PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP + Password

A2QFI
3rd Oct 2007, 06:17
Good Morning. Friend has protected her account on her computer with a password, to stop her children reading her files etc. She has used it successfully and written it down but now can't get in "Incorrect Password" etc. I have told her that she has either got to enter it correctly or the only option will be to reload Windows and lose everything she has on the computer. Is this broadly correct, please?

DogfighterF22
3rd Oct 2007, 08:17
I would say.

Boot into dos.

Copy her files to USB drive/External hard disk.

Then re-install windows.

Then copy the files back.

DF.

ORAC
3rd Oct 2007, 08:37
Login Recovery (http://www.loginrecovery.com/) :cool:

Bushfiva
3rd Oct 2007, 08:38
If one of you is reasonably computer savvy, you can boot the computer from Nordahl's boot floppy or CD. It includes an NT registry editor which can reset the admin password. Last time I used it, there were 3 conditions:

1) You need a PS2 keyboard, the boot disk doesn't load USB drivers.

2) Windows needs to have shut down cleanly.

3) If you're using XP's encryption features, encrypted files will be inaccessible after the password is reset.

There are also commercial tools costing from $40 to $200 or more, and also other ways of doing it for free.

Finally, if you you have multiple accounts on the computer and you can access one of them, you can use tools to reset the Admin password.

Finally finally, if you routinely don't log in as the administrator, you might have an "Administrator" account with a blank password you never knew about, and you can use that login to reset any other user account passwords, of course.

A2QFI
3rd Oct 2007, 09:17
Very many thanks for the great help, to date. Oddly enough, as the person has got into the computer once or twice, but mostly can't, I susepct a dodgy QWERTY keyboard and I shall get her to try with a different keyboard. Then we shall move on to the difficult stuff!

Bushfiva
3rd Oct 2007, 09:32
Yes, do try another keyboard, I've been down that path before.

If you suspect a bad keyboard, try "WindowsKey U" to bring up the Utility Manager, select "On Screen Keyboard", Start, then tap in the password with the mouse!

Saab Dastard
3rd Oct 2007, 10:30
Great tips there from Bushfiva - I have many times "recovered" lost passwords using a Trinux CD! I find it easiest to reset the Administrator password and then log in as that to reset any others required.

Obviously this can be used by a miscreant (aka offspring :O), so guard your recovery CD closely!

Thanks for the "utilities" tip, BTW - I thought that was only on Tablet PC edition!

<aside>

I believe that the on-screen keyboard will defeat keyboard-logging devices, so useful for the security conscious. Although anything transmitted in clear text over the network (internet) will still be visible (always ensure that https is in use for secure data!)

</aside>

SD

A A Gruntpuddock
3rd Oct 2007, 13:17
I had similar problems and did a web search for "XP" and "password" using a Linux distro (Ubuntu) off a computer magazine cover disk.

I found a cd image file for a bootable Linux program which showed all the passwords.

Ubuntu was able to create a cd using the image and I then re-booted using the cd.

Found it easiest to just reset the problem password to 'Blank' then change it once I got back into XP.

Sorry I can't remember the name of the program but I found it easily enough.:)

A2QFI
3rd Oct 2007, 19:50
Problem sorted, thanks for the links and info which I will keep for another day! Started in Safe mode, got into an Adminstrator account which did not appear in the normal startup desktop and was NOT password protected; thus got into the problem account and reset the password. Keyboard still erratic so for what it costs it will be replaced

Saab Dastard
3rd Oct 2007, 20:08
an Adminstrator account which did not appear in the normal startup desktop and was NOT password protected;

Oh dear, oh dear!

Windows XP default installation is as secure as a not very secure place in Unsecure City!

SD

Mac the Knife
4th Oct 2007, 08:46
"...an Adminstrator account which did not appear in the normal startup desktop and was NOT password protected;...."

This is one of XP's defaults, the TRUE* Administrator (i.e. root) has no password. This isn't quite as bad as it seems, since Administrator only appears as a logon option in safe mode and network logon as Administrator is disabled if the Administrator account has no password.

And if you've got physical access to the machine then all bets are off anyway.

SecPol (and closing unnecessary services) actually allows XP to be made quite secure, but it's a bit of a chore. *NIX on the other hand starts out pretty secure and if you want, you can lock it down tight as a mouse's ear'ole.

:ok:

* Users can be assigned Administrator rights, but are not THE Administrator (i.e. root)