PDA

View Full Version : Management Styles

4tuna
1st Nov 2000, 00:56
Prepared to compare notes on your experiences of styles of management associated with the position of 'Ops Manager'.

1. Don't understand the concept of management, otherwise you will be expected to take charge.
2. Try to arrive & depart at the allocated time - sets the correct example.
3. Eat breakfast as soon as you arrive at the office, means you don't have to get up quite so early.
4. Have a 'fag' (ciggie) break at least every 10 minutes, that way people can't locate you at your desk.
5. Smile, make encourageing noises to those you work with, whilst putting the knife in behind their back. Amazing what internal e-mail can achieve.
6. Set aside at least 10 minutes a day to shuffle papers around your desk to give anyone passing your desk the impression that at least when at your desk you actually do work!
7. Ensure on a regular basis you arrange that all important hair appointment that must be on a work day. Days off are for doing those really important things.
8. Wonder round the building, gossiping about other staff - good for your moral - as you realise how good you are.
9. Essential to claim for additional days off for working outside of your contract hours. Great way to preserve your leave, especially when you haven't actually worked any.
10. Break as many rules in a day as possible, they only get in the way.

Well thats some for getting on with. I am sure many other ops staff can cite similar experiences they have suffered at the hand of the 'Ops Manager'.

boredcounter
1st Nov 2000, 03:54
4Tuna
How on Earth does your example find time in the day for the real important task.......

MOVING THE GOALPOSTS..........

First rule.
Rule one. Never let the Ops team Know what they are about.

Boss Raptor
2nd Nov 2000, 20:21
...And always make sure you have the best computer, best telephone, best chair, largest desk and glow in the delightful feeling that you have a much better set up in your office than in the ops. room...

We've all met that Ops. Mgr. for sure!

Big Tudor
2nd Nov 2000, 21:55
Missing 2 essentials off the list-

1. Devise as many statistic reports as you possibly can. Very useful for giving to night shifts.
2. Delegate as many of afore mentioned stats reports to anyone who happens to be passing the office at the time.

Maximum effect, minimum effort.

Jump Seat Rider
6th Nov 2000, 15:14
4tuna - here we go again. You obviously had (or have) a major ego problem with a certain person in Virtual Airlines at LTN. Why dont you just be open and say names and times http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif Maybe now that you are in the hot seat yourself (allegedly) you can get down to doing some work for a living rather than slagging everyone else off :)

If my memory allows - you were exactly the same in the early 80's down in LTN. I think maybe it's time you did give up airlines and grab hold of that lollypop http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

celtas
6th Nov 2000, 22:13
Well 4tuna thanks for the advertising .
You really are a sad person maybe you should go get a lollypop the kids give you sweets at xmas.You find it very difficult to have to answer to a woman obviously.I find it very hard as I covered for you many times, and do not expect too much from the staff as they had no respect for you whatsoever.I do wonder what your new employers would think of you using their time to slander on the net,remember aviation is a very small world.I pass by varios places on the way to Manchester and may pop in one day to have a chat.By the way Air Cordial is going very well and the staff are very happy including the flying staff so I dont know where you get your info.Anyway good luck on the net I am sure you dont need it as you are on there 6 out of the 8 hours in a working day.

y

you

you really are a a

Juliet November
7th Nov 2000, 09:03
4Tuna,

Would very much like to know what sort of company you are describing here. Must be an awfull place to work, but maybe it's just you who are stuck in the wrong line of work ?

Only one I will agree with is Big Tudor; managers have a love for stats matched only by our friends across the pond.

Smokin'

You splitter
7th Nov 2000, 21:26
Now come on be fair....

They may get up your nose now and again.
They may even get the best computer/office/telephone/salary.
They will take home a lot more money than you.
You may not see exactly what they do, and you may get a bollocking from them now and then.

But who do you think gets it in the ear when you drop a bollock?.
Who has worked their way through the ops room, doing what you do to get where they are now(usually!)?
Who fights for the budget(normally to no avail) to give you the (sadly lacking) resources you need to do your job?.
Who argues to keep your overtime pay?

They can't be all bad...... can they?

4tuna
11th Nov 2000, 02:58
JSR - so you read the posting and concluded it refered to, how did you put it, problem with a certain person in Virtual Airlines at LTN

I made no reference to any person, so it goes to show that as you readily identified with this it is all true :)

Oh and Celtas please don't delude yourself my back never needed covering. Or at least I think that is what you are implying I find it very hard as I covered for you many times, and do not expect too much from the staff as they had no respect for you whatsoever
Just like JSR you obviously recognised yourself from the posting ;) :)

Jump Seat Rider
11th Nov 2000, 14:06
Good morning 4tuna.

It's funny how you think I know who you are talking about but it actually refers to quite a few people at "Virtual Airlines" if you think about it. Even the many predecessors spent many cumulative hours outside choking on each others smoke. So I don't actually refer your comments to one individual ;)

Even many from the cargo side were choking in their smoke, eating their breakfast before starting work AND having hair appointments during work time. Question is, as an outsider of your ex-department, I ask the question "what did you do in your work time when not at work"??

Anyway, "Virtual Airlines" as we all know it is no-longer "Virtual". It's deceased - RIP

I wish you well for the future http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif