PDA

View Full Version : Ops jobs after the RAF!?

philm938
8th Oct 2007, 18:52
First off, nice to meet you all!

Decided to take the plunge and leave the RAF. I've been in for almost 6 years as an FOA having worked at Lyneham, Basrah and now Leeming. I've done almost everything the trade has to offer from ATC to Mission Planning for the mighty Hercules and so on.
I'm now looking at trying my hand in the Civilian ops world. I've put my CV up on AviationJobSearch and have been looking at all the major airlines at career opportunities and will continue to do so.

Any advice on who to contact or where to look to get my 'new' career on its way etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to some great advice!

Phil :ok:

britflyer
9th Oct 2007, 04:55
Hi..If you intend to work in Ops for the airlines then go have a look at Sheffield.com and their six week course in florida. Although thier is no required qualification for a G-reg airline it will put you miles ahead of guys who have just come from handling agents. I did the course in June/July this year and it is very good. You could also stay on afterwards and do extra days on International flight planning (i.e. outside the US..aimed at yanks but good I hear) and other stuff.

If you want any more info drop me a PM..

Steve

Julian Hensey
9th Oct 2007, 09:14
The CAA have a specific position in Air Operators Certificates known as "Operations Manager" which comes with distinct responsibilities. A friend thought outside the traditional line of operations manager with fixed wing operations and became a trainee operations manager for a large hot air balloon company. Not only did they eventually get to full time ops manager, but they were, in effect managing up to 14 aircraft going out both morning and evening with the relevant pilots and crew, but they were also answerable to the CAA on inspections, audits and their own paperwork. A recent advert for a trainee ops manager for a balloon company was advertising a salary up to £28k - considering they were offering to train you it seemed reasonable.

Some ops managers work two roles, UK in the summer and then head off to Africa or Australia to be ops managers in the winter for the balloon season over there....

plans123
9th Oct 2007, 10:25
Philm,
when did you work as a Mission Planner at Lyneham??

philm938
9th Oct 2007, 13:24
I was there for about a year overlapping 2003 and 2004. Was really enjoyable, the respect I got from the aircrew was great. Plus the fact that it could be quite high pressured made it a great place to work! I was an LAC

Do, or did you, know anyone there?

Phil

plans123
9th Oct 2007, 14:02
Edited by PPrune admin.
Please - the original poster asked a reasonable question, he deserves reasonable answers. If you wish to criticise him, please do so by PM or by Email.

Genghis

philm938
9th Oct 2007, 15:49
ok fair point! just trying to get my side across! anyways, what have you done wiht yourself since leaving? you still in the RAF or jumped off?

ryan86uk
9th Oct 2007, 20:13
philm938 - Fair play to you mate, ive just PVR'd and looking whats about! Obviously still got 12months to serve. Hey ho...thats life! lol

Genghis the Engineer
9th Oct 2007, 22:28
Folks, there's been some somewhat unpleasant and personal comments on this thread, going beyond normal reasonable banter.

I've deleted or amended the main part of it - please nobody be offended by this, it's simply housekeeping to keep PPrune the friendly place it should be. Please keep posting, since this thread started with a fair question and has contained some useful advice.

But, on topic, and no personal attacks in public places. "Editors decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into".

Genghis
Admin.

NorthCountryBoy
10th Oct 2007, 14:00
Phil - check your PM's

F'Wx
13th Oct 2007, 08:24
Hi Phil,
I left the mob the best part of two years ago now. Spending time in Lossie, Odiham, Basrah etc etc, and was very much the same as you, spending just under 6 /12 years in.
You'll find majority of airlines will jump at the chance to employ you with the experience you will have in different aspects to the rest of the guys. Ive been in Ops for a cargo outfit for just over a year now, and its pretty enjoyable. To be fair, i dont feel tested in the officers seat, but im biding my time till i jump up as a controller, to do all the airlines flight planning etc etc, where the responsibility / time scale it takes up, is a massive leap from the Officers seat.
The company has put me through a basic jetplanner course, which basically enables me to work the flight planning system, unfortunately its slightly different to the tools we used in the RAF, but overall, its a hell of a lot easier, and more visual with jetplanner, its just a case of learning the programme/company routines, as you'd expect
Near on all Ops positions in the civvy world will outpay what we got in the RAF for the responsibility you have/work rate. I find the moral in the Ops rooms is actually very similar to what the RAF used to be, the banter is pretty much the same what i used to live with, youve just got oversensitive women out of uniform, instead of in uniform ;)
With the promotion as it was about that time, i presume you got CPL, so you shouldnt need to take a pay cut for a hell of a lot easier time / less responsibility, till you gain your feet in the commercial/cargo world

Any question, feel free to ask, i probably know a few of the guys you used to work with at Lyneham, its a small world afterall.

And aviationjobsearch is your friend, as you already probably know :)

All the best,
and congratulations on seeing sense at becoming a civvy :ok:

philm938
15th Oct 2007, 16:13
:Dgood advice so far guys much appreciated! spent most of today at work checking out aviation job search - again! looking into possibilities with emirates at the moment.

A mate of mine, who works for nats, suggested going in there as an asistant and working up to controller! not sure but its an option.

Does anybody else here know people that have taken that route before??

phil

sanook
6th Nov 2007, 10:56
FYI
Alteon are looking for a Flight Training Operations Manager. have a look at their website under job 1023. they are situated just south of Gatwick.

merlinxx
7th Nov 2007, 04:57
Look for the big Jeppesen signs.
South of LGW on A23 to Manor Royal, take a left then 1st left then left again, then right, 'tis on yr left.

globaljeter
8th Nov 2007, 14:27
Hi,
Global jet concept in GVA is looking for dispatchers. Contact me via PM if interested.

philm938
12th Nov 2007, 11:47
cheers sanook,

will check them out now!

stokieboy
13th Nov 2007, 09:33
Hullo All,
I am due to leave the RAF next summer as a Flight Ops Manager after 22 mostly very enjoyable years. I am Jetplanner basic, advanced and database qualified in addtion to holding the Met Observers ticket. I am distance learning with IATA in carriage of DAC and completing an OU Diploma in Economics and French. Not widthstanding that this is not an employment aid for ex mil, but, I'm wondering is there anything I could do to enhance my prospects to compete with the better qualified younger civilian employee! For example, Sheffield School FAA Dispatch course which I'm willing to fund. A well(ish) paid enjoyable broard spectrum job with a bit of travel would be ideal.
I know the internet is my friend and I should prob research more myself but hoping for guidance from some airline/ cargo type people!

Thankyou!

SB

philm938
13th Nov 2007, 10:50
stokieboy

22 years bud, dunno how you did it, 6 is enough for me! but congrats!!!!