfw limited. Further, it is built so poorly I reckon if you cut a cargo door into the side of it then it would probably deflate!

geh065
10th Oct 2007, 10:09
fire_wall, I completely agree with you, but it is something Airbus have looked at along with the A340-300 and of course A330-200Fs are being sold already.

slapfaan
10th Oct 2007, 13:35
JEALOUSY MAKES YOU NASTY!!!!

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the A330...it's a beautiful piece of french ingenuity!!!

Viva la difference....!!!:ok:

canadianna
11th Oct 2007, 14:40
Thanks for the A330 cheerleading squad, but I just want to know if I should sign it or not. Will there be any ramifications if I don't sign it?

Numero Crunchero
11th Oct 2007, 14:55
Sign it.

It has been part of the recruiting requirement for a few years now. I doubt you will be allowed to join without signing it.

Just a quick recap of the history behind this issue. In the mid 90s CX created a back door way of getting CNs to work on much lower salary - ie Aircrew Services Limited (ASL), flying only freighters. Until ASL was created all freighter flying was mixed with pax flying in CX. In late 99 CX/AOA gave a one off opportunity to allow the ASL guys a chance to join the CX seniority list, wef 1/1/00 but remain in rank. Some ASL guys chose not to - either because they were close to CX RA of 55(vs ASL RA of 60) or because they wanted to remain in ASL and get a quick command. This was perceived as a CRM issue. As CX management perceive it is only an issue with anyone that joined prior to the 1/1/00 date, they have required new joiners to sign a form saying they will fly the freighter.

So to cut a long story short, you will not be perceived in a bad light for signing this waiver. If you want the job, sign it and join!

canadianna
12th Oct 2007, 01:17
Thanks for the insight. Sounds a little more complicated than I originally thought.

How many Freighter flights vs Pax flights does a guy do in an average month percentage-wise?

TWINGLOBES
12th Oct 2007, 14:09
Probably less than 3 or 4 a year. It all comes down to need and you get to go to Anchorage.