PDA

View Full Version : AVIATION MEDICINE: Diabetes

Nickerbal
2nd Oct 2007, 16:01
Hi all, I would appreciate any info / feedback from guys that can tell me the true and thorough "scoop", recently my Quack said I have high blood sugar and it could turn into a "Type 2"

So far I am daily testing my sugar and it runs at about 5.75 - 6.2

I would like to know if my flying license is now "kaput" or not as I am interested to do my Commercial and still fly privately (I have my own aircraft) and just want to have a better license etc.

Please anyone that knows the scoop, or even a quack that reads this advise as I feel a bit scared to talk about this at my next medicla even.

Thanks all

gingernut
2nd Oct 2007, 20:19
I have high blood sugar and it could turn into a "Type 2"

You probably need to clarify this before we can give advise on which to base your future career. (Did he mention "impaired fasting glycaemia?")

Diagnosis is usually made upon blood tests. It's unusual to make a diagnosis upon just one result, unless you have "barn door" sympytoms.

The threshold for diagnosis depends on whether or not the test was performed after a fasting or not. (have a look at the WHO web site.)

In your case, home monitoring, is not helping with your diagnosis. Go back to your quack and ask for something more objective, (explaining the importance of the matter), in the meantime, are there any lifestyle changes you are willing to make which could make a diffrence?:)

Flyin'Dutch'
9th Oct 2007, 19:50
As GGN says.

Back to your doctor; get the appropriate tests and a diagnosis or not.

Start to lose weight; eat healthier; exercise more; lose weight; eat healthier; exercise more;

This is may not be the time to make a massive career change into an area where continued earning potential hinges on the ability to maintain a class 1 medical.