PDA

View Full Version : Atpl Mathematics

bluenose81huskys
5th Oct 2007, 20:40
Hi All, Hope you can help I am going to purchase a ATPL distance learning course soon, I am not the very best of academics but want to do Maths up to this standard. I am 33 yrs old with a PPL (JAR), I work offshore so ATPL DL will be ideal for me.

Can Any one help on the Maths side please or do you know anyone that can help?

All Help is very much appreciated

Thank you

Richie

Whirlygig
5th Oct 2007, 20:57
It depends on your standard. If you are comfortable with manipulating formula i.e. speed = distance divided by time, what is the distance travelled in 2 hours at 60kts - that sort of thing.

Pythagoras theorem and very basic trigonometry related to right-angled triangles is as complex as it gets.

Enrol on your DL course, see how it goes and if you have trouble, contact your school. They will give you help via email or over the phone. If you really want one to one tuition, check the local paper for Maths tutors.

Cheers

Whirls

bluenose81huskys
6th Oct 2007, 07:52
Thanks Whirls! Am well lookin forward to getting stuck in.

flyvirgin
6th Oct 2007, 09:25
I think im going to do the same as you. Im not the best math pupil in the world either,but 6 months prior to my atpl course starting im going to get a math tutor to brush me up.I hope:O
Adam

Whirlygig
6th Oct 2007, 09:28
Flyvirgin, you might be jumping the gun there and going to unnecessary expense.

ATPL distance learning can be done at your own pace; there's no need to "be up to speed" as it were before you enrol. See how it goes first, the maths involved is not that difficult and you might not need extra help. If you do, then it would be easier for a private maths tutor to see the relevance of what you're studying and what you're finding difficult by using the examples in your study manuals.

Cheers

Whirls

flyvirgin
6th Oct 2007, 09:33
Whirls, I want to go on the full time course at london met. whats the best advice to brush up?
cheers mate
Adam

Whirlygig
6th Oct 2007, 11:22
I've not done a full-time course but I would imagine there would be tutors there who could give one-to-one help in a specific aviation context if you're struggling with certain concepts.

However, try BBC Bitesize for algebra and basic maths (although you won't need quadratic equations) and try this for trigonometry

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=210637

There's really nothing more advanced than this.

Cheers

Whirls

flyvirgin
6th Oct 2007, 11:25
thanks alot mate:ok:

matt85
6th Oct 2007, 11:34
Cant really add much to this apart from the fact that half a brain and a bit of refreshment if you havent used it in a while seems to be all you need :ok:

Capt Narcissus
8th Oct 2007, 06:47
Hey mate,

You could also try gettin these:
Pooleys Keynotes for Pilots- Maths and physics
Oxford Aviation Trainings' CBT in Math and Physics Level 1 & 2

Cheers.

Frank Furillo
8th Oct 2007, 09:34
From a fellow 30 something, I too started when I was 34, DL'd with BGS and found the maths to be no problem, you are allowed a Calculator. For the record I did crap at maths at school and have used a calc ever since. I would echo Whirligig's comments. Also Whirlygig, I thought that dress you wore on the gatbash was divine.
You will be fine, just take your time, everything you need will be in your books. You just need to remember the formulas, if you go the BGS route you will have lots of help.
FF
Just to add that Pilots are lazy when it comes to maths, everything needs to be simple when you are under stress, Three times table is useful to know when you convert to jets.

bluenose81huskys
8th Oct 2007, 17:47
I Just Ordered That Keynotes For Pilots "maths And Physics For Pilots By Stuart E Smith And Mike T Groves.

Does Anyone Recommend It?

Whirlygig
8th Oct 2007, 17:50
Also Whirlygig, I thought that dress you wore on the gatbash was divine.
That's most kind Frank but I wasn't at the GatBash this year! You'll be thinking of my good friend Whirlybird. We have a conspiracy; we are never seen in the same room together!

Cheers

Whirls

docash1983
8th Oct 2007, 19:10
Was wondering if: Keynotes For Pilots "maths And Physics For Pilots By Stuart E Smith And Mike T Groves was suitable for practising for aptitude tests for say OAT and Cabair and other like schools.

Thanks

Docash1983