PDA

View Full Version : Luggage Recommendations?

aluminium persuader
4th Oct 2007, 13:18
Some advice please - I'm emigrating to Australia with my family & buying a couple of new suitcases. I need them not just for this trip but regular trips throughout the Far East & back to Blighty. I'm considering the Samsonite Aeris Comfort Spinner 82cm. Anyone got any experience of this? What else should I look at?

Oh, and it needs to be easy to handle because my kids aren't!

Cheers!

ap:ok:

Rainboe
4th Oct 2007, 13:42
Where before we used to look at quality and longevity, I'm afraid now luggage restrictions are so strict what counts most now is......weight. Even cheap bags don't fall apart on one use now- you are almost just as likely to have a Samsonite case bricked- if it's your case's turn, it doesn't matter what make it is. I was looking at some really cheap large wheelie type bags yesterday that were extremely light. After a few trips, you can replace them with new ones for still less than the price of a new 'quality' case. With your big trip, every kilogram will count- keep it light. The lady in the shop was telling me that she's just come from Oz and paid 700AUD in excess baggage. A large case was just over 33 Pounds cost, and packed sensibly, the contents give it a lot of its strength.
(36 years airline crew!)

Strewth- just looked up that case! It's 155 Pounds! Get a cheapie, and if you're not happy, on one of your trips to the Far East, get another cheapie where it's cheap. But that is insane. Not for ordinary working people! And sticky-outy wheels like that are a challenge to loaders! I do walkarounds of aeroplanes whilst they're loaded. You see bags coming off conveyors (up at 747 hold level!), falling off carts, thrown around by loaders. Favourite LHR loaders trick is to drop crew cases if they decide they are too heavy. Stuff quality- go for practical!

aluminium persuader
5th Oct 2007, 08:34
Thanks mate.

I've found a Carlton one of similar size but half the price so I may go for that. Fortunately, for the Big Trip I'm not picking up the tab!:E

ap

merlinxx
5th Oct 2007, 13:58
Gone are the days of the trusted "Globe Trotter" loaders see these with crew tags on, and just need (it's inbred) to trash them, most people can't, but a BA loader is an expert. Go cheap, paint your name on it shows it ain't worth blagging. A buddy (30 yr Capt) still has his #1 daughters pink donkey stickers on his big bag, never been touched!

groundhand
5th Oct 2007, 14:26
Whatever make you decide on bear in mind that most airlines (and airports) will be lowering their maximum individual bag weight from 32kgs to 23kgs in early 2008. This lower level will not affect baggage allowances, just the individual bag weights.

So for family of 4 with 20kgs baggage allowance each = 80kgs.
Currently you can go 2 x 30kgs + 1 x 20kgs.
In future you will need 4 x 20kgs.

So my advice is forget the mega large bags and go for no larger than medium sized. Empty weight should be kept as low as possible so that you don't waste expensivve baggage allowance kgs.

aluminium persuader
7th Oct 2007, 09:34
Thank you all for your wise words!

aluminium persuader
17th Oct 2007, 09:57
A quick post-script -

I found that Freeport outlet centre near Braintree have both Samsonite and Antler stores. I got a couple of Samsonites (not current models but still quite big & quite good) on "buy one get one half-price".

I did notice that at least one shop gave discounts on production of a Stansted ID card. I don't think it was a luggage shop but since I don't work there I didn't pay too much attention.

Also, a big thumbs-up to Carlton Luggage - the wheel on my battered Airtec gave up after 12yrs or so. They sent me a new pair FOC.

fendant
17th Oct 2007, 10:33
I am using the Aluminium Rimova set since 5 years. Two time through O'Hare and nobody will try to mess with it. I am living with the inevitable dents and enjoy the quality, even after doing 150+ legs. (I am not a shareholder nor employee of Rimova ).
One day something sliced it open, the container guys fixed it in 5 minutes:O

Frank

modtinbasher
17th Oct 2007, 11:06
We hit on a trick years ago for maximising cheap bags. We use large light soft walled wheelie bags from the local market cost circa £19.

Stage one. Iron and fold your clothes into blocks eg the size of a pair of jeans/trousers folded 3 times. If intending to lie on the beach, lay your beach towel in the bag in such a way that it will wrap around the whole of the contents when fully packed.

Stage two. Pack socks etc into shoes to make them solid. Wrap each shoe in a Tesco bag. Lay the shoes in the ends of the bag with the soles facing outwards, using the sides of the bag if you pack lots of shoes (Tinbashette lays out the stuff, I pack, there are lots of shoes, and bags, believe me).

Stage three. Next, fill in the gap between the shoes with the handbags and underwear.

Stage four. If there is any room left, consider other clothes at this point. Pick up each 'block' of clothes and lower in the bag, cram them right up to teach end, fill in the gap in the middle. Roll dresses that do not crush and fill gaps with these.

Stage five. Fill the bag to the top and keep pulling up on the sides of the bag so that it fills uniformly. The idea here is to keep the bag as slim as possible so that it will go through the check-in tunnel. When the bag is full, pull the ends of the beach towel up and fold over the top as tightly as you can. Stick an address label on top of the folded towel. If you are not taking a beach towel, use bubble wrap, it's lighter!

Stage six. Right. Zip up the bag. Weigh yourself on the bathroom scales and note weight. Pick up the bag and stand back onto the scales, get your wife or other skivvy to stick their head between your legs and under the bag so that your combined weight can be seen.

Stage seven. Do the calculation..... scream "BUG*ER, it's all those fecking bags and shoes", unzip the bag and start taking stuff out!! (It happens every time, no joke!)

Stage eight. So, you've finally got what she wants in the bag (inside the weight) and what you're not being able to take in a separate pile ready to be rehung in the wardrobe....

Stage nine. Right, you're on your way, arrive at the destination, unzip the bags and everthing is still (well, mostly everytime) in the nice neat blocks you put together. One person unpacks, the other hangs up, some are creased, some are surprisingly not.

It works every time I've found, just don't panic when you get to stage four!

Oh, I forgot. We use electric cable ties to secure the zips. You can immediately see if anyone has tampered with your bag. When I want to cut them off I've a nail clipper hidden in the place where the retractable handle goes, just pull it out on its piece of string and Bob's you uncle!

On the return trip, use the block method but pack all the soiled underwear and small bits (sorted into dark and light) in separate Tesco bags ready for lifting out and putting straight into the washer.

And yes, I know I'd make someone a good wife, but I've already got one of these and one is quite enough thank you, but my domesticity generally affords me a quiet life.

Well, generally...........

Happy packing.

MTB

sistem
17th Oct 2007, 14:06
are you allowed to carry with you an iron , hair dryer and things like that ?