PDA

View Full Version : Ground Jobs

DarrenMoore
20th Jun 2000, 23:08
Hi all!

I'm wondering if somebody can tell me how easy/difficult it is to get a ground job with a company when you have no previous experience but working in a small retail outlet and temporary job for two weeks with a small airline.

I will be finishing my A levels in 2002 so am planning (well) ahead as I am not yet sure whether to sit a degree course.

Thanks in advance,

Darren

------------------
Success=Work=Success!

Doctor Cruces
21st Jun 2000, 12:27
I doubt if anyone in airlines will give you a job for two weeks, you won't have learned enough to be useful by then.

However, you could try getting a work experience placement. You won't get paid of course, but the experience will be worth it if you are considering a job in airlines.

DarrenMoore
21st Jun 2000, 18:07
I had a two week work experience placement last December with a small airline at Manchester airport.

How can a person actually get 'their foot in the door' if nobody will allow them experience? I was very grateful for the willingness of the company who 'took me on' and believe that more companies should be like that.

Regards,
Darren

blackbox
21st Jun 2000, 20:24
Darren,

I myself, was in your position some years back, I had just done 3 weeks work experience, for a Cargo airline within operations.. This gave the intrest and the taste for what is the Aviation industry...

You will need to establish, what job you want to do for an airline???

Following my work experience in the 5th year of school, I sent letter to every airline in the land... It payed off and when I left school I started as an Operations Assistant for a small (now bankrupt) airline at Stansted.. I then moved onto a larger european carrier at Luton (now bankrupt as well) and achieved promotion to Operations Officer !!!

I know work for a Major British Airways regional airline as an Operations Controller, all this acheived in 6 years of hard work within the industry..

As long as you keep pushing and dont aim to high at first. Work hard you could be in the same position as myself in a few years...

JB007
21st Jun 2000, 21:16
Hi Darren,

Becareful if your eventual aim is to fly, I've fallen foul of this a few times...but blackbox is right, try to meet as many contacts as poss. this industry is very much "Not what you know but who..."

Best of Luck
Cheers

------------------
"My Name is Pussy Galore"

"I must be dreaming"

Courtman
21st Jun 2000, 22:16
Perseverance is the key. I left school at 18 with two crap A levels and went to work for an exec charter/flying club mob at Cranfield. I kept writing to every airline in the South East and Midlands and eventually got in with a big charter airline at Luton, working as an Assistant. I've since moved up to within grasp of Controller level (in 5 years), gained a PPL through the company and loads of other experience.

When your new, forget what the old cynics say and go for it. Choose where you want to be and stick with it.. It'll work eventually. Overall, its not a bad life..!