PDA

View Full Version : Backing up mobile sim card

ariel
7th Oct 2007, 13:23
I'd like to back up the sim card in my mobile onto both computer, and another sim card, if possible

Does anybody know how to do it?

Thanks

Sam-MAN
7th Oct 2007, 13:29
I would suggest going into your local phone network shop and asking them to back it up somehow.

Sam

ZH875
7th Oct 2007, 14:30
You can get a GSM Card Reader (ref A67GG (http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=13128&MenuName=SIM+Card+Back-up&worldid=-1&FromMenu=y&doy=7m10)) from a well known Electronics shop, that will enable you to back your card to a PC, and then reload the other SIM card.

BOAC
7th Oct 2007, 16:02
I tried a similar (and much cheaper) item from an ebay supplier (which is the subject of a whinge in Jet Blast) and found it very 'flakey'. The software did not work correctly and the pins that read the card were quite fragile, so be careful. It went back with a broken pin. I'm sure the referred supplier would be fine, though, I hasten to add..................

spannersatcx
7th Oct 2007, 18:20
I got a Nokia recently and it comes with software that backs up the contacts etc onto a pc plus other stuff. Just need a usb cable and away you go. Most new (or even older) phones come with this sort of stuff.

You can also transfer all your contacts from the sim memory to the phone swop the sim and transfer the phone memory to the new sim. Or stick the sim in another phone and blue tooth them across.

Cremeegg
7th Oct 2007, 21:24
You may need to be careful with the respective memory sizes of your phone and your SIM card. I always seem to have more stored in my phones memory than my SIM card will take so half way through backing up or copying across it runs out of space. A straight copy to PC should resolve that though.

SIM card readers that'll let you back up and copy are widely available on the High St for a tenner or so.

Bushfiva
8th Oct 2007, 14:53
I have a USB adapter with a bazillion memory card slots, one of which is a SIM slot. It came with a simple program to copy SIM cards, and cost $7 plus $3 shipping from Hong Kong. I've seen the same kit on sale under many names, so a simple Google search should pull it up. Brando might be a good search term.

ariel
9th Oct 2007, 10:57
guys (and girls)

Thanks for all your informative replies, I will give some of them a go.

The main reasons I want to copy the Sim card, is because I want to preserve certain text messages as well as numbers.

ariel