PDA

View Full Version : Initial Class I in Madrid

TooFast
3rd Oct 2007, 05:48
Hi all,

I need to find a good and fast place in Madrid for an initial Class I.

Is it CIMA the only place?

Thank you all!

Toofast and fast

Mohit_C
3rd Oct 2007, 10:21
Hey TooFast,

I did my initial Class 1 Medical recently at CIMA and it took me about six and a half hours for the whole thing. I think that is the only place in Madrid.

TooFast
16th Oct 2007, 05:38
Ad how is it really?

How long does it take for certificate issue?

CIMA has a bad name beween pilots...

Strobe lights
16th Oct 2007, 06:45
Don´t go to CIMA if you can go somewhere else!! Ex-military people who thinks you should be a bionic man to be a pilot and keeps old-style norms.. No flexibility at all!!

Mohit_C
16th Oct 2007, 09:50
TooFast, after completing all the tests there they told me not to call them up and ask them for the results of the Class 1 Medical as it would be sent to my home by the "Aviación Civil". They said it would take between 30-40 days...and I should be expecting it between this and next week.

7574ever
16th Oct 2007, 10:24
They are extremely slow. But the problem is not only CIMA, it is "Aviacion Civil" (Spanish CAA) as it's them who decide whether you are fit or unfit.

CIMA is the only place in Madrid, however, you can choose some other places in Barcelona, Seville and Valencia. I heard they are better than CIMA and should be able to tell you if everything seems fine, but you can still expect the 40 day waiting time to certificate issue.

redout
16th Oct 2007, 14:01
Ok, CIMA or SEMA in spanish is not the only place in Madrid that can carry out the initial class 1. To the best of my knowledge there is three such facilities and they are:

Servicio Médico de Iberia LAE

Zona Industrial de Barajas
Aeropuerto de Barajas
Madrid

Hospital de Día
PÍO XII

Cuesta Sagrado Corazón, 4
Madrid

C.I.M.A.

Arturo Soria, 82
Madrid

I can personally recommend the Iberia facility at Barajas Airport. I having been there several times found it to be top notch and always had the medical in hand with 7-10 days. I have not been to the other facilities but have only ever heard bad things about the CIMA which is the main military hospital in Madrid.

7574ever
17th Oct 2007, 11:11
I can confirm that CIMA is the only place in Madrid for INITIAL Class 1.

Iberia Medical is great, but only authorised for renewals.

eurojunkie
30th Nov 2007, 06:05
I had my initial Class 1 done with CIMA in Madrid but be prepared to wait a long time for your results! The price of 330 Euros was quite attractive but don't go there if you plan to start with an FTO anytime soon.

It took them 3.5 months to send out my certificate which turned out to have my nationality as Purtuguese (I'm British). That resulted in another month's delay before they sent out a corrected certificate. I called them every week to ask what the delay was but kept getting fobbed off. First the doctor incharge if my file was off sick and then things slowed right down during the summer months. As far as i was told, these were delays from the Civil Aviation department, not the actual examination centre run by CIMA.

As far as the actual medical went, I don't think that you could get a more thorough one anywhere in the world. Be prepared to have your head wired up with a bunch of electrodes (they don't do this at Gatwick anymore) and also sit through 2 hours of written exams that test your spacial awareness and logic. As mentioned before it takes around 5 to 6 hours to do all the tests. The nurses are great and guide you through the whole process.

I hope it goes well for you.

Mohit_C
30th Nov 2007, 10:49
Well I guess I would have to change my second post because what eurojunkie says is very true. I did my initial Class 1 Medical in mid September and have been calling them since over a month. It's been almost two and a half months and whenever I call them they keep saying that one doctor needs to give the answer for it. When that doctor gets the answer, a second one needs to give another answer and so forth. I guess they go through the whole department for every single Medical test in order to give the result.

Mohit_C
17th Jan 2008, 11:51
An update to my last post. Exactly 4 months have passed since I did my initial Class 1 Medical test in Madrid and today I received it, which is a Duplicate because the original one got lost due to a strike in Correos.