PDA

View Full Version : JAL 737-800 Tail strike

Koan
8th Oct 2007, 01:20
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200710050102.html
A JAL Boeing 737-800 made a tail strike while landing at Kansai International Airport on Thursday.Flight 173 departed from Haneda Airport at 7:01 a.m and landed at Kansai International Airport at 7:58 a.m. and the tail skid contacted the ground.This forced the airport to shut down the runway until 9:30 a.m. and schedule other flights on another runway.

Airbubba
8th Oct 2007, 01:32
Glad the 'B' runway is open at KIX these days. A minor incident like this would wreak havoc on operations in years past.

I've surprised myself landing here with wind coming from the Kobe direction across the bay and over the long terminal building. The bottom can fall out in the flare if you don't keep some power in until touchdown.

Hopefully this scrape will be repaired by spray paint and a sim check...

A and C
8th Oct 2007, 05:57
If this was a light tail skid contact and the tail skid shock cartrage was not crushed past the green line on the indicator. The aircraft had not exceded the maintenance manual limits so was never unfit to fly.

The Boeing QRH states that in event of tail skid contact the aircraft should not be pressuriszed and to land to check for damage to the rear PX bulkhead.

The chances are that on take off this will only be a light tail skid contact but the QRH is writen to play the inccident very much on the safe side, however a landing tail strike is likely to do much more dammage.

The most likely time to have a tail strike is on take off at high weights with a tail wind off.

plain-plane
8th Oct 2007, 08:20
very interesting if the tail skid contacted on landing:eek: (and not on the earlier take off):hmm:...

while possible,,, it would take some very interisting manouvers, to scrape only the tail skid on landing, considering the geometrics of the B738 in landing config...

A and C
8th Oct 2007, 08:30
I know of one airline that had a number of take off tail skid scrapes all on one aircraft, I suspect (but can't proove) that this was due to the main landing gear shock strut oil/air servicing.

If the oil level is too low the shock strut will have a spring rate that is too low and so on rotation the tail skid to runway clearance is reduced as the shock strut compresses excessivly.

domani
8th Oct 2007, 09:44
According To What I Was Told ,the Aircraft Made A Hard Landing, Bounced And Maybe Tried A Smooth Second Landing Instead Of Going Around.

Dream Land
8th Oct 2007, 15:08
Some experience can't be duplicated in the simulator. :}

Shiny side down
8th Oct 2007, 16:24
Based on what airbubba has posted, I can see the scenario of putting in a handfull of power close to the ground resulting in a slight pitch up, resulting in a tailscrape.