PDA

View Full Version : Hour logging loophole?

Superpilot
2nd Oct 2007, 06:25
Just crossed my mind.

Say you and a friend both did a FAA PPL. For hour building you both chipped in to hire a very basic and relatively old twin. According to FAA rules then, you both could log P1. All you got to do then is convert to a JAA PPL and carry on your commercial training from there.

Advantage gained: Multi time built at minimal cost to each party. Sound like I found one? (a loophole that is ;))

Mercenary Pilot
2nd Oct 2007, 07:21
Isn't there a minimum hours requirement under FAA rules before you can do a multi rating? And also, from my experience, every local rental company requires a lot of twin hours before solo renting their multi engine aircraft out. Most who will lend low houred pilots a twin, insist that you take an instructor who will be logging those P1's as well I believe.

olliew
2nd Oct 2007, 13:33
Loop hole or no loop hole, ultimately if you get yourself a check ride claiming to have 3000 hrs when in fact/reality you've only got 300 any prospective examiner/employer is going to smell a rat and either cotton on to your dodgy log book or think 'wow, this guys got 3000 hrs and flies like a plonker'.
So the above example is a bit 'in extremis' but its just not worth cheating especially when in years to come you might have a couple of hundred people sitting behind you whilst all hell is breaking loose relying on your invaluable experience and expertise to save their lives and knowing that all will be OK 'cos your log book says so.....

Hufty
2nd Oct 2007, 13:47
Yup, even though it is in your logbook the JAA still don't recognise it as P1 time.

You can put whatever you want in your logbook but if you apply for a JAA CPL and credit that P1 time towards your 100 hours required, then you're technically telling porkies!

Good on you for trying to find the cracks in the system though to save cash :)

FlyingForFun
2nd Oct 2007, 15:51
Hufty has it, I'm afraid. The hours you count towards your JAR license must be logged in accordance with JAR FCL.

I flew with a pilot recently who has licenses from three different countries. He keeps three different log books, and logs each flight three times, using the different hour-logging rules that each country specifies. It's the only way he can quote his hours correctly with so many differences.

FFF
---------------

Nathan Parker
2nd Oct 2007, 16:47
According to FAA rules then, you both could log P1

Not sure what P1 time is, but sounds like you mean what the FAA calls PIC time. And no, the two pilots cannot both log that unless

1) The pilot flying is using a view-limiting device, and
2) The pilot not flying agrees to be PIC.

Nathan Parker
2nd Oct 2007, 16:50
Isn't there a minimum hours requirement under FAA rules before you can do a multi rating?

No

every local rental company requires a lot of twin hours before solo renting their multi engine aircraft out

Varies quite a bit in the US. Our flight school had a 15 hour minimum.