PDA

View Full Version : iberia ceiling collapse

Beckenham_Boy
8th Oct 2007, 19:28
On a recent IBERIA flight, about 5 minutes before landing a peice of the ceiling casing fell in, almost hitting my head, exposing lots of pipes and innards. This was quite worrying to me and several other passengers. The crew moved us so quickly, i didnt have time to move my shoes. Was this ceiling fault a danger to our saftey and passengers in the future?

11Fan
8th Oct 2007, 20:29
BB,

Very little to work with here, but as far as any significant danger, I would suspect not. You stated "ceiling casing".

I presume that this was not part of the Overhead Stowage Compartments, but more along the lines of a ceiling tile (if you will).

That being said, those are designed (in many aircraft) for easy removal to gain access to the "pipes and innards" and other associated wires and environmental ducting that is installed throughout the aircraft.

The fuselage itself is the pressurized environment in which you are traveling. As long as that integrity is maintained, there is very little to fear.

As to why the crew moved you quickly, not being there, the only suggestion that I would offer is that they were looking out for your personal safety, if for nothing else, in case that an adjoining piece were to dislodge itself.

You also said that is was 5 minutes before landing, but you didn't say anything about turbulence. If you had hit a little turbulence, downdraft, a jostle if you will, that may have been just enough to shake the ceiling tile loose.

And while it was 5 minutes prior to landing, I am surprised that the crew moved you quickly, unless it was after landing.

Quite typically, 5 minutes from landing, everyone is seated with belts fastened. I therefore presume that it was after landing.

In summary, it may just have been a section of ceiling that fell and the crew elected to move you quickly to ensure your safety.

Take care, and while you are at it, keep looking up.

11Fan

Rainboe
9th Oct 2007, 07:57
Just a bit of trim, nothing else. No problem. Did the pilot even come back to have a look? No risk whatsoever.

Hartington
9th Oct 2007, 08:15
Over 30 years ago I flew on an Indian Airlines 737-200 from Udaipur to Bombay and then, much later in the day, to Goa. Coincidentally, it was the same aircraft. How did I know? Because it had the same ceiling tile missing! (There were other clues).

Was it a problem? Absolutely not.

That said, I can imagine that having the tile dislodge itself in flight could be a bit disquieting, particularly to more nervous flyers.

nivsy
13th Oct 2007, 12:59
Was this by any chance on board an Iberia Boeing 757? Think they are still flying them.

Nivsy

Beckenham_Boy
15th Oct 2007, 07:30
No it was a very tatty A320. Inside showing lots of sighns of wear and tear before this panel came down!