PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft going soft?

frostbite
8th Oct 2007, 17:16
Or just waking up to the anger/disenchantment of its customers?

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39289859,00.htm

"Microsoft is to allow users of Windows XP to download Internet Explorer 7 without having to gain Windows Genuine Advantage authentication"

Mac the Knife
8th Oct 2007, 18:55
Soft? Are you kidding?

They're don't want people installing Firefox.

They'd rather have pirates install the latest incarnation of their crappy browser (and reinforce their lock-in) than a vastly better alternative. Then they can point at the Web stats and say, "Look haw many folks are using our soooopa browser!"

:yuk:

Mac

four_two
8th Oct 2007, 21:17
It wasn't all that long ago that Microsoft had 95%+ share of the browser market, now it's down to 78%.
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=0
I'm one of those that switched to Firefox and I reckon it's a better browser and more secure.
M/S are just trying to stop the rot.

Loose rivets
9th Oct 2007, 05:16
Having been almost totally un-troubled by spam, I am now receiving masses of foul crap daily. Things that you can do with horses etc.. Some of it is leaking over to my inbox.

I run ad-aware and keep it up to date, and recently scrapped all my cookies.

I'm with sbc with the radio hub. I do not think there's any reason for the sudden change...but who knows?

Any help would be appreciated.

R

Saab Dastard
9th Oct 2007, 08:45
LR,

There has been some discussion on this recently - both keef and IO540 (among others) have posted some good advice. Rather than repeat it, may I suggest that you "trawl the archives" to find it. :)

If your private email address has been "harvested" - either from a site you have visited, or by a friend's system being compromised - there is not a lot you can do, short of creating a new address.

However, my experience is that if you put up with the spam (and NEVER respond), it may abate after a while, usually coincident with that particular spammer being shut down.

But do create at least one more "junk" email address that is used for registering on websites.

SD

Background Noise
9th Oct 2007, 14:50
Actually I quite like IE7 on my laptop (standing by for flaming!) although I am now mostly using firefox on my mac.

On the junk mail and registering on websites thing, you can use temporary or disposable email addresses successfully for that. If you only use one temp email address for each site you can work out which sites cause the spam.

Loose rivets
10th Oct 2007, 05:19
Yep, my middle name should have been procrastination. 'been meaning to do that for ages, though I have to say that I hadn't thought of dedicating an address for some sites.

Will search above honorable members posts as well.

Saab Dastard
10th Oct 2007, 10:00
I think that "Loose P Rivets" has a certain ring to it! ;)

SD