View Full Version : FAA-what next?

Lozza
14th Nov 2000, 00:24
having finally amassed enough dough to go to the good ol' US of A and do the FAA,I need some info about where to start once I've done it.
I've been told a charter operators out of LGW would be the best bet in terms of a starting point.
if anyone knows anyone or could shed any light,it would be much appreciated.

Ta very much.

Whooaahh
14th Nov 2000, 19:16
It all depends on what YOU want to do. I learned the trade from the ground up, starting without any formal qualifications so once I had the FAA ticket I had a much wider experience than just dispatch.

Very few companies will hire you just 'cos you have the licence...they will be looking for experience as well.

I would suggest applying to the aforementioned charter companies at LGW BEFORE you commit to the US$10,000 plus expenses the licence will cost you. If your not tied to working in the UK, then Farnair in Switzerland is regularly on the lookout for Ops staff.

Whooaahh!!!

no sig
16th Nov 2000, 04:04
Lozza
Whooaahh has a point, the FAA ticket is not a guarantee of a job in the UK, it is valuable don't get me wrong, but I would think that you might be better advised to get an operational job in aviation first, ramp, ops or the likes and work away at the dispatch licence after a year or so of learning a bit about the job.

Although not quite so impressive as the FAA Aicraft Dispatchers licence, the UK City and Guild courses in Aviation Studies and particularly the Ops/Dispatch certificate are also a valuable qualification to study.

Lozza
17th Nov 2000, 03:00
thanx for the advice fellas.I should have mentioned that I have done ramp dispatch(weight+balance/load planning/briefing)for nearly for 4 yrs with 2 major airlines at LHR.with this in mind,any further advice?
all replies gratefully appreciated!

moodymoosey
21st Nov 2000, 18:06
Lozza,

I have never noticed FAA dispatchers licence being a pre-requisite for UK charters so would not bother if you are going to stay in UK. This is mainly due to the fundamental differences in the FAA and JAA/CAA rules.

However, I have often noticed Middle East operators specify FAA disp licence as min requirement for ground jobs over there.

I think you will find a JAA licence coming along sooner or later - it's just whether or not it's worth the wait.

Whooaahh
21st Nov 2000, 23:21
Good advise... I seem to have a "Royal Flush" with the FAA Ticket, C&G Aviation Studies, plus C&G Advanced Aviation Studies.

When I re-entered the job market 2 years ago, even with 15 years experience, nobody had any jobs to offer me and I'm now selling Aviation Services.

I still miss the smell of Jet A1 on a cold February morning.

Anyone willing to offer me a real Dispatch job yet? No?...Damn!!

Oh well, back to my spreadsheets!!!

Whooaahh!!!