PDA

View Full Version : Hours Building when doing Modular & Job!

Flying Rubble
8th Oct 2007, 12:33
I have just started the slippery slope of modular exams which I am doing while continuing with a job. So basically the ATPL's are taking up most/all of my time.

My query relates to hours building and keeping current, is it better to continue to hour build/ keep current and take longer to finish the modular exams or nail off the exams the do all the hour building at once afterwards?

What will employers perception be of either??

Nozwaldo
8th Oct 2007, 14:16
I finished my exams in January this year & I'm currently hours building. From my experience, I couldn't find much time to fly whilst doing the study but still managed just over 1 hour per month to keep some currency. The study took about 15 hours per week on top of my full time job with the RN (engineer, not pilot) taking just about 12 months to finish all exams. I felt it important to do my best with the study & take the hit on the flying. I aim to be doing the ME/MEIR/CPL courses next August, with the ultimate aim of looking for work in 2009 so have the time to reach 150. How you do it is down to your own requirements. How many hours do you have now? When do you want to be at the magical 150? When will you finish the exams? I'm not sure of the perception of potential employers to any timescales but can't see as it's really relevant so long as all the boxes are ticked, remember you have to get CPL/IR within 36months of finishing the exams though. Hope this helps, best of luck with the study.

Noz

Flying Rubble
8th Oct 2007, 15:00
In terms of exams my aim is to finish them in 12 months but they are fairly tough going. Not always in terms of content (although Gen Nav and Gyros are a nightmare), its the amount of learning needed!

I have about 70ish hours now and I aim to finish the 150 soon after the final exams so I can get on and do the CPL. Aiming to complete frozen within a year after that. So two years from nowish. Seems miles away! :O

A and C
8th Oct 2007, 17:19
Both of you above check your PM's