PDA

View Full Version : Flight Ops/Management Career Advice??

ddto
15th Nov 2000, 21:12
From a military helicopter background to Flight Operations or Management job with a major airline.

I'm looking for tips, advice, experiences and opinions on salary, work, satisfaction, perks and pitfalls.

Pleas enlighten me....

no sig
16th Nov 2000, 03:46
ddto
Need a wee bit more to go on than your post details. Are you aircrew? makes a bit difference if you're looking for a Flight Ops management position. Suggest you start with a number of the aviation headhunters or agencies to test the waters in terms of your background and expereince. Try Kelly Aviation in Horley, or JEG Consulting Luton might give you an insight.

Salaries and condition all go with the job and expereince.

[This message has been edited by no sig (edited 15 November 2000).]

roger out
18th Nov 2000, 04:41
ddto - I came into Flt Ops from a military background and my advice to you is to stay in/rejoin the mob!!
Having worked in Flt Ops for a regional airline for some time now,I can tell you from the heart that it is c--p!
Basically (depending of course on the Company you work for) it is constant high pressure and stress for piss-poor money.
My company has cut down the Ops staffing levels to 1 on days, working 12 hour shifts (days and nights) with no breaks and no shift pay. We get 20 days annual and 8PH - the latest plan is for us to have to take 1.5 days leave to get 1 shift off, whilst a PH will only be given as a lieu day if we work it(basically, if a PH falls on a rostered day off you're off anyway, so you don't need a PH!!!!!).
On top of this, we have a management that thinks (and has said to our faces) that Ops is the "toilet of any airline, where everbody dumps their **** ". I'm racking my brains trying to think of something positive to say about the job, but the only high note I can think of is that I may have found a new position away from it!!
I am, of course, only speaking from the limited experience of one Company, but would advise you to choose your employer carefully and don't get conned like I did- you'll get a lot of good gen from very experienced Ops guys on this page and they will advise you on Companies to approach/avoid. GOOD LUCK!!

[This message has been edited by roger out (edited 18 November 2000).]

Euphoria
23rd Nov 2000, 23:52
HELLO