PDA

View Full Version : how to become an ag-pilot? (crop duster)

the4ork
8th Oct 2007, 08:11
i live in california, im 22 and going to college, eventually i'd like to fly for the navy. but ive been looking into becoming an ag-pilot while im in school.

currently ive got a private in a cessna 170 taildragger, and a complex in a vtail bonanza, so i've already got 3 thins going for me... license, tail wheel, and complex :ok:

ive been searching around trying to find out the requirements and ive been searching for a school somewhere in california that i could attend over a summer break possibly...

i live in a HUGE ag area in the cali valley... i plan on heading over to a few crop dusting places and just asking around for info, but i thought i'd post here as well.

A Very Civil Pilot
9th Oct 2007, 08:23
Have a look ar Ag Air Update (http://www.agairupdate.com/) which is a US based site.

Also the book "How to make $10,000 a month Ag flying" here (http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-000-Month-Flying/dp/0830623302/ref=sr_1_1/102-9085019-1068910?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191918120&sr=8-1) at Amazon. (Silly title, but interesting book).

mysticfog
16th Oct 2007, 07:23
Hey cali,
PM me. I am trying to break into ag flying also......We can network together. I am going to Ag Flight school in January, also to Reno for the NAAA Convention.
I need Tail Wheel Time, can you help.

Sacramento

SNS3Guppy
16th Oct 2007, 07:44
Ag flying isn't really something you do while going to school, and it isn't an entry level job. An airline position with a commuter or regional is an entry level position; flying ag definitely is not.

You'll find that while getting work is possible, it's difficult, and most operators want to see at least a thousand hours of ag before they'll insure you. That's not a thousand hours of flight time, but a thousand hours of spray time.

Traditionally, even with an ag school, finding work is a matter of visiting every ag operator you find and trying to get a job. Often your first job isn't flying, but mixing chemical and doing a variety of other work, eventually getting to do some relief work with insecticide (not herbicide), and finally edging into the business. It can take years.

Ag schools like to tell you they'll get you a job; most jobs that you might get are in a Pawnee or AgTruck, and there aren't many of those left.

A good solid skillset in conventional gear is a must. You should have a good maintenance understanding and background; an A&P is definitely a plus. Flying ag means not just knowing your flying, with is very precise flying, but also knowing your insects, your crops, your regulations, your chemicals, the locale, and many other aspects, too.

Aerial application tolerances are very tight. With many herbicides, it's measured in inches of altitude and a foot or two of lateral guidance. Spray drift is a huge issue; a single drift claim can sink an operator, even put one out of business in some cases. The flying can be hazardous, as you've perhaps guessed. Both operators and farmers are loathe to trust the new guy, and you can be there ten or fifteen years and still be the new guy.

Ag flying isn't a hobby; it's a profession.

WannaBeBiggles
16th Oct 2007, 14:32
Well put Guppy!

There is a saying in Ag (oz anyway). Your either Good and Old or young and dead!

Most people start as loaders for the first year or two, so it's not as easy as you may think to get in to the industry.

Also if you think that it may get you in to airlines quicker you may have been mislead as the flying is single engine VFR, even though some ag aircraft are turbine it's twin time thats looked on more favorably.