PDA

View Full Version : 4 hour delay caused by Boeing?

NotoriousREV
6th Oct 2007, 05:52
I was flying out of Mahon yesterday on Thomas Cook, due to take off at 14:15 but the inbound flight didn't leave Manchester until 15:00 (Mahon time). The captain told us this was due to Boeing issuing a technical bulletin requiring ALL 757's to be checked. Can anyone shed any light on this?

dustybin
6th Oct 2007, 06:36
Think yourself lucky that it was checked out, don't know if this was true but watch to much Airline crash investigation to even question aircraft safety. There will always be what if???? Better Safe than sorry!

NotoriousREV
6th Oct 2007, 06:47
Certainly not questioning the need for the work, just wondering what it was ;) Must have been serious if it required ALL 757's to be checked immediately (which was what the pilot told us)

Avman
7th Oct 2007, 20:59
strange that no one's come up with an answer to this. Makes you wonder if Captain Speaking was telling a little porky. But let's be honest, it's an improvement on the usual excuse of "ATC delays". :E

FHA
7th Oct 2007, 21:14
looking at your profile Avman, you should know better than to come out with a line like that one. :=

10secondsurvey
8th Oct 2007, 12:35
In my experience, it is not so uncommon for airlines to tell porkies.

Dropline
8th Oct 2007, 12:51
On this occasion he was telling the truth. Not sure of the exact technical details but I do know some kind of check was required on the 757's.

TightSlot
9th Oct 2007, 11:42
In my experience, it is not so uncommon for airlines to tell porkies.
An airline as a corporate entity may or may not tell lies, I don't know - However it would seem possible, or even likely, although possibly it is not common as suggested.

Those at the sharp end (i.e. operating flight and cabin crew) in my experience rarely lie to customers: They know that it doesn't work.

Mr @ Spotty M
9th Oct 2007, 17:19
What might have happened is that TCX had gone to Boeing with a problem which they might have found and Boeing suggested a fleet check on the rest of the TCX fleet.
This is only a guess, as l am unaware of Boeing issuing a Tech Bulletin on the world 757 fleets, but l might be wrong and have missed it.
I know a problem was found on one aircraft in TFS on Friday afternoon, but l do not know if this is linked to the Mahon inspection.