PDA

View Full Version : MS Word Question

HughMartin
8th Oct 2007, 10:12
Does anyone know if I can link one word or number in a document to the same word or number elswhere so that if I change the first word or number, the second will change automatically.
I am in the process of producing an emergency checklist in which there are several occasions where a drill refers the user to another drill. If for any reason in the future, the drill numbering is changed (a new drill inserted somewhere for instance ) I am going to have to change the references throughout the checklist manually.

I have searched the Microsoft help pages to no avail. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PS. It is Word 2002 I am using but suspect the solution (if there is one) will be similar in other versions

BOAC
8th Oct 2007, 10:28
Does http://wordtips.vitalnews.com/Pages/T0948_Linking_Word_Documents.html help?

HughMartin
8th Oct 2007, 10:50
Unfortunately not. This refers to inserting text from another document and I am wanting to insert from the same document.

I thought you had given me a lead though because I found a menu selection INSERT/REFERENCE/CROSS_REFERENCE... When I used this, it inserted the correct text but it won't update automatically which is the function I want.

Thanks anyway.

Wrathmonk
8th Oct 2007, 11:37
Don't have Word 2002 to hand but would the Find and Replace function (shortcut - "Ctrl + F", and select the Replace tab) work?

May require a lot of prethinking if inserting say a new step in that you would need to change all the following step numbers (largest first) before hand ie Find Step 21 and replace with Step 22 etc. If it is just updating a reference because a source document has been updated then the Find and Replace function works a treat.

Hope that makes sense - explaining computer babble not my strongest point!

Background Noise
8th Oct 2007, 11:41
But you can 'replace' set text with new text. Under edit, replace - type in what you want to replace and what you want tor replace it with. IF you are confident it will not pick up mistaken occurrences do it as 'replace all', else do it one at a time using 'find next' then replace if required. Try a replace all, you can always undo it.

HughMartin
8th Oct 2007, 11:52
Thanks Wrathmonk & Background Noise.
Find and replace won't do what I want as each occurence is unique.
The long way round is for me to keep a list of drills (there are over 100 drills in this checklist) which contain a reference to another drill number and if in the future the drill numbering changes, I will have to refer to this list and then manually go through the text and change them individually.
I am sure there must be a way of dynamically linking text to avoid this
I will keep looking.
Thanks again

Saab Dastard
8th Oct 2007, 16:10
Hugh, you want to look at Insert / Reference / Cross Reference.

You can link to headings, bookmarks etc. and I'm sure you'll be able to work out a way of achieving your objective.

You can also investigate Fields if the above doesn't work.

SD

HughMartin
8th Oct 2007, 20:42
Thanks SD. I tried this avenue but the reference wouldn't update if the para numbering was changed. I am sure this is the correct way to go but something isn't working as advertised.

bnt
8th Oct 2007, 21:10
When you say the reference wouldn't update - did you try going to a cross-reference in the document, and saying
"update field"? I just did a test using Word 2007's cross-reference system, using Heading references. I gave the first line below a Heading format (e.g. Heading 1), then did a cross-reference to it below.
Refrence 1

Using Refrence 1 in a sentence.When I altered (misspelled) the Heading, the cross-reference didn't update instantly, but it did when I went to it and said "update fields". There is an "update fields before printing" option, then all you do is Print Preview to have it update everything. Not sure about Word 2002 - been too long. But if you're expecting cross-references to update instantly, that could be why you think they don't work.

Saab Dastard
8th Oct 2007, 21:45
bnt, thanks for the build - you are correct, Word XP (2002) needs to be told to update fields in order for them to be corrected.

I use 2002, and that's how it works for me! One can update all fields in the document by using Select All on the Edit menu, and then pressing F9.

And yes, there is an Update Fields tick box in Print / Options.

SD

GrumpyOldFart
8th Oct 2007, 23:30
Excel can act as a pretty good 'word processor' which has more usable functions than Word.

HughMartin
9th Oct 2007, 07:22
Saab Dastard, you gave me the missing piece. I didn't realize one had to select all then F9. It is working fine now. Do you know if the later versions of Word update automatically?

Thanks to all who replied to my question.

Saab Dastard
9th Oct 2007, 08:37
Hugh, it is bnt you should thank - I just told you the shortcut!

I only know up to Word 2003, and this still requires a manual refresh, and I think bnt said that it is the same for 2007.

SD