PDA

View Full Version : any regulation for hearing problem?

UAE_Lee
8th Oct 2007, 11:57
Hi all,

I have a problem in hearing high frequency sound waves. Just discovered that a year ago (I am 30 yrs). This probably happened when I have been exposed to bombs and fighting when I was teenager in Lebanon civil war. Doctors said no way to treat this situation.

I passed the PPL medical text but I know I wouldn’t pass the next tests if I want to go for instrument rating or commercial.

My question is: I know that it is allowed for pilots to use glasses for their eyes. Is their a regulation that enable them to use equivalent instruments to cover up hearing problems and qualify for flying?

Waiting for your help,

Shamrock274
8th Oct 2007, 15:57
This is all i could find

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=533

Auditory Standards: there shall be no hearing loss in either ear, when tested separately, of more than 20 dB (HL) at any of the frequencies 500, 1000 and 2000 Hz, or of more than 35 dB (HL) at 3000 Hz.Im sure there are more knowledgeble people out there about the specific requirements

Hope this helps

Comanche250
8th Oct 2007, 22:25
It is possible to get a deviation on the Class 1 medical from the UK CAA which will enable you to get the CPL and depending upon your circumstances you may be granted full Class 1 privileges if your hearing has not deteriorated which will enable you to obtain a full ATPL. The deviation does also depend upon how bad your hearing is in the first place. If its lower than the renewal threshold you may have problems. All this is also assuming you are applying for a medical from the UK CAA, im not sure about other authorities and their standards. Hope that helps.

C250

gobsmack3d
30th Nov 2007, 20:45
Hey, sorry about your problem. What percentage have you lost and in which frequencies? That is what will determine whether you pass the medical or not.
As far as I know the UK reg of no more than 20dB is the European standard.
You ask if there are any devices (like glasses for eyes), I assume you mean hearing aids. If your hearing loss is noise-induced, it cannot be corrected and a hearing aid will not help much. a hearing aid will only possibly help you reduce tinnitus (a ringing or wind-like noise in the ears)if you are suffering from that as well.
I hope that helps.:)

IO540
2nd Dec 2007, 08:42
There is a "demonstrated ability" option under JAA but this is available only for renewals, not for initial medicals.

The reference is here (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/606984.pdf) and the demo ability option is in Appendix 16.

Additional details here (http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/manual/14%20-%20ORL.pdf).

The CAA used to do a concession that if you failed the initial limits, but "would have passed" the renewal limits, they would say to you that if you do the IR and pass the checkride, they will then give you the medical. This was in the days when the initial limits were stricter than the renewal limits. I don't know if they still do this, now that they are the same.

Has anybody managed to get any JAA IR with one ear below the limits?

I know somebody tried the demo ability option several times, even after flying IFR on the IMC Rating for a few years, and no amount of references from instructors was good enough; the CAA absolutely refused to allow IR training.

This little thing stops many pilots (private IFR pilots tend to be older people) ever doing the JAA IR. They go the FAA route instead - you can be an FAA ATP and not have to do this stupid autiogram.