PDA

View Full Version : eyesight problem ( stated by a KA pilot )

sunny_liverpool
3rd Oct 2007, 15:32
recently a dragonair pilot told me a person with more than 200 short-sight degrees has lower chance to get into cadet pilot programme, is that true?

he explained that his ka pilot friends are all below or around 100 degrees...and if the company can choose, why dont choose a person without glasses, as they can choose ten out of thousands, is that correct?

so, i have 500 short-sight degrees...is the only way is to do the Lasik(laser eye surgery)???

geh065
6th Oct 2007, 07:23
I don't believe that LASIK is approved by the CAD as a method to improve your eyesight. I would stay away from that.

WaldoPepper
6th Oct 2007, 11:06
sunny_liverpool,

I have had LASEK which is slightly different to LASIK but have had no troubles with the HKCAD. All I have to do is see the othalmologist in Central in addition to my normal HK medical.

Hopefully CAD will move up out of the dark ages (to join the rest of the world) and not worry about the extra checks they impose.

WP

sunny_liverpool
8th Oct 2007, 11:56
but some clincis provide poor medical service to their customers doing LASIK
the successful rate is high, say 99% though, there's still 1% for you to have the lifelong side-effect
1 year cooling period and double checked is necessary, i think

WaldoPepper
8th Oct 2007, 23:46
I'm not sure about the HKG clinics, I had mine done in Australia.

In answer to your PM:

LASEK is when they drop a chemical in your eye which loosens the top layer of cells on the cornea. They scrape this layer to the side of your eye. It looks like someone has put a piece of glad-wrap on your eye and scrape it to the side. The laser then does it's work, they move the layer back into position and it heals in a week or so.

LASIK is when they slice a layer of the cornea making a sort of flap. They peel the flap back and let the laser do it's thing. Put the flap back and you're right to go. LASIK heals faster (they say you can drive home from the procedure) but there can be complications in the healing process as there is an incision in your cornea.

Both procedures have their pros/cons, and it depends on what your problem is with your eyes (short/long sighted, astigmatism etc) as to which procedure is better suited.

WP

sunny_liverpool
9th Oct 2007, 02:53
have you ever go to their interview?

WaldoPepper
9th Oct 2007, 05:22
I don't understand the question? what interview?

WP

sunny_liverpool
9th Oct 2007, 08:34
o, sorry

i mean the cadet pilot programme

WaldoPepper
9th Oct 2007, 11:55
I'm not a cadet, I joined as a DESO a few years back.

In any case, they were well aware of the surgery I had completed (9 months previously) as I had to fill out the medical form prior to the first interview. It was and never has been mentioned since except for the extra medical part.

WP

sunny_liverpool
9th Oct 2007, 14:46
if you know, would you mind telling me how the airlines hire cadets?

since i have 500 short-sight degrees, do you suggest me to do Lasek?