PDA

View Full Version : Qantas to fly 1x weekly Karratha-Brisbane!

pilotdude09
5th Oct 2007, 15:20
Howdy,

Found this in google news, in Singapore so havent seen the papers etc, but very interesting and id expect it to go to 3x weekly within 12 months even 5x weekly. The demand is certainly there and it makes going places 1000000x easier than having to transit through Perth, and with FIFO workers its going to allow them to move or live in Queensland and make that journey alot easier.

But if they only keep it 1x weekly going to need to book months in advance, Wonder if this is to scare off competition with all the other airlines interested particulary DJ. Personally i would have thought Sydney would have been a better link but the workers and Rio Tinto and Woodside have obivously asked for this flight and got it.

Qantas To Operate Services Between Karratha and Brisbane Latest News
Perth, 05 October 2007
Qantas will commence a new Boeing 737-800 weekly service between Brisbane and Karratha in Western Australia from 6 November.

Qantas Regional General Manager Western Australia Ian Gay said the new flights would provide the first direct air access between the growing Pilbara region and the east-coast and would cater predominantly to the resources sector.

"With both Queensland and Western Australia in the midst of this country's resource boom, there is a significant market for these services," Mr Gay said.

Mr Gay said the services would also boost tourism opportunities, providing direct access to two important tourism gateways.

"The Pilbara is home to three national parks, the world's largest single open-cut iron ore mine, prized fishing spots on the coast and some of the country's most ancient Australian Aboriginal art.

"Brisbane is the main gateway to Queensland, which offers a huge range of travel options including the beaches of the Gold and Sunshine Coasts, the pristine waters of the Whitsunday's, the world-famous Great Barrier Reef and the tropical rainforests of the far north."

The Qantas Group currently operates 29 flights and more than 5900 seats in each direction each week between Queensland and Western Australia. Qantas first began services to Karratha from Perth in 1994.

Anyway good news, off to enjoy the last full day of my holiday :):) back to Perth on Sunday night :{

Cheers.