PDA

View Full Version : Alliance Airlines

NewFlybie
2nd Oct 2007, 06:59
Hi all

Hope you are well!

Well have very much been out of the flight attendant recruitment thing for a while and just getting back into it. I am wondering if anyone out there would be willing to share your previous experience with Alliance Airlines. Sort of things I would like to know are
* What they are like to work for
* What does the recruitment process consist of (i.e. group interviews,
panel interviews etc or just panel) I ask as there are one or two airlines
that still use panel interviews
* What to expect at group interviews
* How long does the whole recruitment process take
* What is the expected salary with Alliance (YES I dare ask that question
so many say we shouldn't ask) and are there allowances ontop of this?

I would love to hear from everyone who's been to their recruitment days recently and get your idea's thoughts and suggestions

Cheers

ozangel
3rd Oct 2007, 09:41
Hey.
I worked there for a couple of years - its a bit different now (ie theyre much bigger, the pay is better, and you dont do quite so much international).
The best thing about the company was the people you worked with - the pilots are down to earth and have been around the block a few times - youll need a good sense of humour and the ability to laugh at yourself. The cabin crew are awesome, theres been a bit of a 'changing of the guards', but I know the base managers in tsv, adl and per would do anything for their crew.
The flying was great fun, youll get to know some of your passengers by name, and many of them will know you by name and just how much they can get away with...
Annnyway, the important stuff... I'd assume nothings changed but I stand to be corrected:
Interviews:
First is a group (3 recruiters, usually including one pilot - up to 8 candidates). Candidates are asked questions in front of the group, one by one. Goes for about 90mins, and its looking at your ability to think on your feet. Youll be watched in the waiting area! Infact, youre being watched constantly.
If youre successful, youll be invited back for a 2 on 1, usually with a HR person and the FA manager. This can happen same day, or up to a couple of weeks later. Be prepared to answer questions derived directly from your CV - like be prepared to explain your claim to being 'empathetic' etc. They may even challenge your actions (whether right or wrong), just to see how you handle criticism... Goes for about 45mins.
Now, the waiting period, god only knows. I know of some who have waited over a year from that point, others like me who got called pulling into the driveway on the way home from the interview.
You dont have the job till you are in the air flying and have signed the contract (well thats how it used to be). So have a back up...
I dont agree with the way they do things all the time, and I cant say unpaid training was all that fun (nor being trained then held in an unpaid pool for months like was the case with another ground school), BUT the flying, the crew, and the passengers were the best i've had.
The pay:
Well it used to be about $24000, (so as a Cabin Manager your take home could be as low as $400 a week), BUT that is no longer the case.
Its gone up to around $30g-$32 base from what I 'hear', and with allowances and so on, its a liveable wage. One girl I know took mid 40s... I've been told its not all that much different to the $ at jetstar at the end of the day, except youre doing overnights.
Good luck...

PS: Forgot to mention - the recruitment process i mentioned was how it was done at head office in brissy. Recruitment in TSV was a bit simpler, sometimes just one 3 on 1 interview... Id assume they still adapt the style to suit the number of applicants they have at the time.

Attila_Hildmann
3rd Oct 2007, 11:28
Thanks for your insights ozangel,

I'd like to hear more! :)

Best Regards
Attila Hildmann

Moniker
3rd Oct 2007, 22:33
Hi.
My take on Alliance is:
It is an adhoc charter company compared to an airline.
There is a mix of international (using heavy crew) and domestic (and can use heavy crew for longer flights (ie BNE_TEF) flying ..
Company seeks longer time FIFO contracts SUPPORTED BY ADHOC CHARTER which means that rosters that are published can change to suit adhoc demands.
Company prides itself on being available on very short notice to provide assistance when required (referring directly to super urgent charter on behalf of the United Nations when Timor became nasty last year)
The company now has bases in ADL and PER not just BNE and TSV.
There isn't a huge turnover of staff - so therefore it must be doing something right!
The company has expanded somewhat since I left a little over 12 months ago.
The flying crew as I knew them was very stable, and generally an older more settled bunch that knew how to have fun!!
One of the better smaller companies around ...
As for salary - paid fortnightly via EFT .. allowances paid monthly - I know training has changed a little, last I heard was a paid training period, but there was a small bond ..

NewFlybie
5th Oct 2007, 02:47
Hi guys and gals!

Thanks so much for the invaluable information about Alliance. Very much appreciated. Any of you guys flying for other airlines??

Cheers

slide blower
3rd Nov 2013, 05:39
would anyone have more upto date info on alliance?.may have a start with them but do have concerns.
thanks.