PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR Training in America

worldpilot
3rd Oct 2007, 18:06
I would appreciate any input as to where I could take the JAA IR training in the States. I want to avoid the approx. 12K-18000 Euro cost in Germany.:ugh:

!!! What does it take (cost and effort) to convert FAA IR to JAA IR?:eek:

WP

cessna310
3rd Oct 2007, 19:15
Hi,
I think u can not do outside JAA State. Try Aerodynamics, Malaga. They r good and cheap.
Regards,
cessna310

Mercenary Pilot
3rd Oct 2007, 20:27
Or do an FAA IR and convert it to JAA. :ok:

IRISHPILOT
3rd Oct 2007, 20:55
You sure can do the full JAR rating in the US! Only a British one you cannot. - Remember, this is a rating not a license, so your state of license issue does not matter.

There are Irish approved British CAA examiners in Florida (2 when I was there), who can do the Irish exam and then you can add it to any license, British or German.

I believe Lufthansa does the same in Arizona...

I went down doing an FAA IR, which turned out slightly cheaper after conversion and I do believe the FAA one is more thorough, but this is just my personal opinion.

Depending on where you live in Germany, you may want to check a few schools to the east of Germany, prices are generally lower and all the tests are in English.

Good luck! IP

BigGrecian
3rd Oct 2007, 21:23
do believe the FAA one is more thorough, but this is just my personal opinion.

That's the most comical quote I've ever heard with regard to Instrument ratings!
The FAA > JAA route is in 80% of situations NOT cheaper.

Having instructed in the US as a JAA instructor recently I am firmly under the impression JAA initial Instrument ratings can not be done outside JAA airspace. However, under special circumstances sometimes the IAA has tested initial IRs in the US. Any rating issued under this arrangement is a national dispensation and NOT a JAA one, and therefore does not have to be recognised by another JAA state. So you would be ill advised to take this method.

You can train for them in the US. I know one school which gives 25 hours single then 5 multi, before returning to the UK for the rest of the training. A lot more aircraft time than a course in the UK.

BillieBob
4th Oct 2007, 08:07
You sure can do the full JAR rating in the US! Only a British one you cannot.Not true. The Skill Test for a JAA IR must be completed in a JAA member state and, consequently, training providers will insist that a proportion of the course (usually the last 5-10 hours) is also completed in that member state. If the initial IR Skill Test is done in the US then the rating has not been completed in accordance with JAR-FCL 1 and it is unlikely that any JAA member state will accept it; the UK CAA certainly will not.

There is no such thing as a 'British' IR, nor has there been for a considerable number of years.

rbr919
5th Oct 2007, 15:42
You cannot do a JAR IR in USA, it has to be in a JAR state.
Spain is best as cheaper than UK.

If you want to go down the USA route. You will need to get a FAA PPL and then do a FAA IR.

Once back in a JAR state you can confirm it in line with that states minimum requirements. In the UK it is 15 hours training and the IR skill test.

This route is not always cheaper; Firstly you have to do a FAA PPL (If you have had your JAA PPL for more than 12months you can apply for a restricted FAA PPL) then there is about 55 hours for the FAA IR, plus the test and the test fee (not to mention the flights to the US and the initial check out at the flight school and accomodation). You will also have to purchase USA plates and maps.

You will find that when you come back to the UK the minimum of 15 hours is very tight, as you have to get used to flying in line with UK proceedures & standards. You may therefore need more hours. Don't forget another test fee etc

You need to work all the prices out if cost is your objective. You will be comparing UK only/Spain only/ USA then UK/Spain. I think that you will find that spain works out best.

Hope all that helps.

worldpilot
5th Oct 2007, 16:35
My appreciation for your thoughts. It looks like Spain is a good option. One quote I got was about 10K Euros for ME/IR training, which is really not too bad. But the training takes about 6 weeks to complete which is a timeframe that I can't afford at the moment. In Florida, I can complete that in about 10 days.

Has someone living in Germany converted FAA/IR to JAA/IR? If yes, please state the hurdles involved. That will be great. Thanks.

WP

BigGrecian
5th Oct 2007, 20:10
You cannot do a JAR IR in USA, it has to be in a JAR state.

Some training can be completed in the US just a minimum must be completed in JAA airspace, including the test.
Some schools offer 25 hours single and 5 hours multi then the rest in the UK. This does conform to JAA. 10 hours multi and sim in the UK.

Spain is best as cheaper than UK.

Spain is also a lot lower quality.
I.e Easier. The airlines and employers (even potential FI employers) know this.