PDA

View Full Version : F-111G's retired.

Capt Kremin
8th Oct 2007, 06:35
I believe that the F-111G's were officially retired last week.

It was kept very quiet though... there wouldn't be an election on would there?;)

Aussie
8th Oct 2007, 06:40
Yeh right?

Whats going to replace them now? Or do we have a black hole...

Jabawocky
8th Oct 2007, 06:50
I thought the G model was here for the longer haul....:hmm:

Where is SWING WING with some inside knowledge?

J

The Pig will be missed by all Australians:{

I wish I could afford one as a private two seater:ooh:

TROJAN764
8th Oct 2007, 07:19
They are secretly being painted up in QANTASLink colours!:ok:

WannaBeBiggles
8th Oct 2007, 08:28
Confirmed! :{ (mate works at RAAF Amberley)

Last flight a couple of weeks ago!

I think Im going to cry! :{

Keg
8th Oct 2007, 08:44
Whats going to replace them now? Or do we have a black hole...

It's just the G models. We still have the F111C flogging around.

virgindriver
8th Oct 2007, 09:32
Wasn't there an F111 that had an emergency landing a few weeks ago? (closest one I can find is at Brisbane in August but I thought was a more recent one).

Maybe they discovered they aren't worth fixing anymore and just decided to get rid of them.

I suppose, who is going to attack us in the next year or two?

BombsGone
8th Oct 2007, 09:44
"Who is going to attack us in the next few years"

Famous last words.

F111G's weren't being used as front line A/C so the retirement isn't a big issue.

ALLICEDUP
8th Oct 2007, 11:31
As Keg said, we still have the F111C's.......

Runaway Gun
8th Oct 2007, 15:36
Can someone please remind me, exactly what the agreed standard advance notification of attacking another country or it's interests?

Is it normally pre-briefed in the 10 year White Paper?

ScottyDoo
8th Oct 2007, 16:58
Well, old c***face got a fair bit of notice before Dubya turned up in Iraq, didnee? :ok:

(both times!) :p

WannaBeBiggles
8th Oct 2007, 21:05
Oh and as a side note, I believe it the last Iraquie flight took place a few weeks ago too. :(

Runaway Gun
8th Oct 2007, 23:04
Aren't the Iraqis still flying? Or do you mean something else?

Flight Detent
9th Oct 2007, 02:29
Ohh....

My understanding is that the RAAF wanted to keep flying 'em for a couple of years yet, with them being maintained so reliably under the current Boeing maintenance contract and all, but the government has been convinced by someone to get them retired now!
The word is that they have never been as reliable as they have been of recent times!

Cheers....Err, I think!

bushy
9th Oct 2007, 03:46
Strange things happen. The Nomad was specially built for the military, and they used that machine for a long time. But when the blackhawks arrived the nomad suddenly became dangerous for the army to fly.
It's still safe for civilians though.

john_tullamarine
9th Oct 2007, 03:51
But when the blackhawks arrived ..

.. think it was more a case of the mission requirements had altered and Army needed more speed to do a higher proportion of communications flying .. to get rid Nomad in the normal way would have taken too long .. so out with the knives and Kingairs weren't too far away ..

Don't think that it had much to do with the Blackhawk, though ..

Nepotisim
9th Oct 2007, 04:21
Oh and as a side note, I believe it the last Iraquie flight took place a few weeks ago too.

Aren't the Iraqis still flying? Or do you mean something else?

Do you mean Iroquois, as in the helicopter?:confused:

Pinky the pilot
9th Oct 2007, 05:56
Last flight a couple of weeks ago!

Three F111s overflew YWKI last friday afternoon (about 14.30 approx, I think) heading aound 300 degrees. I won't take a guess at the altitude but they were'nt all that high.

'C' models then obviously.

flying-spike
9th Oct 2007, 06:45
I don't think they were retired a few weeks ago. One had an engine fire overhead Amberley last week. They may have been grounded pending the outcome of the investigation into that incident but the "informed" word is they will be around until 2010

mechchick
9th Oct 2007, 10:32
Yes the Iroquois was made non-operational (as in no more flying) nearly 2 weeks ago - they did a flyover at Enoggera (funnily enough where 16BDE (Avn) is....) and buzzed over the top of us at Brisbane Airport (we all waved from the hangar with their replacements in it....)

Two words: Super Hornet.....

PyroTek
9th Oct 2007, 12:47
maybe the RAAF is looking to get rid of the F111C's as well.
They might have got rid of them due to the whole issue of people being in the fuel tanks getting very ill?

WannaBeBiggles
9th Oct 2007, 13:51
I doubt that has anything to do with it Pyro, it´s just a matter of the F111 getting retired, not just because they are getting a little long in the tooth but because Australia is shifting towards an Integrated Defence system and the Super Hornet is cheaper (easier?) to equip than the F111.

I am really sad to see the pigs getting phased out, they are a beautiful and VERY capable aircraft.

Used to love looking out the window of hangar 410 and watch them do what they do best :ok:

criticalmass
10th Oct 2007, 07:44
OK, so we are getting Super Hornets.

What's the betting we will bastardise them with an "Australianisation Program" so they are totally incompatible with any US ground-handling equipment, avionics test-rigs and other associated items of hardware infrastructure, as we seem to do with every defence acquisition. (Swapping the warshot torpedo on the Collins-class subs being a very cogent example).

Let's see, now...remove the tailhook because out Air Force don't land on carriers and we have long runways so they'll not need ground-based arrestor-systems (save money by getting rid of them too); put all-Australian avionics in...say a couple of Microair VHFs, a Microair transponder and a non-TSOd encoder. Instead of the expensive Honeywell or Litton glass displays, just fit Dynon EFIS and EMS units and re-write the software right here in Australia...got to create jobs, you know. That little project ought to keep a defence contractor going for just about the entire service life of the asset, if the beauracracy organises it properly. Need HF? Well, the good old Flying Doctor radio sets work well enough in the outback, adapt one of them. Another fine piece of Australian equipment, rugged and reliable. Got to "Australianise" those Super Hornets, haven't we?

Additionally, since the pilot is now the cheapest part of the aircraft, automate the systems to eject him as soon as he makes a mistake, allowing the aircraft to recover from the dangerous situation on its own. Remove the parachute and barostats from the ejector-seat, it costs too much money for SAR and there is always a danger you might actually find who you are looking for...and then there tend to be awkward questions asked. Far easier to have a huge search and find nothing, it keeps the paperwork all neat and tidy. Eject the pilot and lose him quick to save bureacrats and senior defence personnell any further embarrasment. You can always blame "pilot error" as long as the pilot is dead or missing presumed killed.

I have the distinct feeling the Defence Procurement Organisation (an organisation well-overdue for a complete gutting, IMHO) will so mis-manage the Super Hornet project we will end up spending billions for second-rate units with almost no capabilities other than impressing the public at air displays.

Why? Simple. All government departments are now role-playing organisations hell-bent on survival and propagation of their own bureaucracies. They long ago ceased being what they are supposed to be, task-achievers, because we are not really in a "hot war" of any kind. Government departments make decision on defence acquisitions, government employees administer those acquisitons and they are accountable to no-one except their own internal auditing sections and the occasional Senate Estimates hearing, at which competent mid-level bureaucrats can baffle even the most inquisitive investigator.

Roll on the Super Hornets and yet another acquisition disaster - the taxpayers will fund it anyway, irrespective of the costs.

Farewell to the Pigs, they served us well...in spite of the farcical acquisiton program that saw us leasing Phantoms until our Pigs were well and truly tested and airworthy. (Does anyone remember that?)

ftrplt
10th Oct 2007, 08:51
100% USN standard

ScottyDoo
10th Oct 2007, 08:58
(Does anyone remember that?)

No, we're not that old.

Nice rant, though....:ok:

PS They didn't remove the hook from the classic or the pig, why remove it from the super-Hornet....?? :rolleyes:

WannaBeBiggles
10th Oct 2007, 13:07
If they didnt even remove the arrestor hook from the F111 why do you think they would remove it from the super hornet?

Our guys and girls do go play with the American`s and their equipment, including carriers!

If your going to go off on a rant, try and make it an informed one, otherwise your just going to look like a tool... :mad:!

mechchick
10th Oct 2007, 14:20
Yes I remember watching an arrestor landing at Amberley when I was at 6SQN a few years ago - funny the arrestor system was working fine on the aircraft I have worked on.....

As for aquisition of recent aircraft - the only aircraft that remotely comes close to the dribble/rant by criticalmass would be the Seasprite and even then its a software issue and not much else.

Currently I am involved with the Tiger and MRH projects and havent seen any deviation from the OEM build....again get your facts straight before posting off on a wild tangent...oh and the organisation you are referring to would be DMO.....:rolleyes:

FoxtrotAlpha18
11th Oct 2007, 00:03
Do you know that with the C-17 purchase the only thing different between the USAF and RAAF aircraft is the paint?

Had a hop in one a couple of weeks ago and noticed they've even kept the standard US style power points on the interior bulkheads. I imagine the local adaptor plug shop at Ipswich is doing a brisk trade! :8

As for the F-111Gs, they were parked as they came up for heavy maintenance - no big conspiracy there, sorry Carlo.

There are 21 C models remaining on fleet, of which we can put about half in the carports on any one day. Yeah, they're reliable, but we haven't got the manpower to fly them as much as we'd like, and they tend to go u/s after a few days of sitting still...:ugh:

All conversion work will be done on C models at 6SQN now. The C models are pooled by 82WG and are now allocated to 1 or 6 as required, rather than being 'owned' by the units.

Gnadenburg
11th Oct 2007, 04:31
Farewell to the Pigs, they served us well...in spite of the farcical acquisiton program that saw us leasing Phantoms until our Pigs were well and truly tested and airworthy. (Does anyone remember that?)

Interestingly, if the RAAF scrapped the F111 project in 1973, the force capability equivalent presented to government was the following:

48 F4E Phantoms

12 KC135 tankers.

One Mirage squadron disbanded.

24 F111's ended up being considerable bang for buck.

kmagyoyo
11th Oct 2007, 08:29
Yeah, they're reliable, but we haven't got the manpower to fly them as much as we'd like,

Best laugh I've had in ages thanks FA, thats comedy gold. :D:D

criticalmass
11th Oct 2007, 09:32
100% USN will be excellent...if it happens.

I have lost all confidence in those charged with defence acquisition projects, especially after the Collins and the Seasprite.

I will be delighted to be proved wrong in the case of the Super Hornet...if we ever get them.

(Would those wishing to throw fruit please ensure it is actually edible! I may have to have it with humble pie or my hat, whichever comes first!)

Milt
11th Oct 2007, 12:18
We must soon ensure that there are plans to have at least three F-111Cs make their last flights to Point Cook, Temora and Albion Park.
These flights to their last resting places will save the trauma of reinserting those super cooled/shrunken 11 inch pins when reattaching the wings. And there may be some fine print in the contract with FMS/USDOD to renegotiate regarding final dispositions.

The F-111Cs were a bargain at close to US$6.5M flyaway. The original cost of US$5.95M went up by Oz selected ECPs - Engineering Change Proposals.

Gnadenburg
12th Oct 2007, 10:24
A terrace in Paddington was 40,000AUD in 1973 Milt. :)

Keg
12th Oct 2007, 11:17
I have lost all confidence in those charged with defence acquisition projects, especially after the Collins and the Seasprite.

C17 and Abrams would be a far more recent indicator of success surely?!?!

Gnadenburg
13th Oct 2007, 09:44
Yes a match made in heaven Keg.

The C17 flies an Abrams to a Pacific staging base where the Abrams drives up and down the taxiways looking menacing. Because it's too heavy- except for the airport to town road. And can't venture far from the airport fuel farm due it's aircraft like capacity to guzzle fuel.

ScottyDoo
13th Oct 2007, 10:12
It's a tank, Gnads... it'll make its own road.

aussie027
13th Oct 2007, 18:10
I would like to make a few comments regarding past defence procurement projects, especially Collins and SeaSprite.

As far as Collins goes there was certainly many problems in the initial planning and acquisition phases.
Australia was meant to purchase a submarine design that was already in service not a brand new design.
The engineering achievements in the Collins design are in fact quite remarkable. Designing and building a new submarine is the equivalent of building a stealthy and highly sophisticated platform such as the B-2 bomber.

These submarines have now matured into one of the world's most sophisticated vessels and are more than a match for many of the latest nuclear hunter killer types.
The LAMESTREAM media as usual has failed to mention any of this to the Australian public who are under the impression to this day that we got some giant lemons and the whole project is a disaster.

As far as the problems with the Sea Sprite go, it is my understanding most of it has been software integration issues that stem from the fact that Australia has made some very large demands on what the crew of two has to do.
A similar problem occurred years ago with the acquisition of the Sea Hawks due to the fact the three-man crew, or I should say the two men manning the tactical systems could in fact actually achieve 80 per cent of the capability of an Orion with a crew of 8-10 down the back of the aircraft !!

The U.S. Navy has the anti submarine and anti-surface warfare helicopters basically gather information and transmit it back to their ships where most of the processing in order to prosecute an attack etc is done and orders relayed back to the helicopter.
Australia instead decided to have it all down on board the helicopter with the resulting staggering software development and integration issues that cause massive cost overruns and time delays.

Once again it is the same old story mentioned in posts above where Australia has unique requirements, or at least we think we do, that nobody else in the world has and as a result we end up b*stardizing the platform and the systems, whether it be an aeroplane or helicopter or whatever and we then end up paying far too much for far too few platforms.
In other words we, the taxpayer do not get real value for money.
Thankfully with the C-17s the only difference was the paint job.

Another example is that for the relatively small production runs of say aircraft or helicopters that Australia has had over the past decades we would have been far better off as far as being able to afford more platforms for a given cost if we did not insist on setting up local production lines to actually build the aircraft at massive cost all to create a few hundred local jobs that end out being lost when the line closes in a few years anyway.
The politicians and defence bureaucrats never learn from the mistakes of the past. We certainly did not need to build 33 Hawk trainers here in Australia, these were also b*stardised in many unnecessary ways in order to have them emulate more closely the FA 18s in ways that were not required from a tactical training viewpoint.
What we DO NEED in this country is the ability to fully maintain all these aircraft and upgrade their avionics systems and weapons systems as and when necessary with little or no foreign assistance.
We do not build airliners in this country, for example Boeing 737s just because the local airlines need say a 100 of them and yet we insist on doing this with virtually every helicopter and aircraft type the military acquires.
I know many defence analysts who are far more in the know than I am agree completely with the above statements. Several of them have discussed them with me.

ScottyDoo
13th Oct 2007, 18:46
So are you saying we can't believe everything we read in the newspaper???? Bizarre....!!

Well there you go,nads. I was going to say something similar ref. the Collins on one of which a mate of mine is is an ewo or a pwo or something squidlike but I couldn't be arsed.

Trojan1981
13th Oct 2007, 23:03
Aussie you are 100% correct:D
As for the tanks, I think Dr Nelson summed it up when he said (Quoted in The Bulletin "...it (the aquisition) would not have happened on my watch..."

wessex19
13th Oct 2007, 23:42
in my opinion the difference with todays military and the past is the hardware available to the diggers. When I was in the navy, every ship and aircraft was almost certainly fitted for but not with!!! I remember when my helo was embarked on HMAS Stalwart for the first time, we had a meeting on the Ikara deck, I remember asking the CO, "where is the Ikara Sir" response "fitted for but not with son!!! He told me that next to the Seacat platform, "what about the Seacat sir???" This is getting boring subby!!! No Seacat either!! I remember when doing my nav ticket on HMAS Gawler (Freemantle class patrol boat) looking at the original weaponry design specs, looked nothing like the boat I was driving!!! I think times have changed for the better:D

Trojan1981
14th Oct 2007, 00:33
No, Unfortunately I don't really think much has:(. Don't think it wise to go into detail though.

Gnadenburg
15th Oct 2007, 01:55
From Toady's Austrealian- A RUDD Labor government would order a new defence white paper to prioritise Australia's future military needs and has promised to put pressure on Washington to lift a ban on the sale of the stealth F-22 air superiority fighter.

F22's & Super Hornets? :)

FoxtrotAlpha18
15th Oct 2007, 03:09
I could live with that :)....won't happen though! :hmm:

A new White Paper is needed, but I doubt it'll come to any different conclusions to the current tack.

Flyingblind
15th Oct 2007, 05:21
Seem to remember that the Army's CH-47D's are stock standard US models as well.

F22's and SH!

Could we delete SH and insert JSF please, else we end up on another procurement tangent. I thought the US thinking was 22 and 35 were designed to be mutually lethal.

Simple question perhaps, but why the rush to buy Boeing's baby?

SemperFly
15th Oct 2007, 06:09
Probably because there is a significant risk that JSF will be substantially delayed or even cancelled. That would obviously leave a big gapping hole where the F-111 is/was.

Gnadenburg
15th Oct 2007, 06:21
And overpriced, uncomitted, unproven.......

Farman Biplane
15th Oct 2007, 06:35
The USA have NO intentions to sell the F22, in its full or derated form, to ANY other nation, be they close allies, or not. The JSF is the only 5th generation "fighter" that is intended to be sold abroad.

Flyingblind
15th Oct 2007, 06:52
FB understood,

did read in todays Australian that Rudd will team with Japan to strongly ague our case for sales of the F22.

Pie in the sky or time to call in some favours from our best mate GB?

Gnadenburg
15th Oct 2007, 08:08
Labor promises another SAS rotation in Afganistan, a committment of regular infrantry etc.

The USAF wants more F22's. Japan and Australia as part of the new alliance in the North Pacific lobby for it too!

I wouldn't be so sure the aircraft will never be for sale.A big part of the nos sale policy would be forcing countries such as Australia and Japan to subsidise development and procurement costs of the F35.

Incidently, was flying near Okinawa last night and something very fast and very high caught in the sunset on descent.

WannaBeBiggles
15th Oct 2007, 20:15
Gnads you should try dealing with US Foreign Military Sales (FMS). They'll sell you bombs, tanks and high tech air-to-air missiles one day - then deny you the most simple software application the next day. (Usually I suspect because some Major is worried and treats Australia like Ivory Coast).

If you have dealt with these bodies (as your post seems to hint to) then you should know ITAR contracts are far from a straight forward PO :}

Bobster
16th Oct 2007, 04:33
Have seem some pictures of the F-22 droping the small diameter bomb. Could that mean there is some potential for it to be a F-111 replacement?

WannaBeBiggles
17th Oct 2007, 14:54
I heard of the US stripping out a bit of software that predicts when the sun and moon rise and set from one project.

Maybe they know something about the sun that we don't :}

Maybe they do ;)

As on the subject of the F22, it's not really what we need, even though on the surface it may look like the perfect candidate (not saying the IMO the F35 is a perfect replacement).

Used to work with the F111's so have a fairly biased opinion on what would come close, but over time Australia's strategies have changed and in todays world pure firepower is not always the deciding factor.

Also remember we (Australia) have invested considerable money on our AWAC (Wedgetail) and Tankers (A330 conversion) and with the replacement for our Orions (possibly 737MMA) as well as the good ol' Caribou we have to look more at the big picture, rather than just taking such an aquisition as being the focal point.

Just my two cents.

Darky
19th Aug 2009, 23:31
The F-35 Lightning is replacing all F-111 II.They are also getting more FA18'"s to take the place of the F-111'"s

The PM
20th Aug 2009, 01:21
Holy thread mine Batman!!!

:rolleyes:

aseanaero
20th Aug 2009, 02:03
The Pigs should go out doing a supersonic beat up of the Amberly runway !

Chimbu chuckles
20th Aug 2009, 03:10
What was the story with 'Savage' yesterday - Hydraulics?

185skywagon
20th Aug 2009, 04:56
We had an F-111 over us at low level, on the 10th August 2009 about 100nm NW of YBCV, while we were mustering cattle. I thought I was seeing things for a bit.
Maybe that was the last gasp????

BombsGone
21st Aug 2009, 08:42
Their not dead yet.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
21st Aug 2009, 16:06
Re:
"There Are Lies, Damn Lies, And F111 Estimates......

Senator Mc Killen, Somewhere before the F-111's were commissioned!

Now, I ask YOU What BETTER Aircraft could have possibly kept
'The Enemy' "At Bay" ...When WE needed them most ???

And 'Need them' still???

A True Believer........:D:D:oh::oh::{:{

punkalouver
21st Aug 2009, 18:10
The most important question. How many years do I have left to see an F-111 fly by while dumping fuel while in afterburner at an airshow? Day and night preferred.

VBPCGUY
21st Aug 2009, 23:36
punkalouver get to the Defence Force Airshow in Townsville on the 26th of September, I think you maybe in for a treat:ok:

ftrplt
22nd Aug 2009, 00:17
Minor point but relates to expectation - the Townsville "Airshow" is actually an "Open Day".

(= different emphasis within defence (resources etc))

Critical Reynolds No
25th Aug 2009, 02:18
The airshow is on Saturday on the foreshore called "The Strand". The sunday is the open day at RAAF Townsville and I doubt there will be any flying at all.

Other opps to see the F-111 are the Indy Gold coast whatever it is. River Fire. Whenever that is and Pearce defence force show in 2010. There will then be a "private" last horrah at Amberley around Dec 2010.

stretchka15
25th Aug 2009, 15:53
River fire is 12 sep this year can't wait. Also rumour is you can buy a F-111 for 800k. Do you think any will be sold to museums and do the airshow circuit?

Capt Kremin
25th Aug 2009, 21:40
I doubt any would be allowed to be flyable. Can't have a Mach 2 bomber flying around in civilian hands. Even without bombs, think of all that kinetic energy in the wrong hands. I would also surmise that the US would have imposed some sort of restrictions on their disposal.

Anyone who aspired to keep one flying would have to have AWFULLY deep pockets anyway.

Flyingblind
25th Aug 2009, 21:56
Shudder to think what the Maint costs let alone insurance and fuel burn for the beast would be.

Either way a great way to turn $'s into noise.

Trojan1981
26th Aug 2009, 00:35
think of all that kinetic energy in the wrong hands
I am sure the pilot will have an ASIC:}

There are civilian EE Lightnings, Buccaneers, Hunters, Harriers, Skyhawks, Mirages and Migs flown around the world by civvies. The Concorde was also flown by civvies, so where is the problem?

Oh thats right, the Yanks:rolleyes:

Taildragger67
26th Aug 2009, 05:41
Wasn't there an ex-Blue Angels F18 available on eBay a year or two back?

FoxtrotAlpha18
26th Aug 2009, 07:14
Wasn't there an ex-Blue Angels F18 available on eBay a year or two back?

It wasn't a runner. There's an ex-Blue Angels F/A-18 sitting in a shed at Williamtown as well!

Gnadenburg
26th Aug 2009, 09:31
It will be good to see the last of the Great Urban Myth. An airplane that the government and general public thought was so capable that it didn't need the funding to provide the necessary add ons and extras to go to war with. Or an aeroplane supposedly still so capable it sends shivers through our near-north adversaries. Or an aeroplane so advanced evolutionary, that despite having a monster radar signature, it could still go on upgraded forever in an age of stealth.

Our new bombers ( Super Hornets ) now seem more down to earth so to speak. Yes they need tankers. Yes they need the latest electronic warfare equipment. And yes they will be able to go to war. :)

OzATC
29th Aug 2009, 06:24
Does anyone know if the F111's are doing the dump and burn at Riverfire in Brisbane Sept 12?

Jabawocky
29th Aug 2009, 09:11
They are planned.......... subject to anything going wrong somewhere I guess!

AussieNick
29th Aug 2009, 09:43
so much for retired, saw 3 F-111's landing in Darwhine today at about 1300

The PM
29th Aug 2009, 10:22
That would be because, as the thread title suggests, it was the F-111G models that were retired.The C models however have a little while to run yet.....

:rolleyes:

Philthy
31st Aug 2009, 10:24
100% USN standard

Er...aren't we fitting ours with ILS?

FoxtrotAlpha18
1st Sep 2009, 01:10
Yep, and a different nosewheel landing light. The Classics also have an HF radio.

Taildragger67
4th Sep 2009, 09:00
The Classics also have an HF radio.

... with valves? :}

Milt in particular will be sad to see them go. :sad:

komac2
5th Sep 2009, 01:16
The airshow is on Saturday on the foreshore called "The Strand". The sunday is the open day at RAAF Townsville and I doubt there will be any flying at all

Royal Australian Air Force: Defence Force Air Display: Townsville September 2009 (http://www.airforce.gov.au/Townsville/Index.aspx)
The Defence Force Air Display Townsville is the eighth in the series of annual Air Shows around Australia at major Air Force Bases (http://www.pprune.org/Bases). These Shows are primarily a medium for recruiting, public information and promotion of the professional military skills and the ADF image. Although the displays are centred on aircraft, our goal is to involve and promote all three Services where practicable.
This event is a break from the past format. The display will be in front of ‘The Strand’ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strand,_Townsville), over water rather than on the RAAF Base. This will give us a wider frontage for spectators as we are expecting a large crowd to gather from surrounding regions. The big draw card for the display will be the United States Air Force demonstration Team (http://thunderbirds.airforce.com/), ‘The Thunderbirds’, in six F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft.
They will be accompanied by two C-17 Globemaster (http://www.pprune.org/Aircraft/Globemaster.aspx) transport aircraft and two KC-10 tanker aircraft for en-route refuelling. The Thunderbirds (http://thunderbirds.airforce.com/)will be coming from Hawaii to Townsville via Cairns and the coast and will fly out to Guam on Monday 28th September for a Show in Guam and then on to Malaysia.
The Air Display will be approximately three hours long and will begin at 1430. As with all such events involving complex military aircraft that are in high demand operationally, the actual content of the air display and start time may vary, so visit this web site regularly.
The event is co-sponsored by the Townsville city Council (http://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/), with a significant contribution from the Townsville Media Centre – 4TOFM (http://www.theradio.com.au/localworks.aspx?PageID=2051&Station=4TO_FM_Townsville), Southern Cross Ten (http://www.southerncrossbroadcasting.com.au/) and HOT103.1 FM (http://www.theradio.com.au/Hitmusic.aspx?PageID=2083&Station=HOTFM_103.1_Townsville). 4TO will actually provide the commentary of the air display, so listen to Steve Price each morning for air display updates and bring your radio to The Strand and listen to the commentary, live, with ‘Pricey’ and his team of experts on 102.3FM (http://www.mix1023.com.au/).
The Townsville City Council (http://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/recreation/events/sky_show) will be preparing the City to celebrate the 10th anniversary of ‘The Stand’. There will be food and amusements rides through the afternoon and evening. And following the air display there will be a 90 minute concert by the Air Force Band and 1st Battalion Bands and a fireworks display supported by the F-111’s spectacular ‘torch’ demonstration. This will be one of the last such demonstrations in the world, as the F-111 is the only aircraft with this capability and it is scheduled to be retired from the RAAF beginning next year.

Royal Australian Air Force: Defence Force Air Display: Townsville September 2009: Royal Australian Air Force: Royal Australian Air Force (http://www.airforce.gov.au/Townsville/FlyingDisplay.aspx)

The air display will primarily run parallel to The Strand. Some aircraft will pass over the industrial area in South Townsville and between the Casino and the pleasure boat harbour. Some delays may be experienced during the Thunderbirds display as traffic will not be allowed under the aircraft flight path.
The display will also create high noise periods. However, the brief duration of the noise is such that there is no risk of hearing damage. However, because the noise can alarm small children and the elderly, ear plugs will available from the Air Force Cadets around the Strand before and during the air display.
Although some aircraft have yet to be confirmed we are planning to feature:

F/A-18 Hornets (http://www.pprune.org/aircraft/hornet.aspx) (Air Superiority and Ground Attack Fighter)
BAe Hawks (http://www.pprune.org/aircraft/hawk.aspx) (Advanced jet training and light operations)
C-17 Globemaster (http://www.pprune.org/Aircraft/Globemaster.aspx) (Heavy Transport) – too be confirmed
C130 – Hercules (http://www.pprune.org/aircraft/hercules.aspx) (Strategic and Tactical Transport)
F-111 Ardvaark (http://www.pprune.org/aircraft/f111.aspx) (Long- range Strike)
C-7 Caribou (http://www.pprune.org/aircraft/caribou.aspx) (MediumTransport (farewell appearance)
Army CH-60 Blackhawk (http://www.army.gov.au/Blackhawk.asp) (Utility transport helicopter)
Thunderbirds – F-16 Fighting Falcon (http://thunderbirds.airforce.com/) (about 35 minutes)
The RAAF ‘Roulettes’ Display Team (http://www.pprune.org/roulettes/index.aspx) – PC9
AP3C Orion (http://www.pprune.org/aircraft/orion.aspx) maritime strike and surveillance
USAF KC-10 (Strategic Air Refuelling Tanker)
Qantas Dash 8 and/or 737 (To be confirmed)
Tigermoth (http://www.airforce.gov.au/RAAFmuseum/research/aircraft/series2/A17.htm)
UH1- Huey helicopter (To be confirmed)
SP2H Neptune (http://www.airforce.gov.au/RAAFmuseum/research/aircraft/series2/A89.htm) (Maritime patrol - historic aircraft)
C47 Dakota (http://www.airforce.gov.au/RAAFmuseum/research/aircraft/series2/A65.htm) (General Transport – historic aircraft)
Nanchang (To be confirmed)
Royal Australian Air Force: Defence Force Air Display: Townsville September 2009: Royal Australian Air Force: Royal Australian Air Force: Royal Australian Air Force (http://www.airforce.gov.au/Townsville/OpenDay.aspx)

The RAAF Base will be open from 1000-1500 on Sunday 27th of September to allow enthusiasts to inspect the aircraft involved in the flying display and talk to the pilots. Entry and parking are gratis. No flying is planned but there will be comprehensive supporting displays of military hardware and activities by both Army and Air Force and a hangar setup for some 50 commercial exhibitors.

A full catering service will be available. However, there will be limited seating and, as with all airfields, there is limited shade.

Parking will primarily be on the Base with overflow space available directly across Ingham highway. Parking will be available for cars displaying an official Government issued disabled sticker.

Milt
5th Sep 2009, 03:56
Taildragger67

Yes Milt will be sad to see them go.
During the acquisition of the F-111Cs, having made up my mind as Project Manager that they were indeed aircraft with very high potentials, I inspired my staff to keep them alive. I attended each rebirth during their recovery when electrical power was first reapplied and later saw them on their way to as far as Hickham AFB Hawaii.
Now in retirement I revell in the knowledge that those F111Cs have been such a significant asset to the RAAF and Australia. Still think of them as "my babies" and will be sad when they stop swinging their wings particularly considering their continuing extended performance which then goes to waste as they phase out.
Aren't they still irreplaceable?

Someone took a photo of me sitting in the cockpit soon after delivering the last one out of Texas to Sacramento CA. Thought it fitting to get another similar shot at the Avalon airshow this year. Took a bit of arranging but had forgotten how to enter the right seat. With my left leg inserted towards the left rudder pedal and then my butt on the seat I had my right leg hanging over the edge of the cockpit. An ungainly and embarrassing few minutes until someone was able to manoeuvre my leg inside!! Time between shots 35 years.

One now RIP at Point Cook and would like to see Temora and HARS at Albion Park offered one each for posterity.

max AB
5th Sep 2009, 06:47
The Classics also have an HF radio

Had an HF as there are no more classics I would believe.

FoxtrotAlpha18
5th Sep 2009, 23:17
Had an HF as there are no more classics I would believe.

Sorry, I meant F/A-18A/B 'Classic' Hornet, as opposed to F/A-18F 'Super' Hornet

stretchka15
11th Sep 2009, 01:48
Anyone know when the practice Dump and burn over the city will be today?

This in the Notams

LJR SE QUEENSLAND MIL F111 JET ACFT OPR FLW RTE
COOLANGATTA 296020 (DESCENT) / BRISBANE 203008 (ASCENT)
SFC TO 5000FT AGL
FROM 09 110300 TO 09 110545

So I assume some where between 1pm and 3.45pm?

stretchka15
11th Sep 2009, 01:52
Just got the answer from Triple M on the radio. 2:15 pm :ok:

Buster Hyman
11th Sep 2009, 02:37
Well, regardless of your opinion on the F111, they have acted as an effective deterrent for this country. I for one will always be grateful for their service, and to the crews that flew them, and especially those that maintained them!

:ok::D:D

hadagutful
14th Sep 2009, 06:22
Yeah Buster, you might even have been GRATEFUL that they were GREAT aircraft...........!

Never flew in one but had a good sit in the LHS with a pilot brief after flying our CT4 into Amberley back in 2003 for the squadron's 30th anniversary celebrations of the F111.

Interestingly there are a stack of them still mothballed at Davis-Montham air force base in Tucson Az. Don't think they will ever need to fly again though.