PDA

View Full Version : CX cadet pilot programme interview in november

homonster
3rd Oct 2007, 22:22
i got an email today from the CPP, 1st interview on the 2xth NOV.
anyone in a smililar position?

montz
5th Oct 2007, 04:49
hey when did you have your initial test?
thanks

Swush
10th Oct 2007, 08:34
Hey there, I applied in July so would like to get an idea when the next stage one interviews are.

Sorry, just to clarify:
When you say '2xth', does that mean 2nd or 20-somethingth?

and you're talking about the HK-based interviews right?

I hope I get asked too! :confused:

Cheers

homonster
11th Oct 2007, 17:30
HK based interview but for overseas.
its after 20th NOV.

i sent my application during August.
and got reply 2 weeks ago

kto_1201
13th Oct 2007, 20:44
Ya i ahve an interview too. I ahve no idea what do expect....anyone help me too???
what is the school's name that cathay trains there cadet?

spooks
13th Oct 2007, 21:42
Training's done at FTA in Parafield, Adelaide.

capt_einz111
14th Oct 2007, 08:04
kto_1201: at least read the cx website before you submit your application....

benedictz
19th Oct 2007, 07:40
any one have any idea when is stage 3 and 4 as I need to book for my accommodations?

Cheers...

faf2007
21st Oct 2007, 01:59
:suspect:hello all

i just got an email last week for 1st stage interview for cx cadet interview... my interview is on 28 nov ....

anyonee from canada heading down ....?
any information for 1st stage will be greatly appreciated....

good luck to all
:suspect:

kto_1201
22nd Oct 2007, 06:44
im heading over from vancouver.....how about u???

benedictz
22nd Oct 2007, 14:22
Hi all, see you all on 28 november morning... anybody from Singapore going?

Cheers...

holdmetight
22nd Oct 2007, 16:28
i'll be flying in from australia... my initial test is scheduled for 27th november, while 1st interview is going to be on any one day between 28th and 30th november, if i pass the initial test.

i was quite surprised to see that they've seperated the initial test and the 1st interview into two seperate days. i remember they used to do these two items on the same day

anyway, we should all come out and meet sometime. good luck on your preps!:ok:

MidgetBoy
28th Oct 2007, 20:18
I'm in for it too, though I'm very nervous. =P

hk380
29th Oct 2007, 02:37
I got a call from them last week, I will being having my 2nd interview at DEC, initial test at SEP and Stage 1 interview at the beginning of OCT

benedictz
29th Oct 2007, 08:07
hk380: r u HKG applicant or overseas applicant? how come the gap between interview is a few months?

any one have any ideas when is stage 3 and 4 for overseas candidate initial test on 28 Nov? not trying to mean i can pass to stage 4 (it will be good if i can), but need to guage the departure date back home as my ticket is (Restricted) un-changable.

hk380
31st Oct 2007, 13:23
Benedictz:
I applied in HK, aout late June

benedictz
1st Nov 2007, 06:18
hk380: woah, so you get more time to prepare for every stage. all the best!

hmm... so much to study and so little time...

cx587
1st Nov 2007, 07:04
Totally agree with you benedictz! good luck for your interviews as well.

benedictz
1st Nov 2007, 08:08
cx587: all the best to ur CIR

Cheers

cx587
1st Nov 2007, 14:18
benedictz: lol..I think you got the wrong person, I"m not doing my CIR yet. I only have a Canadian PPL.

benedictz
1st Nov 2007, 18:43
cx587: haha... wrong person? so u r oso coming for initial test in 28 Nov :)

MidgetBoy
1st Nov 2007, 19:27
hey benedictz, if your location is Singapore, did you also apply for SIA's Cadet program?

cx587
1st Nov 2007, 22:48
benedictz: negative, trying to slot myself in the Jan. batch...still waiting for CX's invitation...

holdmetight
2nd Nov 2007, 03:31
cx587: you'll be just fine ;)

benedictz
2nd Nov 2007, 06:26
Singapore for your information employ people based on academic qualification (the higher the qualification, the better you are in your brain, every cohort only 1 or 2 cadets with Diploma or A level - Straight 'A's, the rest of cadet with IQ so high that you will be surprise how come people with such qualifications are inside SIA - so there are many wannabes with passions but not enough Grade A in school - you are never shortlisted for life - this is what is happening to me), there are many doctors, dentists, economists, lawyers or rather professionals that switched to a career as SIA pilot (most of my fren inside are scholars) and we only get to apply at 27 years old as our government is extremely careful that flyboy do not end up in SIA and no people flying our military aircraft been bonded for 12 years, yet in a class of 30 airmen (i was formerly trained in airforce school - air defence unit for 28 mths, and most of my course mates are cadets who failed the course, only a few get to join SIA CPP after our military terms), with only 3-4 eventually get up to fly F16 or others heli & transport. Therefore SIA choose to select cadet from various provinces in Malaysia, India, Singapore (after 26 yrs old with good grades - so if you think getting Grade B is consider good, think again cause the guy sitting next to you might not even have a single Grade B in his university transcript), Hong Kong (*min university honours degree from universities in HK) and other countries which i can't be bothered to know. it does not mean i come from Singapore i stand a greater chance with SIA, i will need to be as smart as those applicants SIA is drawing from nearby countries in order to be shortlisted.

Cheers... Hong Kong, here i come again...

gkyip
5th Nov 2007, 21:40
I'll see you all there! Coming from the UK, very nervous! Any tips for the day and what I can expect when I get there?

benedictz
6th Nov 2007, 14:40
it seems like an UN meeting...

anyone can confirm dress code?

Regards,

MidgetBoy
7th Nov 2007, 05:19
If the interview process for people out of town is supposed to be done within 1 month, does that mean the flight grading is done in that time? Will we be flown down to Australia for that or would it just be in a simulator?

capt_einz111
7th Nov 2007, 09:02
No, it will be almost impossible to include the grading within 1 month. And about the grading, read the website...

MidgetBoy
7th Nov 2007, 20:47
I heard the flight grading would be sometime next year in April (I think?) from that book Cathay wrote. Does that mean for us foreigners we would be required to stay in HK during that time? Or would we be free to do whatever.
And at the moment my hotel and flight back home is booked to end (hotel) and flight back home for the 21st of december. Assuming I make it that far, would the interviewing pass that date if there weren't any typhoons that might postpone it longer?

Another question, I know Cx doesn't test your Cantonese/Mandarin skills, but speaking those languages still is an asset since you can communicate with some passengers better too right? Or would it be completely useless?

holdmetight
8th Nov 2007, 00:22
from what i know, CX does not require you to stay in HK during the time between the management interview and the flight grading. you may leave HK as you wish, but you will have to fly back to HK for the flight grading briefing, which is usually several days before the batch leave HK for ADL.

whether or not all interviews would pass 21/12 is anyone's guess...

being able to speak Mandarin/Cantonese would be an additional asset, but not compulsory... in the end, Cathay is a HK-based company, and many other employees will converse in cantonese. knowing the dialect would be a bonus... but technically speaking, the only language that matters is English. if you can't address passengers in cantonese, someone else who can will do that, on your behalf. don't worry!

benedictz
8th Nov 2007, 14:01
compulsory to wear suit and tie?

cheungy2002
8th Nov 2007, 20:57
hey im coming from the UK.. was wondering if anyone from the UK is going to be having interviews on the 28th of nov... im gonna assume that it'll be rather formal and smart dress. but if anyone can confirm this that would be great.

cx587
8th Nov 2007, 23:37
benedictz: It is at your discretion but for the sake of impression and respect of the position you are going for, imo a formal suit and tie should be worn for the interview.

kuzukuzu
9th Nov 2007, 00:37
Hi everyone, just found this site - I'll be there also, coming up from Australia.

With regards to the dress code concerns, I've spoken with a CX C&T captain who has mentioned that the vast majority of cadet applicants (as well as other direct entry persons) are dressed in a conservative suit plus tie attire. Ideally for the same reasoning as cx587 suggested.

See you all there and good luck to all. :)

holdmetight
9th Nov 2007, 01:30
guys -

i am thinking of organizing a gathering for candidates who are going to have initial test on 27th november and 1st interview on 28th-30th november... anyone who is interested please send me a PM with your contact email, name and when you will arrive in HKG.

getting to know each other before potentially having group exercises etc. together will be a good bonus!:ok:

faf2007
9th Nov 2007, 03:17
hi guys/gals

im in for the get together! just post in the place and time on here once finalised.

will be in hkg on 26 nov.. from canada.

my interview is on 28 nov.

good luck all!

benedictz
9th Nov 2007, 04:16
got it about the dress code!

holdmetight: initial test on 28 Nov. can join the gathering?

reaching HKG from SGP on 22 Nov midnite...

post the details here preferably...PM me if necessary...

Ciao...

:8 :8 :8

Dub-U!
9th Nov 2007, 16:41
Hey guys - I don't have an interview (not just yet as I need to finalize some things with HK Immg) but would love to meet up with you guys to learn more about the process. I'm flying in from the USA on the 21st and will be around till the Dec 14th. I'll monitor this space...

MidgetBoy
10th Nov 2007, 18:58
@Dub-U Are you getting your permanent resident or just working permit?

How many people here have applied with just a working permit?

Dub-U!
10th Nov 2007, 22:19
CX is asking for Residence in HK, which I believe used to say Permanent HK Resident. If you can get an identity card (ROA or RTL), you should be good. I'm going back to claim ROA, FWIW.

MidgetBoy
10th Nov 2007, 22:25
Well, I got an interview and I only have my working permit which I got in the summer.
It would seem weird why Cx would require you to have a permanent resident over just a working permit since the only difference is that they can vote. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I would love to know what else I'm restricted to)

Anyways, I've heard that the aircraft at FTA have headsets that are stuck into each aircraft. And since the training will be in some other month, if we had a headset we wouldn't be required to bring it would we?

Does anyone else have some decent experience in aircraft, like over 50 hours or so? (Or any experience at all?)

holdmetight
11th Nov 2007, 00:16
well (IMHO) the reason CX used to require permanent HK residency wasn't due to any political reason, it was just that times were better and the pilot recruitment situation wasn't as crazy as it is now. the cadet recruitment people could afford to select cadets from amongst permanent HK residents, and ignore everyone else. it didn't give them a whole lot of candidates to choose from, but things worked out anyway.

unfortunately, the picture ain't so rosy anymore... check out the other Fragrant Harbour forum for details!!!

about headsets... from what i have been told, you are given a headset by FTA... so you don't need to bring your own. the headset isn't really stuck into the aircraft, so you don't need to worry about what the previous user left on the microphone tip :ok: however, that will change once you enter Cathay.........:D

Dub-U!
11th Nov 2007, 02:30
Have a PPL w/ Complex endorsement and about to jump on an accelerated IR course. You guys have flown before right? Would be crazy to jump head first into something like this unless you know for sure aviation is in your blood. Good luck to all, hope that I can get my application in soon.

MidgetBoy
11th Nov 2007, 06:21
I'm a few hours short of my CPL.. I don't know what Cx counts as overqualified for their cadet program because to my understanding they prefer to teach students with some hours, but not much so they don't have too many bad habits that they can pick up from other instructors.
I heard the cut off age for the Cadet program was 28, nice to know a lot of you guys are still getting interviews, it shows a little that Cx is desperate for pilots =P gives me a little more hope inside knowing that my flight and hotel booking isn't most likely a very expensive job interview if I get in..

*edit*just read from another thread that some people with frozen atpls apply too.. WHOA! I guess i'm fine =P (I guess they looked past my hours, now I just have to do well in the rest of the interviewing process and flight grading)

holdmetight
11th Nov 2007, 07:30
it's not true that the cut-off age is 28... i know of at least one cadet who joined the programme when he was 3x.

MidgetBoy
11th Nov 2007, 07:43
Cx probably changed a lot since they're needing a lot of pilots. Especially now that SIA is going to allow HK working permit holders apply for their cadet program soon.

somerandom
12th Nov 2007, 07:37
midgetboy: You are far from being too qualified. If you have less than 1000 hrs then you can only apply to be a cadet pilot. Also I know a lot of people who have no flying experience at all have been accepted as a cadet.

Anyone know when are they going to confirm the date for the 2nd interview cos they called ages ago and I am starting to get worried.... need that book from them to start learning about planes!!! :ouch:

holdmetight
12th Nov 2007, 10:46
one of my friends attended the CXCPP career talk that was held in Hong Kong University today... and this is what he heard.

1. they will be doing three cadet courses in 2008, expecting 13 cadets per class.

2. the start dates for these three courses will be May, August and October respectively.

3. applicants who apply after 30th December 2007 and are accepted will be allocated into courses starting in 2009.

sugizo20
12th Nov 2007, 16:15
About the point 3, Peggy misunderstood the question. Actually, the one who asked question was completely confused. The starting date of the cpp is very clear.

bonbon512
12th Nov 2007, 18:47
As a side note, is there another CXCPP career talk coming up? Also, where do you find out the scheduling for these talks?

MidgetBoy
12th Nov 2007, 22:28
Thanks for that, I thought that Cx was looking for mostly non-experienced people or slightly experienced if they were older since they say they want to teach people from scratch. But either way we're still being taught from the basics anyways.
Good luck to everyone!

PS. Omg my hotel is charging me HK$1200 for internet. That's gonna hurt. Booked for a month and I still don't get free internet.

holdmetight
13th Nov 2007, 00:43
sugizo20:
yes, i wouldn't be surprised if she had misunderstood the question. would sound very fishy if they put everyone who applied in 2008 into 2009 courses! what do you think she really meant then? :confused:

bonbon512:
CX has put up their schedule for their upcoming career talks in local universities, you can find it in the CPP official website. it is as below:

HK Poly U
Date: 15 Nov 07
Time: 1230 - 1400
Venue: N001 Lecture Theatre

HKUST
Date: 22 Nov 07
Time: 1230 - 1400
Venue: Leung Yat Sing Lecture Theatre (LT F)

CUHK
Date: 22 Nov 07
Time: 1700 - 1830
Venue: LT, William M.W. Mong Engineering Building

hope that helps!

VinnieC
13th Nov 2007, 04:59
MidgetBoy, did you look at YMCA? My friend working at YVR went to HK in the summer with his wife. He got a nice room with ocean view, and the location is great. I dont remember how much he paid for the room, but he said the price isnt expensive. Check it out.

I want to add a question here. I have been planning for CX cadet for a while and i am going to apply soon. My concern is that I wont have my diploma until next Feb. Can I send in the application now? Does anyone have similar experience?

MidgetBoy
13th Nov 2007, 06:34
Yes, I stayed at the YMCA in the summer too to get my working permit. But since I'm pretty young, my mom wanted to get a hotel closer to Cx City so I'm staying in Tung Chung now. Apparently it's a relatively safe neighborhood too since my Cantonese isn't the greatest. Don't want to get robbed if they think I'm a tourist.

About you applying though, you should apply ASAP and then update them when you finish your diploma. You probably won't get contacted with an interview this early anyways, though they should tell you when they are hiring again so you know you didn't miss the hiring date.

sgsslok
13th Nov 2007, 08:27
Not true. 1000TT with CPL, Multi-IR and frozen ATPL is the MINIMUM requirement for DESO. Yet, applicants generally will not be invited for interviews for DESO unless have 3000+ TT with 1000+ multi-engine turbine time. Those experience will take at least a few years at a regional carrier to obtain.

There are more interview stages for Cadets, yet the interviews for Direct Entry pilots are harder and more competitive. Moreover, there are 6-9 months of waiting from employment offer to start date for Direct Entry pilots.

For example, let's say 2 guys finished their flight training with frozen ATPLs at the same time. A got into CPP, while B got into a regional carrier. B would start flying jets/turboprops when A started training in Adelaide. By the time A finished training and start as an SO, B would need another year or so to accumulate enough time for an interview for DESO. By the time B got the time, went through all the interviews, and waited for the start date, A would have 2 to 3 years of seniority ahead of B.

About the money part... can't argue with that. Direct entry pilots make more money.

But there is no faster way to a CX cockpit than being a cadet for a low time pilot.

somerandom
13th Nov 2007, 08:28
(http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/careers/flying/so_requirements)

All Second Officer applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/internet/images/Careers2/pic_so_req01.jpg

An ICAO Airline Transport Pilot's License (ATPL) (obtained without exemptions) or ICAO Commercial Pilot's License (CPL) (obtained without exemptions) with passes in all ATPL ground examinations
A Valid Multi-Engine Instrument Rating
A minimum of 1000 hours fixed wing (preference will be given to applicants with turbine or multi-engine experience)
Experience commensurate with age
A current Class One Medical
Fluent spoken & written EnglishI think you need more than a frozen ATPL

somerandom
13th Nov 2007, 08:32
Does anyone know whether CPP will ever get housing benefits during their career with CX, such as in the 3rd year or when they get promoted to FO?

holdmetight
13th Nov 2007, 08:42
1000 hours is not enough, they probably wouldn't give you an interview with this little time. this is the minimum CX requires for DESOs but if you really want to be competitive, you should be looking at a minimum of about 3000 to 4000 hours? not to mention that they prefer people with multi-engine and turbine time... CX is desperate for pilots but i'm not sure they will just take anyone at the moment.

every coin has two sides, and you choose which side to look at depending on what matters to you. training and then flying bush for 7-8 years, and then applying for DESO in any major airline would be a good thing, in terms of financial compensation. however, if you are keen on pocketing the big bucks, be prepared for a meagre wage during your 7-8 years outside the majors. the time with them will make you competitive but will not thicken your wallet considerably.

CXCPP is kind of like a short-cut for those who are keen on working in the majors. it's true that ex-cadets' wages will differ from their direct-entry counterparts by a significant amount, but they havea head-start in the company. an example of this is their edge in terms of seniority. while a potential DESO applicant is earning his hours outside, a CPL-holder who applied for the CPP will already be in the company, flying the big jets and earning his seniority. 8 years later, when the DESO applicant joins the company, the ex-cadet will already be a F/O. not rocket science!

so again, it all depends on what you're looking for.

my two cents worth :ok:

holdmetight
13th Nov 2007, 08:46
wow! sgsslok you are fast! 15 minutes earlier than me in saying exactly what i had wanted to say. :D:D

anyway, i don't think CX gives housing benefits to cadets, no matter which stage of career they are in.

kto_1201
13th Nov 2007, 09:03
this is kind of a previous topic but for the interview we all kind of know it's suit and tie...but how about the colour of the shirt and tie??? ive heard the traditional white or blue shirt...with somewhat matching tie....but i was thinking about a green shirt and tie....a cathay green too....think that would work???
also anyone else going to the interview from YVR??

sgsslok
13th Nov 2007, 09:14
holdmetight-

Thank you! Your post was spot on as well.

Your info about housing allowance is not true, however. Local captains get HK$24k a month for housing. It's true that no other local pilots other than captains get housing allowance. That's why some ex-cadets FOs have jumped ship to Oasis because Oasis gives housing to everyone.

Then again, because of that, CX no longer puts cadets onto the 747s.

karam
13th Nov 2007, 09:38
That whole spiel about CX not taking DESO below 3000TT is false. They look at your overall picture, ie what a/c you were operating, the nature of operations, your status as a resident in HK, personality. Cathay state the minimum requirement is 1000TT for a DESO position and that is what they go by. There have been plenty of new pilots with the minimum requirement who have been offered a place. The amount of experience is not based on how many hours you have but rather the amount of sectors you flown. If you've racked up thousands of hours doing long haul, I'm afraid you haven't flown much. In my opinion the entire concept of a second officer (the way cathay implement it) is a waste of company resources. There is no reason a cadet cannot go from finishing flight training to operating from the right hand seat of a big jet. It's being done everywhere else. Another thing that cathay will be looking at, as I mentioned earlier, is the type of flying you have done. Anyone can shoot an ILS. How many non-precision approaches does cathay do? probably none. Perhaps once or twice in the sim. It is these things cathay would look at rather than the amount of hours above 1000TT that you have logged.

holdmetight
13th Nov 2007, 11:51
karam:

i do agree with you that CX's SO position is a total waste of resources. enough said about that!

but i don't really agree with your statement that plenty of new pilots are being offered jobs with the minimum requirements. while i do not have any ballpark figures in hand, taking a look at another thread in the fragrant harbour wannabe forum is a good reference in itself. while it's true that 3000+ hours are not compulsory, this is the norm. most of the guys who applied for jobs (and bothered to tell other ppruners about it) have more than 3000 hours, some a little less, and only one who was employed with a mere 1100 hours. unless you are totally confident that you can be that one person, i believe that CPP will always be a quicker way to a CX cockpit than saving time for direct entry.

another thing worth mentioning is that most of the direct-entry pilots come from LCCs or small flying organizations. they may have been charter pilots, flight instructors, military pilots or captains of turboprops in small airlines. it's not often that they (can) employ other pilots from long-haul major airlines, so basically everyone who can get an interview with cathay will already have a reasonable amount of technical ability (and experience) when it comes to flying. not to mention one of the hurdles an applicant must pass before being offered a job is a sim assessment on a B742 simulator!

what i'm trying to say is that while quality and number of sectors flown is important, TT is equally or possibly more important. since everyone has done a good amount of hands-on flying when applying, the more TT means the more sectors, and the more experience and tech aptitude. most applicants are pilots from LCCs and small airlines, and how often do these airlines use cruise pilots? never!

therefore, while building TT takes a lot of time and effort, the CPP will provide a direct path to the majors and save a lot of time that would otherwise have been used in logging hours.

sugizo20
13th Nov 2007, 12:13
Holdmetight:

I can't really remember what the woman (is that woman?) said. In fact, her question was not really meaningful. So you can ignore it.

By the way, are you a hku student? You will apply for cpp this year?

holdmetight
13th Nov 2007, 23:22
sugizo20:

i'm not a HKU student and i'm scheduled to have interviews in the end of this month.

MidgetBoy
14th Nov 2007, 00:10
If you use your CPL spend 10 months volunteering to fly medivac in canada or uk or something, you'll build 800+ hours + 200 (for CPL) that you already have, it's enough.
How would you go around to volunteering to fly Medivac? It seems like a good backup plan incase I can't get into Cathay. I'm sure you'd be required to get your ME-IFR first right? Would they only expect you to get your CPL? And isn't it a little unorthodox to work for no pay?

sgsslok
14th Nov 2007, 01:09
I wouldn't necessarily agree that SO is a waste of resource. In fact, it's the other way around.

In CX, FOs get complete type-ratings. If every new hire (direct entry or cadet) is a first officer, a lot more training resources will need to be allocated to keep everyone current.

Moreover, when it comes to long-haul and ultra-long-hauls, having 3 or 4 crews who are all CNs and FOs will definitely increase the operating cost due to higher salaries they get.

That's why SO exists in CX. With the amounts of LHs and ULHs they fly, having SOs allow CX to save $$ on recurrent training and pilot salaries.

hk380
14th Nov 2007, 04:11
Wow, seems everyone going a little off track of the topic...atm I think best if we just get our head down on what we should focus. Any updates on 2nd interview pls reply!!!

holdmetight
14th Nov 2007, 05:07
good point, sgsslok. i must admit i had ever considered things from that perspective!

however, i believe there are more (better) ways that S/O's role in CX can be improved. S/Os come from various backgrounds but one thing is for sure - they have been trained to fly and are proficient at what they do. many will have logged several thousand hours before joining the company... why not make use of the experience they have gained during all those hours? i do not believe that making them sit in the cockpit during cruise and watch the autopilot is a task that you specifically need someone of a specific rank to do. cruise pilot function can be done by F/O, S/O or even CN. if S/O are also allowed to participate in landings and takeoffs, it will cost more in terms of resources to keep their type rating current. true. but then it would also save in terms of manpower... the S/O could step in and do the job of a normal F/O, so potentially there's a budget saver in that you can employ less F/Os.

it's kind of like an Airbus CCQ thing. if you have pilots who can fulfill two roles at the same time (flying as a relief pilot or flying as a copilot), then potentially the company saves money in human resource, because the company doesn't need to employ one pilot each to fulfill these roles. just like companies with extensive Airbus fleets can save up on pilot expenditure because their pilots can MFF.

if pilots are not fully utilized to their utmost abilities, a waste of resources will still occur.

my very humble two cents ;)

adamk
14th Nov 2007, 06:14
Hey all....first post here!.....

been reading the forum for abit, and just got a question or two regarding the CX cadet interviews. If you applied for the cadet program, but fail to meet their requirements. Would they at least tell you that you didn't cut it? or you simply hang in the darkness(3-4 months until you realize that they don't want you?

Thanks!

benedictz
14th Nov 2007, 07:55
adamk: as for me, they sent me a rejection letter within one week when i was not shortlisted in 2006.

likewise it took them one week to inform me the interview schedule in 2007.

it really depends on the workload of HR at that point of application

as for wait how long to know if you are shortlisted, in CX Singapore FAQ - two months wait if no letter pls consider ur application failed.

>>> How do I know if my application is successful or not?

Cadet Pilot applicants who do not hear from us within eight weeks may consider their application unsuccessful.

First and Second Officer applicants are encouraged to send Update Forms outlining any changes in your contact details and/or flying hours. We will acknowledge receipt of all correspondence sent to the Flight Crew Recruitment Section.

Cheer...

adamk
14th Nov 2007, 10:50
benedictz:

Thanks benedictz for clearing that up.

Looks like I aint in a very good position at the moment then eh!.. just two more weeks till 8 weeks...

MidgetBoy
14th Nov 2007, 16:44
Well Adamk, if you applied for the cadet program for the November interviewing schedule too, there is no point in waiting those last 2 weeks. The interviewing starts in 2 weeks from now and they should have contacted you in early October.

hk380
16th Nov 2007, 04:27
adamk:cheer up, I heard some people do get a call after 8 weeks....from both have and not have flying experience

adamk
16th Nov 2007, 07:36
Thanks for all the replies! I got curious at the end and decided to fire off a email to the cadet recruitment HR. Got an email back today advising that i am shortlisted.....

lol.. say what!??....:D:D

Adam

hk380
16th Nov 2007, 14:35
adamk:I think is a good news

MidgetBoy
18th Nov 2007, 02:46
I heard training a cadet and having them work as an SO for two years pays off already for the training and room/board in Adelaide since they don't have to hire a F/O to sit there instead.

holdmetight
18th Nov 2007, 04:15
let's hope they hire more cadets in the coming years!!!:ok:

MidgetBoy
18th Nov 2007, 04:29
Well according to the other forum threads, they're changing the CPP to 3-4 hirings next year with 13 cadets each time. But I know this year, the summer hiring had about 25 cadets. So they're going to end up with the same cadets in the end.

sgsslok
18th Nov 2007, 05:27
Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter how many cadets CX wants to hire, since they were never enough applicants who meet their standards.

Remember, they do not pick the best 30 out of 3000 applicants every year and put them into the cadet course. They pick the ones who pass the line set by CX.

The lack of quality applicants is the reason why a permanent residency in HK is no longer a requirement.

For this year, only 19 cadets were sent to Adelaide, not 25. There were actually less cadets hired in 2007 than in 2006.

benedictz
18th Nov 2007, 05:52
keep our finger crossed !!! and good luck to all applicants...

no long need HKG residency? really?

MidgetBoy
18th Nov 2007, 06:00
Oh, my friend said there were about 25 cadets with him. And I knew one other that got in that group too.

sgsslok
18th Nov 2007, 06:26
A permanent residency is not required, but you still need to be a Hong Kong resident. There's a difference between the two.

If you included everyone from CX, KA and HKGFS, then there are 29 cadets total. I don't know where he got 25 cadets from. Each course (CX, KA, GFS) has 10 or less cadets.

MidgetBoy
18th Nov 2007, 06:30
Well he said he was with 26 cadets when they went to flight grading or something. Maybe 7 of them dropped out after that.
Anyways, it doesn't matter how many cadets got in during the summer. It matters that we get in! :)

MidgetBoy
19th Nov 2007, 03:14
Anyone know if it's required to memorize the oral presentation?

holdmetight
19th Nov 2007, 03:22
best you did, though not compulsory

MidgetBoy
19th Nov 2007, 03:32
I plan on memorizing however, I'm going to carry my presentation up with me incase I get nervous and freak out =P

benedictz
19th Nov 2007, 03:41
that is for me, i m not memorising...

all of you guys are stressing me up ...

Haha....

holdmetight
19th Nov 2007, 04:24
OK guys, here's the deal.

27th November, at 7pm... how's that sound? provided business is strictly adhered to ;), it shouldn't last too long and those who have initial test/stage 1 interview on the following day should be able to enjoy an appropriate amount of rest.

how's that sound? suggestions welcomed. if you want to come please signal your intent, i want to get an estimate of the number of participants... i will think of a venue once the date and number of participants have been confirmed.

thanks for your attention guys, good luck on your prep and see you soon:ok:

VinnieC
19th Nov 2007, 04:36
You present in front of all other cadet interviewees right? That's interesting. Use the 5 minutes wisely to make an impression on them.

Such a good idea to have a meet, too bad I won't be in this intake.

Best of lucky to all of you :ok:

sgsslok
19th Nov 2007, 05:03
You will be doing the English presentation one-on-one with one of the HR personnel at recruitment.

Memorization is not required. However, it is not a good idea to just 'read' your presentation.

VinnieC
19th Nov 2007, 05:36
True. You are presenting yourself more than the content of the presentation.

MidgetBoy
19th Nov 2007, 05:40
Well ofcourse it's bad to just read it. You appear so unprepared.

spooks
19th Nov 2007, 09:37
Seems like everyone I've talked to is either going on the 27th or 28th morning sessions....anyone who's going on the 28th's afternoon session?

Johnny1981
19th Nov 2007, 14:05
Anyone doing the initial stage 1 test on the 26th?

English
Reasonong
Aptitude
Presentation

benedictz
19th Nov 2007, 14:40
how i wish my test will be in the afternoon - lets hope no traffic jams on kowloon side in that early morning...

somerandom
19th Nov 2007, 14:50
The presentation is by far the easiest part of the day. Wait till you do the bloody co-ordination test. After it you would feel like you probably should try out for the paralympics.

kuzukuzu
19th Nov 2007, 22:56
somerandom, with regards to the presentation, do they just ask you to talk for up to 5mins uninterrupted?

Captain_ian
20th Nov 2007, 01:46
Cathay History (Updated till summer 2007)

IATA CX
ICAO CPA
Callsign Cathay
Founded 1946 Hubs Hong Kong International Airport
Frequent flyer program Asia Miles
Member lounge First/Business Class Lounge (no member lounges)
Alliance oneworld
Fleet size 95
Destinations 92
Parent company Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd.
Headquarters Hong Kong, People's Republic of China
Key people Philip Chen (CEO), David Turnbull (Chairman)
Website www.cathaypacific.com (http://www.cathaypacific.com/)
Cathay Pacific Airways Limited (Traditional Chinese: 國泰航空有限公司, Simplified Chinese: 国泰航空有限公司; Mandarin Pinyin: Guótài Hángkōng Yŏuxiàn Gōngsī; abbreviation: 國泰/国泰) (HKEx: 0293) is an Asian commercial airline based in Hong Kong. It operates scheduled passenger and cargo services to 90 destinations world-wide. Its main base is Hong Kong International Airport, otherwise known as Chek Lap Kok International.

History

A Cathay Pacific Boeing 747-400 aircraft at London Heathrow
Cleaning a Cathay Pacific Boeing 747-400
A Cathay Pacific Airbus A330-300 at Taipei Chiang Kai-shek International AirportCathay Pacific Airways was founded in Shanghai on September 24, 1946 by an American and an Australian, Roy Farrell and Sydney de Kantzow, both ex-air force, who each put up HK$1 to register the airline. According to legend, the airline was conceived by Farrell and some foreign correspondents at the bar of the Manila Hotel. They had a single Douglas C-47. The company initially flew routes between Hong Kong, Sydney, Manila, Singapore, Shanghai, and Guangzhou, while scheduled service was limited to Manila, Singapore and Bangkok only. In 1948 Butterfield & Swire bought 45% of Cathay Pacific, with Australian National Airways taking 35% and Farrell and de Kantzow taking 10% each. The new company began operations on 1 July 1948 and was registered as Cathay Pacific Airways (1948) Ltd on 18 October 1948. Swire later acquired 52% of Cathay Pacific and the airline is still part of the Swire Group through Swire Pacific.

The airline prospered into the 1960s, buying rival Hong Kong Airways in 1959, recording double digit growth until 1967, acquiring its first jet engined aircraft (Convair 880) and beginning international routes to airports in Japan. In 1966 the airline had carried a million passengers. Expansion continued throughout the 1970s and especially the 1980s, when an industry-wide boom encouraged route growth to many European centres and Cathay Pacific went public in 1986. In January 1990, Cathay Pacific and its parent company Swire Pacific acquired a significant shareholding in Dragonair, and a 60% stake in cargo airline Air Hong Kong. The company was hurt by the Asian recession of the late 1990s, undergoing a reorganization and developing a new identity.

In 1996 the Chinese CITIC bought a 25% stake in Cathay Pacific. The Swire Group holding was reduced to 44% as two other Chinese companies, CNAC and CTS also bought substantial holdings. In September 1998 Cathay Pacific became a founder member of the Oneworld Alliance.

In 2004 the airline had a turnover of HK$ 39,065 million and made a profit of HK$ 4,417 million. The airline is now owned by Swire Group (45.11%) and Citic Pacific (25.4%) and has 15,040 employees (at January 2005).

Awards
Rated as one of the four five-star airlines by Skytrax
Skytrax Audit-approved airline
Skytrax World's Best First Class Lounge Award 2005
Skytrax World's Best Business Class Lounge Award 2005
Skytrax World's Best Airline Award 2003, 2005
Skytrax World's Best First Class 2004, 2005
Skytrax World's Best Transpacific Airlines 2004
Cathay Pacific's home base at Hong Kong International Airport was voted the world's best airport in 2005 for the fifth year running.
Holder of a Pacific Imperial Mark.
Cathay Pacific was recently named the Best Overall Airline in the world by passengers surveyed. Source

Onboard services

Entertainment
Cathay Pacific's entertainment system is called StudioCX.

Personal Television (PTV) is available in all classes and on all flights. Passengers in all classes can choose from more than 20 different video channels. Ten interactive games are available on all long-haul flights.

Audio/Video on Demand (AVOD) service is available for all First and Business Class passengers on all long-haul flights.

StudioCX provides many programmes and films mainly in Cantonese and English with some programmes in Mandarin and Japanese. On selected routes there are also many English-language movies with alternative soundtracks in a broad range of European and Asian languages.

The StudioCX system is being upgraded in all classes and the first aircraft featuring the upgraded system (an A330-300) is already in service. However, AVOD is not available for the Economy Class even with the upgraded system, instead they have video channels with a better programming.

Cathay Pacific Network

Cathay Pacific Cargo has launched daily freighter services from Hong Kong to Shanghai using Boeing 747-200F aircraft, making it the second mainland China city served after it resumed passenger services to Beijing in December 2003, after a 13 year break (ref: Airliner World, March 2005).

The first flight to land at the new Hong Kong International Airport, Chek Lap Kok, was the Cathay Pacific flight CX6889 from New York JFK Airport, USA, non-stop and flying over the North Pole, which arrived at 06:30am Hong Kong time at July 6, 1998. This flight was named "Polar One". This flight path has now become the main route from the U.S. East Coast to Asia. The non-stop route from Hong Kong to New York JFK over the North Pole became fully operational on 1 July 2004 with A340-600 aircraft. It is Cathay Pacific's longest direct flight, lasting for 16 hours.

After 25 years of operating flights to London, Cathay Pacific annouced on June 27, 2005 the addition of a fourth daily non-stop flight to the British capital. The new service will begin on December 1, 2005 and will be operated by an Airbus A340-300 in a three class configuration.

On August 1st 2005, Cathay Pacific added a third daily non-stop service to Los Angeles.

On August 3rd 2005, Cathay Pacific announced the addition of a second daily non-stop flight to and from Jakarta. This new service will be operated by an Airbus A330-300 (two class configuration) starting on November 1st 2005. This new service will replace a current one-stop service to Jakarta via Singapore.

Cathay Pacific will also add new freighter service to Atlanta and Dallas later this year (2005).

The fifth daily flight to Seoul, South Korea will begin with effect from January 27, 2006.

The flights to Manchester, United Kingdom will be resumed at March 27,2006 together with the launch of the new direct service of Moscow, Russia (being the intermediate stop) with flight numbers CX236/237, operating three flights a week, in addition to the current code-share service of Aeroflot.

On December 7, 2005, Cathay Pacific announced it will strengthen Hong Kong and Europe's connections with a daily service to Rome, starting March 27, 2006. Cathay Pacific is the only airline that operates direct flights to Italy from Hong Kong.

Codeshare partners
Cathay Pacific network is expanding rapidly with many codeshare links from oneworld hubs such as American Airlines' Chicago O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles International, San Francisco International and British Airways' London Heathrow.

Cathay Pacific has also started to codeshare on France SNCF TGV Trains from Aéroport Charles-de-Gaulle TGV Station to ten French cities.

The following are codeshare partners and codeshare links of Cathay Pacific:
Air China: Cathay Pacific will codeshare with Air China on flights between Hong Kong and Beijing with effect from October 30, 2005. Cathay Pacific has a 10% equity holding in Air China.
Aeroflot: Cathay Pacific puts its "CX" code on Aeroflot's four flights weekly between Hong Kong and Moscow.
American Airlines (oneworld member): Cathay Pacific puts its code on American Airlines' flights to more than 20 US cities from American Airlines' hubs including Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth and New York.
British Airways (oneworld member): British Airways carries the "CX" code to more than 15 European cities from London Heathrow. Cathay Pacific also carries the "BA" code from Hong Kong to some South Asian destinations such as Denpasar (Bali).
Iberia Airlines (oneworld member): Cathay Pacific codeshares on Iberia's flights from Amsterdam to Madrid and from London to Barcelona. In return, Iberia puts its "IB" code on Cathay Pacific's flights between Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
Japan Airlines (oneworld member-to-be): Cathay Pacific codeshares with Japan Airlines from Hong Kong to Fukuoka, Nagoya and Osaka.
Malaysia Airlines: Cathay Pacific codeshares with Malaysia Airlines on flights between Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Penang.
Qantas (oneworld member): Cathay Pacific carries "QF" code from Hong Kong to Rome. However, there is no codeshare agreement for flights between Hong Kong and Australia.
SNCF TGV Trains: Cathay Pacific puts its "CX" code on the train services from Paris' Aéroport Charles-de-Gaulle TGV Station to Bordeaux, Lille, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier, Nantes, Poitiers, St-Pierre des Corps / Tours and Valence.
South African Airways: The two carriers codeshare on all flights between Hong Kong and Johannesburg. However, the agreement will be terminated in early 2006 since South African Airways will join Star Alliance.
Vietnam Airlines: Cathay Pacific codeshares with Vietnam Airlines on all flights between Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.

Future destinations
Cathay Pacific is expanding its worldwide operations from Hong Kong by increasing the frequency of flights on existing routes. In addition, Cathay Pacific will in the near future start or resume services to destinations that it does not currently serve from its Hong Kong hub.

Possible new services from Hong Kong:
Chicago, Illinois, United States (via Vancouver, Canada) (Chicago O'Hare International Airport)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Dallas, United States (Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport)
Munich, Germany (Munich International Airport)
Shanghai, People's Republic of China
Possible new transatlantic service from London Heathrow to
New York, United States
Possible resumed services from Hong Kong:
Zurich, Switzerland (Zurich International Airport)

Flight Numbers
Generally, flight numbers are allocated according to geographical regions:

CX001-CX099: Cathay Pacific Cargo flights
CX100-CX199: Oceania-bound destinations
CX200-CX299: Europe-bound destinations
CX300-CX399: China-bound destinations
CX400-CX499: Taiwan and Korea-bound destinations
CX500-CX599: Japan-bound destinations
CX600-CX699: unutilized
CX700-CX799: Southeast Asia, South Asia, Middle East and Africa-bound destinations
CX800-CX899: North America-bound destinations
of which CX8?8/8?9 are always flights to/from Canada
CX1??? series: code-share flights operated by other airlines from/to Hong Kong, except
CX12?? series: British domestic codeshares operated by British Airways
CX2??? series: Charter flights
CX7??? series: North America codeshares operated by American Airlines
CX9??? series: Europe codeshares operated by British Airways, Iberia, SNCF or Aeroflot

Fleet
Cathay Pacific's aircraft fleet of 95 planes is fitted with 3 classes of service (First, Business, and Economy) for long-haul flights, and 2 classes of service (Regional Business and Economy) for short-haul flights.

Current fleet by aircraft size
(as of 1 December 2005) Aircraft In Operation
(on order) Seat Configuration Notes
Airbus A330-300 (330) 21 (3) J44/Y267(311) With new Regional Business Class on some aircraft
Airbus A330-300 (333) 5 P8/J32/Y211(251) With new Long Haul Business Class
Airbus A340-300 (34C) 5 P8/J30/Y205(243) With new Long Haul Business Class
Airbus A340-300 (34D) 10 J30/Y257(287) With new Long Haul Business Class
Airbus A340-600 (346) 3 P8/J60/Y218(286) With new Long Haul Business Class and Enhanced Economy Class
Boeing 747-200F 7 -
Boeing 747-400 (744) 18 (1) P12/J47/Y324(383) With new Long Haul Business Class
Boeing 747-400 Premium (74J) 4 P12/J65/Y268(345) With new Long Haul Business Class
Boeing 747-400F/BCF 6 (6) -
Boeing 777-200 (777) 5 J45/Y291(336)
Boeing 777-300 (773) 11 (1) J59/Y326(385) With new Regional Business Class on some aircraft
Boeing 777-300ER (77W) 0 (16) N/A With new Long Haul Business Class

On July 29 2005, Cathay Pacific took delivery of its 95th aircraft, an Airbus A330-300 aircraft, which is equipped with new-generation entertainment system. Cathay Pacific has 3 more Airbus A330-300s on firm order, and a new Boeing 777-300, and will also be adding to its fleet 5 used Boeing 747-400s. By September 2006, Cathay's 60th Anniversary, its fleet size will reach 100 aircraft.

On December 1 2005, Cathay Pacific announced one of its biggest aircraft order in its history, ordering 16 Boeing 777-300ER aircraft (12 from Boeing and 4 on lease from ILFC to be delivered between September 2007 and July 2010, plus an option of 20 more of the type. It also orders 3 more Airbus A330-300 from Airbus the same day, with the delivery of the aircraft in 2008.

Historic Fleet

Since its foundation in 1946, Cathay Pacific had operated many fleet types. Types of aircraft that had been in service with Cathay Pacific are Douglas DC-3, Douglas DC-4, Douglas DC-6, Convair 880, Boeing 707-320, Boeing 747-200, Boeing 747-300, Airbus A340-200 (leased from Philippine Airlines for 3 years before delivery of A340-300) and Lockheed L-1011-100 (Tristar). In the late 1980s and early 1990s, Cathay Pacific was the largest operator of Lockheed Tristar outside USA.

Loyalty programmes
Cathay Pacific has 2 programmes, the first being The Marco Polo Club ("The Club") and Asia Miles. The Marco Polo Club, for the one-time administration fee of $50 USD (waived for Citibank Cathay Pacific credit cardholders), allows members exclusive benefits tailored especially for them. Asia Miles is a separate travel reward programme that comprises a variety of airlines and hotel partners in Asia, as well as credit / charge card companies, car rental agencies, telecommunication companies and other non-airline partners. Members of The Club are automatically enrolled as Asia Miles members.

If you need CX Gouge, please leave your hotmail!
Hope these help! Good luck all!

somerandom
20th Nov 2007, 04:28
A more uptodate fleet information can be obtained at Wikipedia or Airfleets.net

leroyyau
20th Nov 2007, 05:01
Applied in August. 1st time applicant.
HK per residence.
Working in Philadelphia Int'l Airport, USA

Going back home on Nov 27.
See you guys on Nov 28.:)

Uncomfirmed information from HR insider: cut off age 23.
I am 22 already...

holdmetight
20th Nov 2007, 05:42
23 cut off age?

i thought 23 was the cadet AVERAGE age! :rolleyes:

MidgetBoy
20th Nov 2007, 06:10
Cut off age isn't even 30. My friend got an interview and he's quite a bit past 30.

benedictz
21st Nov 2007, 04:56
i m 26 ... don't worry about that... i heard even got 32 got into it...

MidgetBoy
23rd Nov 2007, 03:09
Well, I'm flying to HK tomorrow. Good luck everyone. Cya there!

cheungy2002
23rd Nov 2007, 16:11
i have my interview and inital tests on the 28th, im only 18 i feel so young and insignificant! so people are meeting up on the 27th? can some one fill me in?

holdmetight
26th Nov 2007, 00:01
guys -

speaking of the get-together, i suppose it is now better for us to meet before our stage 2s. details will be posted up later

good luck :ok:

benedictz
26th Nov 2007, 05:38
that is a pretty good idea... since there is nothing much we can prepare for initial test, might as well concentrate on cathay pacific international races... haha...

let meet for stage 2 discussion, if anyone gets to there....

count me in ...

somerandom
26th Nov 2007, 08:12
are you guys having your interview and initial test on the same day?

benedictz
26th Nov 2007, 15:19
different dates

initial : wednesday

stage 1: thursday or friday (only if we get there)

faf2007
27th Nov 2007, 06:54
hi all

are there shuttle buses from airport to the cathay city training centre?

can anyone advise if the easiest route is via mtr or airport express and then cab to scenic road?

thanks
and good luck !!!

somerandom
27th Nov 2007, 07:46
there is a bus at the main bus-stop. R64 I think basically walk out of the mtr station and walk towards the the bus terminal and then it is immediately left of the entrance. Stops opposite CX City

somerandom
27th Nov 2007, 09:23
does anyone know their stage 2 interview date yet?

faf2007
27th Nov 2007, 10:22
im supposing its the tung chung mtr stop ? sorry not very familiar with the mtr routes.
Hopefully there is a subway to cross over to cx city ?!

thanks

somerandom
27th Nov 2007, 12:03
yes tung chung station. There is no subway but there is a bridge....

holdmetight
27th Nov 2007, 12:25
S64 is available from the bus terminal next to Tung Chung MTR station, but allocate more time to wait for the bus.

bjbb
28th Nov 2007, 02:20
i have been accepted for the cadet program and am due to start in may 08 at parafield. I would just worry about getting past each interview beofre you think about the next! if you ask i hear that there is a fast track thing that if you succeed round 1 your interveiws are effectively compressed (provided you pass all the interviews etc) Might help with accomodation etc..

best of luck

hk380
28th Nov 2007, 03:25
bjbb: may I ask when did you apply? how many of you are going to the course at May 08?

somerandom
28th Nov 2007, 04:00
how come you are starting so late?

sgsslok
28th Nov 2007, 09:51
So far, 3 people have been offered the cadetship on CP29. Various reasons makes the cadets unable to start in 2007 so they have been deferred to the first course in 2008.

bjbb-
Good to see you on here again! Hope all is well! We shall meet next year some time! :D

hk380
29th Nov 2007, 11:41
Got a call from CX yestarday for stage 2 interview, anyone got a call?

MidgetBoy
30th Nov 2007, 05:44
I just had my first interview.. I have no clue how I did... was really nervous..

faf2007
30th Nov 2007, 09:57
gave my interview today ....

they said they wud call in a week ...

got a call in 3 hours ... yahoo

anyone else going for stage 2 on 17 dec ?

MidgetBoy
30th Nov 2007, 11:27
i'm stage 2 on dec 12th.. just got my call some hours ago too =D

VinnieC
30th Nov 2007, 17:42
Very nice guys. :ok:

Anyone got an estimate for how many ppl were interviewed for stage 1?

hk380
1st Dec 2007, 07:11
Any one interested on study group for stage 2(any dates), pls PM me with contact details

holdmetight
1st Dec 2007, 08:15
haven't heard anything about Stage 2 from cathay yet... getting worried!

adamk
1st Dec 2007, 09:57
really sweet on people getting stage 2..

for those that have done stage 1,

can you to tell us what were asked, and what happened in the process??

holdmetight
1st Dec 2007, 10:20
well they start off by outlining the interview rundown. they told me specifically that this interview was going to focus on HR questions and technical subjects would be avoided... then they started off by asking me about my degree - what my degree is about, my choice to study in australia etc. their questions will be based according to what you put on your CV and application, so be sure to take a close look at it before you go.

they then asked me particularly about my math grades, because my math grades are not pretty. i had to do some explaining and attention diverting but that was nothing serious.

then they asked me what planes cadets fly in ADL, what licenses do cadets graduate with, what is the role of an S/O in cathay... but they did not ask the "conventional" questions of identifying the aircraft on the tarmac or on the photo on the wall. i was also asked about how i prepared for the CPP selection process.

finally the interview wrapped up with a few questions of my own, the entire duration was around 25 minutes.

a few tips for future Stage 1 applicants:

1. the interviewers will keep straight faces and occasionally cast unfriendly looks towards you. don't let this put you off, keep cool and focus on answering them the best you can.

2. the interview is very background specific so there are no "must-ask" questions... it all depends on what you've done before. just keep cool, be yourself and answer TRUTHFULLY.

3. keep concentrating on the interview. the room has a huge window facing the south runway and the view of aircraft taking off is simply spectacular... so it is very tempting to look outside while you're supposed to be talking to the interviewers.

basically this interview is to let them get to know you, and for you to convince them that you're serious about applying for the CPP and becoming an airline pilot. you should be fine after that, although it should seem ironic i should say that, since i haven't received any word from them yet!

good luck to all of you out there!! :ok:

sgsslok
1st Dec 2007, 10:23
Don't worry for now... No news is good news.

faf2007
2nd Dec 2007, 06:07
i agree with holdmetight on interview being "your resume specific"

but i was grinded with questions like
tell us the difference between 777-300 & 300er
range/fuel loading/payload/sweepback etc ...

there are no questions outside your circle of knowledge- everything they think you should know based on what you have told them in your resume...

good luck to all for stage 2

im up for stage 2 gathering .... the group excercise will become relaxed if we all meet up before & get to know each other a bit,

:)

kuzukuzu
3rd Dec 2007, 08:07
Received a call and email for the Second Stage Interview on the 18th. I'll most likely return to Hong Kong by the 15th. I realise this is in the latter period, but I'd like to have a meet in preparation for the group exercise if anyone is interested... ? :)

Stage 1 Interview is basically to ascertain that the person is keen. I think that the technical questions are posed according to the person's flying experience. From what I gather though, the "generic" technical questions were nothing further than differentiating between aircraft, the forces of flight, CX destinations and stuff about FTA (aircraft etc.).

Other points of discussion include current work/tertiary education, interests, Hong Kong, past experiences/hypothetical scenarios and how you react(ed) to them, personality etc.

hk380
3rd Dec 2007, 12:10
Hi all:
Study group is good, if interested, pls PM your contact details to me and I gather a group.
Pls include your interview date too

holdmetight
6th Dec 2007, 08:58
got the call today, Stage 2 on 17th December.

woohoo!:)

mr.snowy
6th Dec 2007, 12:53
hey guys i'm sure most of you know but if u are interested in meeting up there is another thread going already about it

PS: what extra study is everyone else doing?? i know that book is fairly basic but it does cover most things anyone got ideas??

holdmetight
7th Dec 2007, 14:55
hi mr. snowy

it is because the book is basic that extra study is needed. the technical component of the panel interview will comprise questions on the topics mentioned in the book, but the depth of the knowledge required to answer those questions will be deeper than what the book provides. this is to see if applicants have the passion and initiative to do their own study and research.

i have also heard that the Job Knowledge Test will have questions that are on materials not mentioned in their booklet. these questions fall into two categories, namely CX company info (such as specific numbers of each fleet) and harder technical questions based on topics mentioned in the booklet.

aviation knowledge is literally limitless and it's fair to say that you won't be able to study to much of a technical proficiency in such a limited time frame. but the good thing is, you are allowed to tell them that you don't know the answer to a question, because for cadet selections the attitude matters more than the actual knowledge you have. so don't sweat if you feel you don't know enough; if you've done your homework and looked outside their booklet, they will know.

hope that helps.:)

good luck, and happy studying to all my fellow Stage 2 candidates. keep going!:D

holdmetight
8th Dec 2007, 09:03
who's doing Stage 2 on 17 december?

Noskcid
13th Dec 2007, 10:47
Hi Guys,

I was supposed to be in the november round also but had to postpone due to university commitments, they have contacted me to attend the feb round. I was just wondering what people found and if theres any tips anyone might have?

thanks

Johnny1981
15th Dec 2007, 01:13
Has anyone heard the outcome of stage 2 from this week? I know a couple of people who are booked in for the medical on Monday the 17th who attended earlier this week. Has anyone from Wednesday Thursday found out?

MidgetBoy
15th Dec 2007, 05:00
they might not do any calls on the weekend..
Johnny as in.. the john on wednesday? you didn't get a call either yet?
I'm the 19 yr old kid there =P i messed up the first tech question..

just googled leicaster.. yeah thats you =P.. england.. hah.. hope we get through.. you and jesse dominated the group exercise.. barely got a word through.. I think i did better and talked a lot more during the flight planning exercise.. i think i did okay in the interview too.. though they might have got the wrong impression thinking that I was rich enough to afford to finish my flight training at my dad's flight school..

GeorginaSanderson
15th Dec 2007, 09:34
hi guys,

i had my initial testing on 25 October and have been called for another interview next week. been reading through all these threads and am getting a bit worried as people are talking about a book they are studying for stage 2 interviews. whilst they didn't say what "stage" my interview next week is, i guess its "stage 1 interview" as they mentioned its with 2 HR people? (and i saw someone mentioned here they had initial testing and stage 1 interview on separate days)
anyway i'd really appreciate if you guys who did it in november could perhaps give me some tips of how it went? although ive been talking to some pilots with cathay this week, i guess you're the most recent to go through this stage so would appreciate any advice you can give!
also if theres anyone else at there who's doing theirs next week as well, let me know!
:) thanks

holdmetight
15th Dec 2007, 10:02
stage 1 interview really is a piece of cake. it's not exactly an interview, it's more like a chat to let them get to know you. questions they will ask depend on what you wrote on your CV and anything of their interest. in other words, they want to get a clear picture on your background. don't worry, they will put you at ease and you should be able to relax. if you are serious about getting admitted into CPP, you should have no problem with this stage.

when you get invited to stage 2, they will call you and tell you that they want to send you a book. it's a grubby, well-worn A4 sized booklet around 5x pages, all basic PPL level stuff. you are supposed to study this booklet for their Job Knowledge Quiz and panel interview.

good luck! keep us updated:)

GeorginaSanderson
15th Dec 2007, 10:06
excellent, thanks for your reply holdmetight

i am really serious about this and really really want to get through, so im pretty nervous but so so excited at the same time!

good luck for yours next week!! keep us posted how it goes and what happens next!

MidgetBoy
16th Dec 2007, 06:31
whats a CV?

adamk
16th Dec 2007, 09:18
it stands for curriculum vitae. its just pretty much your CV

theshat
18th Dec 2007, 11:53
whats a CV?

what the brits call a "CV" is what the rest of the world refers to as a "resume"

god save the queen

theshat
18th Dec 2007, 12:01
I would also like to dedicate this song to those who didnt quite make it, but worked oh so hard, and truly deserve a pat on the back...theres always dragonair....

you know who you are.........

She packed my bags........... last night pre-flight!
Zero hour............. nine a.m.
And I’m gonna be........................ hiiiiiigh.............. as a kite by then
I miss the earth so much.................... I miss my wife
It’s lonely! ................out in space
On such a............... timeless ....flight

And I think it’s gonna be... a long long time
Till touch down..... brings me round again to find I'm....
not the man they think I am at home
Oh! no no no....... I’m a rocket man!
Rocket man............ burning out his fuse up here alone.............

Mars ain’t!.... the kind of place to raise your kid....
In fact it’s cold as hell.....
And there’s....... no one there to raise them! ......if you did
And all thisssssss science!.... I don’t understand....
It’s just my job........ five days a week
A rocket! ....a rocket, man!

And I think it’s gonna be... a long long time...
Till touch down brings me round again to find.....
I’m not the man!.... they think I am at home...
Oh no ....no no!!! I’m a rocket man.....
Rocket man.... burning out his fuse up here ....alone!

And I think it’s gonna be a long long time,
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I’m not the MAN they think I am at home
Ohhhh no.. no... no... I’m a ROCK-IT-MAN!!!
Rocket man!!! burning out his fuse out here alone...

And I think it’s gonna be.... a lonng lonng time!!
And I think it’s gonna be.... a lonnnnng long time!!
And I think it’s gonna be.... a lonnnng lonnng time!!
And I think it’s gonna be.... a lonnnnng lonnnnnng time!!
And I think it’s gonna be.... a lonng lonng time.......

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cavallier
18th Dec 2007, 15:08
Good luck on Thursday Georgie! Will be keeping my fingers crossed.

The Cav:cool:

MidgetBoy
19th Dec 2007, 01:00
I just got my email saying I didn't make it through. I'm guessing it must have been the question "Would you work for Air China if you were offered a job?" I said yes because 3 seconds earlier they asked me, what would you do if Cx NEVER EVER EVER hires you?

For obvious reasons, if my airline of choice says they'd never hire me, I'm not going to quit and give up on being an airline pilot.

Swush
19th Dec 2007, 01:59
Bad luck Midgetboy :( How long did it take for them to send a rejection email?
I'm waiting anxiously by the phone after I answered a few questions badly in stage 1. :ugh:

Flying Fat Angelo
19th Dec 2007, 03:35
thanks cavalier
maybe ill see you in a girly bar in wanchai for some tension release tomorrow evening!!

Johnny1981
19th Dec 2007, 04:48
Received the e-mail and didn't pass stage 2 so really gutted.......on the other side plan B is in place so I start training in March 2008. Once I have the hours I will apply again as a direct entry pilot.

Just have to put the positive hat on and if you really want to be a pilot you wont let something like this stop you.

by the way 3 in our group haven't got through the 4th one I'm not sure about.......

:ok:

MidgetBoy
20th Dec 2007, 02:27
It took just under a week to get an email.. of those 3 Johnny, who was the 3rd? Jan?

sgsslok
20th Dec 2007, 05:47
Johnny1981, MidgetBoy-

I'm sorry to hear the news. I hope you are coping with it alright.

I just wanna mention the fact that CX don't usually reject an applicant because he/she answered one question incorrectly. (Not for CPP anyways. They do for Direct-Entries, depending on the question.)

Stage 2 was an all day event, and every part contributes to the final decision that they make. May be you barely spoke in the group exercise? Didn't answer truthfully on the personality test? Screw up the calculations in the Math test and/or the flight planning exercise?

Unfortunately, they usually won't tell you what was(were) your inadequate performance(s). It's up to you to figure it out and possibly try again in a few years!

If this is your first attempt, then you don't necessarily need to get all the licenses and hours to apply for Direct Entry.

CX usually give an applicant 2 attempts at the CPP (unless you really screwed it up), and all you need to do is to show that you have improved.

In fact, about half of the current cadets in Adelaide are re-applicants.

Getting a PPL or may be a CPL would certain prove that you have the dedication for this industry, but there are also improvements you can do without spending a large sum of money to get flight licenses.

In fact, having flight licenses will dramatically increase the difficulty of your technical interview due to your aviation experience. There are people who don't make it through even with licenses and a bunch of hours.

So as I said earlier, think about the things that you thought you could have done better, and try to improve on it and try it again.

Good luck to you all.

Johnny1981
20th Dec 2007, 07:37
Thanks for the reply.....

I'm coping alright with it now as I always had a plan B in place so I know exactly what I'm doing now. I've been applying to schemes since summer 2006 and have been offered places for Oxford Aviation Training, CTC icpWings and Flight Training Europe. So I don't want to wait around for a possible 2nd chance with the Cadet scheme when I can get cracking with the training and hopefully get a job flying A319 / B737's in Europe to build my hours up at the end. Once I have the hrs I will look at applying as a DEFO. I start with FTE in March 2008.

I'm 27 in Feb 2008 and have finished uni and have been working for the past 5years so I'm ready to start training..... I can't wait any longer.

Regarding stage 2 I feel it was the maths that let me down plus a couple of maths questions and tech questions in the tech interview. The group exercise, tech quiz, flight planning were ok.

Midgetboy - Jessie was the other one.

Thanks again :ok:

Flying Fat Angelo
20th Dec 2007, 08:39
heya swush i know how you feel
just did my stage 1 interview this morning. tell you what, thought it was going great for a while, but not a good feeling now... !!
let us know how you get on and when you hear back.
good luck!!

capt_einz111
20th Dec 2007, 10:22
OAT, CTC Wings or FTE Jerez is certainly a good choice, with a bit of luck you will get your command of a A320 at the same time the CX-cadet get the JFO upgrade ;)

Also, they probably won't "disqualify" someone on one single question. There are no wrong answers. And it's always a combination of factors.

Dub-U!
20th Dec 2007, 11:43
What type of questions were they asking on the tech portion of the interviews?

holdmetight
20th Dec 2007, 12:14
1. identify a 1:200 model of a CX aircraft. in my case, it was an A330-300, and i also had to explain how i came to my conclusion.

2. the interviewer pointed to the A330 model and asked me to identify what high-lift-producing devices were on the wing, where they were and their working principle. i was also asked when such devices would be used, apart from take-offs and landings.

3. i had to identify another model aircraft on the desk, in my case it was the BE76.

4. i was asked why the BE76 does not have a swept wing, as opposed to the A330.

5. identify the primary control surfaces on the BE76.

6. the ailerons on the BE76 were movable, so he asked me to position them as they would be if the aircraft was making a left turn.

then we used the whiteboard from then on...

7. he drew a globe and asked me to identify and draw the two axis going through the earth. after that, i was asked to draw the equator, lines of longitudes and latitudes. i also had to explain what a great circle was.

8. he gave a true heading, and gave variation, and asked me to calculate the magnetic heading.

9. he drew the cross section of a wing and asked me how lift was produced. i also had to draw and explain AOA, movements of the C of P as the AOA increases.

10. draw the inside of an altimeter and explain its workings.

11. he drew a Cu cloud with altitude indications, then asked me to calculate the temperature at the top of the cloud.

12. name the ISA temperature, density, pressure... then he asked what is the temperature at the tropopause, and ISA lapse rate

13. he drew a front and asked me what front it was, according to the shape. then he asked me to identify the clouds associated with the front, according to the order in which they would be encountered by a pilot flying into the front.

14. what is the distance of the equator

holdmetight
20th Dec 2007, 12:38
i have no licenses, and have only 2 hours' flying experience.

those questions are mostly PPL level, but the swept-wing concept is primarily introduced in ATPL studies. anyway, the most important thing is that over 90% of the questions came from the book they gave.

for those who have no/little flying experience, just know the book they gave you, inside out. do a little extra research and you should be fine.

anyway, IMHO the hard part isn't (just) the panel interview......

Dub-U!
20th Dec 2007, 13:10
Thanks for your post - informative!

Which part of the interviews did you find the most challenging?

MidgetBoy
21st Dec 2007, 06:34
I didn't find the interview too hard either, it was just my 2nd interview ever (First one was on the first interview for Cx)..
What I was most scared about was the personality test, I was really indecisive.. some of the questions had such a large grey area

kuzukuzu
22nd Dec 2007, 04:58
Can someone please advise whether the 24th and 26th are public holidays in HK? Just wondering in terms of whether the CX recruitment centre will be active on these days...

holdmetight
22nd Dec 2007, 05:11
kuzukuzu,

the 24th is not a public holiday in HK, but the 26th is.

no news = good news. be patient! :)

homonster
22nd Dec 2007, 05:51
i am glad to see how everyone is going on from the creator of this thread point of view.
i missed the november round of interview due to university commitments and have been placed in the round during feb.
just want to know if anyone from here is goin to it?

anywayz good luck to those whos still got a way to go and dont give up for those who didnt succeed.

faf2007
22nd Dec 2007, 11:25
Did anyone who interviewd stage 2 on 17 december , find out yet?

holdmetight
22nd Dec 2007, 12:26
Did anyone who interviewd stage 2 on 17 december , find out yet?

i haven't heard anything yet

MidgetBoy
23rd Dec 2007, 17:19
last time I got emailed exactly 1 week after my interview ended...

hk380
24th Dec 2007, 10:36
Merry Christmas everyone:
Pls post a reply when you got any news (either Good or Bad) and the date of your interview. M
Many Thanks

holdmetight
25th Dec 2007, 04:37
what a gut-wrenching christmas... it's been more than a week since i did Stage 2 and there hasn't been any news as of yet.

anyway, merry christmas to all. hope you can all get the call for the next stage!:ok:

faf2007
26th Dec 2007, 08:46
merry christmas all

no news is good news....well i think

Flying Fat Angelo
27th Dec 2007, 01:00
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

well, no news IS definitely good news.

had my 1st interview 21 December and got my rejection letter today! :ugh: :(

disappointed but ill be back next year to annoy the guys and gals at old crew recruitment again!!

good luck to those waiting to hear!

holdmetight
27th Dec 2007, 08:11
got the rejection email... sigh.:ugh::(:(:(

good luck to those who are going to the next round!! :)

sugizo20
27th Dec 2007, 17:10
i'm apply for cpp this year, taking the initial test later. after seeing many failures, actually it turns me down. I hv no any flying experience, while many ppl here who are experienced even cant pass it.

does anyone pass stage two?

holdmetight
28th Dec 2007, 00:04
sugizo20,

don't be deterred and frightened by failure. unfortunately the majority of applicants get turned down but that is all for the good of everyone concerned. if you cannot perform to a good standard under the pressure and stress of the selection process, how can they/you be sure you can perform well under cadet training? or in a stressful situation in the giant pressurized metal tubes you will be flying?

as you may know whether you succeed or not has no direct relationship with how much flying experience you have.

i can tell you that failure is not exactly a bad thing; i don't feel too bad about it myself. i must admit it is a bit disappointing but don't be afraid of that - because it is a precious experience in itself and gives a good indicator at your weaknesses, so you can become a better pilot in the future.

i would advise you to give it your best shot, and enjoy the process! good luck!:ok:

sugizo20
28th Dec 2007, 06:01
holdmetight:

Thank you. I know what you mean definitely. I will try my best and make it true.

osupilot2008
28th Dec 2007, 06:08
I did my stage 2 on Dec 12, and did the medical exam and pilot language assessment on Dec 24. But still heard nothing from Cathay. Does Cathay give away email if u failed?

holdmetight
28th Dec 2007, 07:23
yes, cathay gives email to those who fail. FYI i heard that Stage 3 is around 14th january, so that leaves plenty of time before they call you. don't worry too much!

mind sharing your experience of the medical and language assessment? i haven't been given the chance to try that out :)

osupilot2008
28th Dec 2007, 07:55
Where did u hear that the stage 3 is around jan 14th? That sucks for me cause Im leaving HK on Jan 7th. Anyway, still haven't found out if I got into stage 3 or not.

Medical exam includes exams for your eyes, ears, blood test, urine test, cheat X-ray, and a thorough body check by a doctor. Really just to see if you are physically fitted to become a pilot.

The pilot language assessment is about your speaking, listening, and understanding of English. It consists of different tasks which together last for about 30 mins. It will be something very similar to the questions in TOEFL: Listening to a conversation and answer the questions about the conversation you just heard. One thing about the recordings is that those recordings have accent from different counties. That's something u should pay attention on.

waterfrog
28th Dec 2007, 12:05
Hi everybody, I did my second stage interview in mid-Dec as well. Afterwards, I was asked to see a ophthalmologist to fill in a CAD ophthalmology examination report (maybe because I stated that I was short-sighted in my medical in confidence form). Looking at the interview materials here, it does not seem to be a standard practice, anybody any idea what does it show? Is it that all people with short sight are asked to do that? I thought this test would be conducted by CX during their medical test.

btw, I heard a friend who attended the same mid-Dec. second round interview has received rejection e-mail already.

MidgetBoy
29th Dec 2007, 03:21
About reapplying, does that mean we can reapply for next year november's interview session? Or we have to apply after we got rejected meaning we'd start our interviews in 2009.
I asked Cx about this but didn't get a reply yet

kuzukuzu
29th Dec 2007, 03:52
Someone mentioned to me that the one year wait is reset according to your last date of application. In other words, if you reapply within the one year waiting period then you will be required to wait a further year from the date of subsequent rejection. I cannot confirm this however, so don't hold me to it.

holdmetight
29th Dec 2007, 04:21
you can reapply one year after the date written on your rejection email. in my case, it is 27th December 2007, so i can apply on or after 28th December 2008, and yes, the interviews will be held in 2009.

kuzukuzu
29th Dec 2007, 04:46
Such a long time... :uhoh:

sgsslok
29th Dec 2007, 06:53
Reapplying as soon as possible might not be the best option.

Instead, I would suggest that you take your time and find out what are your weaknesses and improve yourself.

Improve yourself to a point where you have the best improvement you could have done before reapplying again. Rushing into reapplication while not being ready is possibly one of the biggest mistake you could make.

Quite a few of the current cadets are re-applicants. Most, if not all of them, spent at least 2 years after their first application to improve themselves and prepare for the interviews before reapplying again.

Only do it when you are ready to, not when they say you could.

waterfrog
1st Jan 2008, 06:17
holdmight,
what is the language examination? not all applicants need to take this?

holdmetight
1st Jan 2008, 10:42
hey waterfrog,

i suppose the language examination you refer to is the ICAO English test. to quote osupilot2008 who has written about his experience,

The pilot language assessment is about your speaking, listening, and understanding of English. It consists of different tasks which together last for about 30 mins. It will be something very similar to the questions in TOEFL: Listening to a conversation and answer the questions about the conversation you just heard. One thing about the recordings is that those recordings have accent from different counties. That's something u should pay attention on.

obviously it is used to assess whether a candidate has the ability to use (aviation) english to an acceptable level. i have heard that the results you get from this test are used to assess whether any "follow-up actions" are needed; meaning that if your score is mediocre, you must re-take the test at a future date. if you score high enough, you are exempted from this test for life.

every CX cadet pilot applicant must take this test before Stage 3 assessment, along with the aircrew medical. KA cadets take the test after they return to HKG after training in ADL.

energie
1st Jan 2008, 19:22
actually the language test has nothing to do with cadets application.

it is part of the requirement to obtain a HK ATPL/CPL license. CX just makes you do it all together since it doesn't take too much time to save themselves from having to schedule it later on

sgsslok
1st Jan 2008, 21:08
Starting from March this year, all pilots involved in international operations are required to achieve a minimum of level 4 on the ICAO English test. Since all operations by CX are international ops, the test must be done.

For more info, please refer to http://www.icao.int/icao/en/trivia/peltrgFAQ.htm
(http://www.icao.int/icao/en/trivia/peltrgFAQ.htm)

Anyway, Mr. Energie, it's a pleasant surprise to see you on here again!

energie
1st Jan 2008, 21:11
brother lok: i have always been on here :)

osupilot2008
2nd Jan 2008, 09:05
Got stage 3 interview coming up. Does anyone know any details about the interview? How should I prepare for it? I appreciate any information!

pilota
4th Jan 2008, 02:48
Just got informed for Stage 3.

But I didn't have any medical check before. Seems different from all you guys. Do you know why?

kestrelcadet
6th Jan 2008, 12:00
Does anyone have any clue when is the next round of 1st interview?

whoa
6th Jan 2008, 19:53
I have first round interviews on Feb 20.

L..
8th Jan 2008, 06:07
I have completed the initial tests for more than a month but still hear nth from Cathay..........
I have sent them an email asking for the time of the stage 1 interview, but they just replied me as "We are still holding your application..."

What does it mean? :bored:

TriP11
9th Jan 2008, 09:13
Have got my first round on the 19th Feb, coming in from NZ for it.

Swush
9th Jan 2008, 09:14
Took them 6 1/2 weeks to get back to me, so sit tight matey ;)

whoa
10th Jan 2008, 18:05
The first round interviews are split into tests on one day, and the actual interview on another day. Does anyone know what the dress is for the tests (ie aptitude, english, reasoning, etc)?

Dub-U!
10th Jan 2008, 20:07
Wear a suit.

homonster
11th Jan 2008, 21:54
anoyone here up for the 19th Feb initial screening?

VinnieC
19th Jan 2008, 17:12
I submitted my application yesterday. It said cx will give me a reply within 8 weeks.

I don't think I can make the Feb screening. If someone out here knows when's the next screening after Feb, please let me know.

By the way, how's stage 3 going for the current interviewees?

MidgetBoy
19th Jan 2008, 21:01
I hear on your second time you don't have to retake the initial testing, is that true? And with that said, what about the exams you take on stage 2 interview date?

kestrelcadet
20th Jan 2008, 10:39
i'm in for the Stage 1 screening on 20th Feb.

Any idea what type of math test in the aptitude test? Is it just the quick subtraction for Stage 1?

holdmetight
21st Jan 2008, 10:25
the only "math" you encounter in Stage 1 is the quick subtraction test.

Matt_777
22nd Jan 2008, 07:26
Well yeah if you do it the 2nd time then you'll start almost from where you were rejected...

I was rejected in the final, then next year went direct to 2nd panel interview and a job knowledge test, that's it.

101st Airbirne
25th Jan 2008, 00:09
Brother Sgsslok:

Do you mind telling me more about Cathay Pacific Advance Flight grading?
Thank you very much

sgsslok
25th Jan 2008, 07:42
All the info could be found on this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=307522

xXmuffin0manXx
25th Jan 2008, 22:40
it says on the site that the cadet program is only for hong kong
residents so why are all these other people applying..?
is there something i missed out on cx site?
any help would be appreciated

Tahir
30th Jan 2008, 17:56
Hi everyone,
I m a Pakistani.Can i also apply for Cadet position in CX?

MidgetBoy
31st Jan 2008, 01:33
To my knowledge, all that's required is a Hong Kong Identification Card.

sgsslok
31st Jan 2008, 01:34
xXmuffin0manXx, Tahir-

You need to have Hong Kong residency to be able to apply for CX CPP.

If you're wondering why all those people are coming from different parts of the world for the cadet interviews, the reason are probably because they were born in HK or their parents were originally from HK, which gives them HK residency.

Whether if you qualify to become a HK resident is another question. The bottom line is, as long as you can obtain HK residency, you could apply for CX CPP after you obtain the right to reside.

Tahir
31st Jan 2008, 12:07
Thanks bro for very kind info.

L..
3rd Feb 2008, 18:19
The Cathay HR has called me for the stage 2 interview.
I know that we have to do a flight plan during the assessment.

Would anyone provide resources on how to do a flight plan??

I have searched for long but still can't get a website or book mentioning about it.

Thank you!

MidgetBoy
4th Feb 2008, 00:36
I'm pretty sure the flight plan you're referring to should be the same one I did there unless you're not actually going for a cadet interview. Don't freak out about it, it's mostly just a group exercise. You don't need to know how to make a flight plan, you'll be taught on the spot. Very straight forward, you'll do fine.

@Matt777, were you give the JK booklet ahead of time still? For example, if I'm flying from out of the country, would I have to be there a week a head of time to pick up the book, stay in a hotel/fly home for a week, then go back to write the exam and do the rest of the Stage 2 over again? Or would they send it to you through mail or email.

ipkiss
12th Feb 2008, 02:42
i will be there on the 19th of February for the initial test. I am from Canada. Just trying to read up on how to prepare.

mmhm
12th Feb 2008, 17:09
I sent my application on 12 Jan 2008, and I know that was a Chinese New Year hoiliday and busy time for the HR, but generally how long did you guys took to got something back from CX?

and is it usually a call? or like an email??

thanks~

MidgetBoy
13th Feb 2008, 10:01
They email, then you email confirmation if you're going to show up for the initial interview.
Then after that each time you pass that stage, they call you to confirm a time and date for the next stage.
If you miss a call, you probably get emailed.
If you fail a stage, well, sorry, but you get emailed.

vexXed
18th Feb 2008, 05:33
I applied mid December 07 and had to wait just over 6 weeks for a reply early February. They call at first, but I missed it and then they e-mail you asking to confirm the appointment date for the initial tests. Good luck!

kestrelcadet
22nd Feb 2008, 09:47
Hi, Can any graduates from CPP explain more about the following:

Where do the Second Officers fly to once they start flying? I believe it should be short haul to gain more flying hours and practice? Or does it depend on whether they are posted on A330/A340 or B747/B777?

Where is the S/O seated? I was always wandering where do they sit when modern jets (B777, A330/A340 & B747-400) do away with Flight Engineers.

What are the Second Officers roles, do they rotate with the F/O during the flight?

Cheers

Kestrel

Tomho85
24th Feb 2008, 08:06
Kestrel:

S/O will be on long haul, hope u know several intercontinental CX destinations....(Auckland, London, Vancouver...etc)
S/O will be on jumpseat, the seat behind captain and FO.
S/O are responsible for safety check on flight with captain and FO, also when the aircraft is in the air at cruising altitude, captains would leave the seat for his recess, by that time SO will go on the seat on the right handside and take control of the aircraft (accompanied by FO).

GOod luck..

otrendycar
5th Mar 2008, 19:28
hey, anyone know when is next screenning time?
btw anyone here submitted yours in Feb?

flying_foos
6th Mar 2008, 04:56
Just add the point what Tomho85 has said,

S/O are responsible for safety check on flight with captain and FO, also when the aircraft is in the air at cruising altitude, captains would leave the seat for his recess, by that time SO will go on the seat on the right handside and take control of the aircraft (accompanied by FO).

I have been asked at the stage 2 interview whether a second officer can take control of the aircraft or not during the cruise.

The answer is NO...and I confirmed with him at the last stage of the interview.

Second officer can seat into the right hand seat, but don't mean the SO can touch the control (unless it's in emergency or some situations like these - this I am not sure)...they just monitor the aircraft that's it

Patrick

flying_foos
6th Mar 2008, 04:58
Just one more thing,

if the pilot ask you what the SO do in CX...

You better to use the word, "cruise relief pilot"
this sounds a little bit professional lol....:}

Bassist
30th Nov 2008, 10:40
Any body got anything to share form thier 1st interview?, mine is up on the 8th of Dec. and I've found out only after 2 weeks!!!

kestrelcadet
30th Nov 2008, 11:47
Hi Benedict

You've already cleared stage 2 final interview? how was it?

flyer_spotter
3rd Dec 2008, 05:58
Hey, been reading this thread for a while.

Does anyone here plan to apply and have interviews this coming summer? I should be back in Hong Kong in mid-June, would be great to meet up somewhere to get ready together.:ok:

HEALY
3rd Dec 2008, 06:18
Flying Foos

Just to clarify and help with an earlier statement you can in some circumstances be the Pilot Flying. If you are with a Relief FO you will always be the Monitoring Pilot but you may end up flying with the Capt and in that case can be Pilot Flying. Even then its just turning the Heading bug as the AP will be engaged.
If at any stage an emergency occurs ie emergency descent the Capt will take control.

Cheers

wskwong
11th Dec 2008, 21:22
I've seen from other posts that some people do apply from overseas, and the selection process can take months. How does that work? This might sound rediculous, but do they pay for your air ticket and accomondation if you get selected for 1st/2nd/3rd interviews?

holdmetight
18th Dec 2008, 13:23
flubbachany,

rest assured the CX interviews and UNSW Aviation interviews are totally different things, in terms of types of questions asked, depth of questions asked, focus of questions, etc. i wouldn't recommend using your performance in the university interviews to gauge your potential performance in the CX interviews.

been there, done that.

there is a lot of excellent material on this particular thread, only if you are willing to click a few buttons and look at some older posts.

Jambe
19th Dec 2008, 12:16
Yeepi...... got invited to the initial test (although I can't make it on Jan, hopefully they have one in Feb!!) - do any body have examples of what they give you currently...... some example I found was from many years back so may have changed by now.

Good luck to those doing it in Jan 09.:ok:

Jambe
20th Dec 2008, 11:58
How does everyone prepare for the interviews.

any book/info/site/etc you would recommend?

urban1937
21st Dec 2008, 03:48
can anybody verify whether the recruitment process still going on? cos the post for cxccp is no longer listed on current opening jobs

kestrelcadet
29th Dec 2008, 07:00
Does anyone know if CX will delete the profile after re-applying after 1 year of being rejected And need to re-apply and fill in everything once again?

I tried to log-in CX website and it give the follow error message:
"Your profile does not exist. The password is case sensitive. Please ensure the information entered is correct."

heli_master
8th Jan 2009, 06:56
Is anyone going in for Stage 2 around 2x of Jan 2009??
Does anyone have info on how to prepare for the group discussion and computer tests?? ThX

ahmokachi
9th Jan 2009, 07:50
Hi helimaster, Im got a stage 2 interview on 2x jan 2009, I just drill hard on the notes....thats all i gonna do

Jambe
26th Jan 2009, 20:53
Can anyone tell me what other benefits does a fresher from Cadet/SO/FO at CX get apart from their base salary? Like health, flight discounts, gym, transport, 'pocket money' when you fly out etc etc.

The monthly wage for a fresh out from a cadet programme is around about the $30000 mark at the moment, right?